Regardless of whether you are installing QuickBooks Desktop for the first time or performing a regular upgrade of your QuickBooks version, QuickBooks installer may encounter EXEAdapter error or QuickBooks error 61686 that terminates the installation process. QuickBooks installation requires Microsoft .Net Framework as it is a Windows component that enables QuickBooks to exchange data with online web applications, and this error occurs when the Microsoft .NET Framework.xml file is damaged. There could be several reasons that can cause damage to the Framework.xml file. With this article, you will learn how to repair the damage in the .NET Framework.xml file and resolve the EXEAdapter error when installing QuickBooks.
QuickBooks error 61686 may need advanced tools to be eliminated, and thus for expert help, we suggest you call the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784 to contact the certified QuickBooks Expert team
What is QuickBooks error 61686 or EXEAdapter Error QuickBooks?
Whenever a user installs or upgrades QuickBooks, the QB installer first installs all the required components, and one of the most important components that QuickBooks needs to operate is Microsoft .NET Framework. If the Framework.xml file required for .NET installation is damaged or corrupt, it interrupts the installation of .NET Framework on your computer, resulting in QuickBooks error 61686 or EXEAdapter Error in QuickBooks.
Once you encounter an EXE Adapter error that can also appear as error 61686 on Windows, you get an error message “we sorry! Something went wrong with your installation. EXEAdapter error: InstallExe method received the system error from create process, command-“c:\user\asaeed\appdata\local\temp\premier_us27r1\ thirdparty\dotnet46\ndp46-kb3045557-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe”\q\norestart\chainingpackage QuickBooks system message – The component store has been corrupted”. The Error message notification also provides an option for troubleshooting the error that will take you to the article with basic troubleshooting steps.
Recommended To Read – Fix QuickBooks Error PS077
What Causes Damage in Framework.xml File that triggers exeadapter error QuickBooks desktop?
The corrupt Framework.xml file is not the only reason for the QuickBooks error 61686. The error also arises when the installer cannot find the file on Windows. The following are the reasons that cause issues with the Framework.xml file.
- Incomplete installation of Microsoft .NET Framework on Windows.
- Outdated version Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Windows is infected with a virus or a malware.
- The user has accidentally deleted the Framework.xml file.
Solutions to Effortlessly Eliminate the Exe Adapter Error when Installing QuickBooks
Users can eliminate the exe adapter error when installing QuickBooks by following a set of steps curated by the experts. The steps can get technical, but our team of certified technicians has tried to keep them as easy to follow as possible.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Reinstall or Repair Microsoft .NET Framework on Windows
A common reason for QuickBooks error 61686 is the damage to the Microsoft .NET Framework; therefore, the first step our experts suggest is to repair the framework.
- Close all the programs that are running on the system, including QuickBooks.
- Go to the Windows Start menu.
- Enter the Control Panel text in the text box and hit the enter key.
- The Control Panel will launch.
- Navigate to the Programs and Features and choose the Uninstall a Program option.
- Click on the Turn Windows features on or off option.
- Look for the .NET Framework on the index.
You must review the settings for the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
We will start with the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox. If the checkbox is not selected, follow the steps below.
- Turn on the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) by clicking on the checkbox next to it.
- Press OK and restart the system.
If you observe that the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox is already selected:
- You must click the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox and turn it off.
- Don’t turn it back on.
- Click on OK and restart the PC.
- Sign in to your system as admin and turn on the .NET Framework 4.5 again.
You must repeat the above steps similarly for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
Read Also – Resolve QuickBooks Error 1328
Troubleshooting Step 2: Make changes to the Framework.xml file
Follow the steps below if you have a downloaded QuickBooks setup file. Upon successfully completing this step, you will get rid of QuickBooks error 61686.
- Click the Start button on your keyboard and type %temp% in Search Programs and Files text box.
- Click the Temp folder from the top of the list.
- Double-click the folder that is named as your QuickBooks version.
- Now open the folder with the name of QBooks.
- Find and right-click Framework.xml file and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the name of the file.
- Download new Framework.xml file and move it to the QBooks folder.
- Try installing QuickBooks once again.
- In case you are unable to start the installation using Setup.exe file, then open QBooks folder and double-click QuickBooks.msi file first.
Follow the steps below if you have a CD for QuickBooks
- Create a copy of the installer file on your desktop.
- Now insert the QuickBooks CD into your computer and open the disk.
- Locate the folder that has the same name as your QuickBooks version.
- Follow Step 4 to 9 from the troubleshooting method mentioned above.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Download and Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to solve the QuickBooks exe adapter error.
Running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool rectifies issues with Windows components like MSXML, C++, and Microsoft .NET Framework. QB Install Diagnostic Tool will not only resolve EXEAdapter error from QuickBooks but will also get rid of other errors that arise during installation.
- Get QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the link.
- Download the file on your desktop.
- Exit all the applications that are running on Windows.
- Double-click the QB Install Diagnostic file from the desktop and follow the on-screen instructions for starting the repair process.
- Once the repair process completes, restart your computer once.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Download and Install Windows Updates
An outdated windows operating system can lead to multiple issues, including the exe adapter error when installing QuickBooks. To resolve the QuickBooks error 61686, you must update windows to the latest version, and here’s how.
- Press Windows + R key on your keyboard to bring the Run window.
- Type Control Panel in the text-box of the Run window and press Enter.
- Locate and click Windows Update from Control panel or type Windows update in the search box at the top.
- Open Windows Update and click Check for Updates.
- If Windows find any updates, then download the updates and click Install Now.
- After Windows finish installing updates, restart the computer and try installing QuickBooks Desktop application once again.
If you are still facing installation issues because of the QuickBooks error 61686, then it might be because of some obscure reason that is interrupting the installation process in the background of the computer. We might need to investigate the issues by examining the error on the user’s computer to provide a complete solution. Give us a call at +1- 855 738 2784 if you want to get in touch with one of our QuickBooks Certified Experts, who will provide you with an instant solution to the error on an immediate basis.
What is Microsoft .NET Framework, and how is it linked to QuickBooks?
QuickBooks requires Microsoft programs to operate the web-based application, and one of the programs is the Microsoft .NET Framework. Therefore, corruption or deletion of the .NET Framework can cause the exe adapter error when installing QuickBooks
What to do if the setup.exe file fails to start the installation of QuickBooks?
When installing QuickBooks from a CD, you may observe if the setup.exe fails to initiate the QuickBooks installation. In such a case, run the QuickBooks.msi file present in the QBooks folder.
Related Posts –
Quick Ways to Get Rid of QuickBooks Error 6190
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1722 With Expert’s Guide
Learn Effective Ways to Convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Convert QuickBooks Online to Desktop in Easy Steps