The QuickBooks error H505 indicates issues while accessing company files in the multi-user settings. The error suggests something blocking the multi-user connection to the server, pushing users for immediate and effective resolution. In this article, let’s investigate this commonly found H-series QB error in detail.
QuickBooks Multi-User Mode is among the various QB features, where multiple users can work on the same company file from different workstations in a network. Accessing the company file in a multi-user environment is as simple as accessing the file on your computer. However, the problem arises when QuickBooks, for some reason, cannot access the company file and gives the QuickBooks error Code H505.
If you are also getting an QuickBooks error message with Error code H505, then follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
QuickBooks error H505 can trouble users immensely by popping up unexpectedly and interrupting operations. If you’re frustrated and looking for a professional resolution to the issue, dial the Support Number +1- 855 738 2784. Our QB expert team offers immediate assistance to fix the problem
What Does QuickBooks Error Code H505 Mean?
There are several types of H-series errors that arises in QuickBooks and most of these are related to the network issues that evolve when you use try to access the company file stored on the server. Whenever QuickBooks face difficulties connecting with the server, it throws an H-series error on the screen. QuickBooks Error Code H505 is displayed when QuickBooks on the user’s computer is unable to connect with the other computer in the network that is hosting the company file. This error indicates that there are technical glitches in the network set up that is interrupting the connection between different workstations in the network.
QuickBooks error H505 appears with an error message stating a problem with the multi-user setup. It mentions the Error Code H505 and describes it as follows,
“This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs help connecting.”
“Here’s how to resolve this problem:
Open the Start menu on the computer where the company file is saved. Now, launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager. The Database Server Manager scans your files and restores your connection.
Get further instructions by clicking here.”
Users may get QuickBooks H505 error due to multiple reasons requiring immediate configuration. So, we have listed these triggers in the next section so you can identify what’s causing you the issue. It enables you to minimize time wastage and maximize value by implementing appropriate troubleshooting methods.
Reasons that Trigger QuickBooks Error Message H505
The following reasons are responsible for triggering QuickBooks error Message H505:
- Incorrect hosting set up of the QuickBooks Desktop application on the server that is hosting the company file.
- Windows firewall or a third-party firewall is obstructing the connection between the computers in the network.
- Damaged or corrupt Network Data file (.ND) which QuickBooks utilizes to establish a connection with other computers in the network.
- QuickBooks Desktop does not have the latest released updates installed. ( Update QuickBooks Desktop Now)
- Disabled QuickBooks Database Server Manager can lead to a QuickBooks H505 error.
- The H505 error emerges when the host computer’s IP address becomes inaccessible.
- Incorrect DNS settings also promote error H505 in QuickBooks.
- Having numerous workstations with hosting settings enabled may lead to the error h505.
- An unreachable or down server may push users to find the QuickBooks error H505 fix.
- QuickBooks require services like DBXX and QBCF Monitor Service to establish a connection between the server and workstations. If these don’t work or are deactivated, you will see error H505 pop up on the screen.
- Damaged or corrupt system files may also trigger an error.
Users need to rectify the situation by identifying and troubleshooting these causes. However, before we delve into the rectification section, let’s look into the indicators showing QuickBooks enterprise error H505.
Indications of QuickBooks Error H505
If you wish to know whether the error H505 in QuickBooks has infected your system, look for these signs:
- You will start facing issues enabling Multi-User mode.
- If you have opened a file or report in QuickBooks, it might close unexpectedly.
- You might also notice your system frequently crashing.
- An unresponsive Windows operating system is also a symptom of QuickBooks error H505.
- You will likely not be able to access the company data from the server.
- One most common symptom is the appearance of QuickBooks error code H505 on your screen.
- QuickBooks and other active programs in the background may also suffer from unresponsiveness, delays, and sluggishness.
- The mouse and keyboard-like peripherals do not receive commands timely.
All these signs force users to learn how to fix QuickBooks error code H505. So let’s dig into resolving the most troubling error.
The solution to Fix QuickBooks Error H505
Users can consider the following DIY solutions to fix the QuickBooks error message h505 themselves. However, before implementing the resolution methods, it’s better to consider the following critical points:
- Make sure QuickBooks is downloaded and installed correctly on your system.
- The complete QuickBooks Desktop version should contain license or database manager hosting only.
- The multi-user mode won’t work if you don’t install QuickBooks on the server. So, ensure the appropriate installation of the application.
- Ensure to download the QuickBooks app from official sources only. Otherwise, damage, corruption, and other errors risk may loom large.
- Log in to your QB program with admin details.
- Ensure to create your company file backups to protect yourself from data loss.
- Do not forget to download the latest payroll and application updates.
- Head to the Program Problems tab in QB Tool Hub and use the Quick Fix My Program utility.
- Activate QB Database Server Manager
- Check the firewall restrictions and clear them before proceeding.
Now, let’s move to the solutions for QB error code H505:
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release
Updating the QuickBooks application usually fixes minor bugs and glitches and presents the users with an upgraded version. Therefore, execute this solution by undertaking the following process:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Help, tab select About QuickBooks.
- From the Update QuickBooks window click Update Now button.
- Make sure to check-mark the New Features, Maintenance Releases and Reset Updates checkbox.
- Click the Get Update button.
- Restart QuickBooks and if prompted to Install Updates then click Install Now.
- Once the updates are installed restart your computer and try to open the company file again.
Solution 2: Create a New Company File Folder
Altering the location of the company file can help fix the error code H505 in QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the company file folder on the computer that is hosting the company file.
- Create a new folder on your desktop and paste the company file into it.
- Right-click the folder and select Properties.
- Under the Share tab select Advanced Sharing.
- Check-mark Share This Folder checkbox and click the Permissions.
- Select the Full Control checkbox for Everyone Group and click Apply and OK.
- Click Apply and OK once again and now try to open the company file again from the workstation.
Solution 3: Set Proper Hosting on Computers
Managing your hosting settings can fix the issues and glitches in the multi-user mode. Thus, undertake the following steps:
- On your Workstation open QuickBooks and from under the File tab click Stop Hosting Multi-User Configuration under the Utility option.
- Now on your Server that has the company file open QuickBooks and select Host Multi-User Configuration under the Files -> Utilities.
- Restart both the Server and the Workstation and try to open the company file again.
Solution 4: Check if the Workstation can Communicate with the File Hosting Server
Run a ping test on your server computer to ensure a proper connection between the server and workstation computers. Test the IP address connection as follows:
- Go to the Control Panel and select Network and Sharing Center.
- Click the Change Advanced Sharing Settings option and ensure the Turn on Network Discovery option is selected under the Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing area.
- Press Windows + R to get the Run program up on the screen.
- Type CMD and press Enter or click OK to run the Command Prompt program.
- Once you see a black and white screen on your screen, type the ipconfig/all command and run it by pressing the Enter key.
- Take a note of the server name and close the command prompt window.
- Now open the same command prompt program on the workstation computer and run the ping(your server name) command without the brackets.
- This command will send some data packets to the server and if your server receives all, you will notice no packet loss and this indicates there are no issues in the connection between the server and the workstation.
- Follow the same steps on each workstation that is giving you the error code H505.
- If some workstations can’t receive all the packets sent to the server, contact your IT team for further troubleshooting assistance.
Solution 5: Configure the Windows Firewall Settings
Configuring the Windows Firewall settings is essential for maintaining the security of your computer. With Windows Firewall, you can control inbound and outbound network traffic, specify allowed or blocked programs, and set rules based on ports, protocols, and IP addresses. Fine-tuning these settings helps safeguard your system from malicious threats and ensures that your network connections are secure.
- Press Windows + R and type Control Panel.
- Press Enter and search Windows Firewall.
- Click the Allow an app through Windows Firewall option.
- Click the Change Settings.
- Check-mark the box under the Public list for the QuickBooks application.
- If you don’t find QuickBooks in the list then click Allow another app option and browse QuickBooks.
- Click OK and then select the Public option for the application.
- Click OK and try to open the company file again on the workstation and check if you are still getting the Error H505.
Solution 6: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
A simple and quick solution to fix the H-series error codes is taking the aid of the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. This tool scans all the files and resolves the glitches automatically.
- Before beginning this step, ensure that QuickBooks Tool Hub is installed on your server computer with access to the network.
- After confirmation, install QuickBooks Tool Hub and run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from it to get rid of all the bugs and glitches.
Solution 7: Verify Services on the Server
This solution for the h505 QuickBooks error aims to verify that the QuickBooks services are running on the server system. You should implement the following steps first for QuickBooksDBXX, followed by QBCFMonitorService:
- Begin by going to the Start menu on the server system and typing in Run to open the Run tab. Alternatively, you can press Windows + R keys for Windows 8 and above.
- Here, you need to type services.msc and press Enter.
- Look for QuickBooksDBXX in the list, then with XX representing the QuickBooks version.
- Double-click QuickBooksDBXX and move to the automatic tab to locate the Startup type section.
- The service status should be either running or started, and if it’s not select the Start tab.
- Follow up by choosing the Recovery tab and restart the service from each of the following drop-down menus:
- First failure
- Second failure
- Subsequent failure
- Click Apply > OK to save all the changes.
- Repeat all the steps for QBCFMonitorservice.
Solution 8: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The Database Server Manager allows users to run files in multi-user mode by repairing glitches like QuickBooks error code H505. However, you’ll need to download and install QB Tool Hub in your system to use the QB database server manager.
To download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server computer, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the official website of Intuit QuickBooks and head to the QuickBooks Tool Hub page.
- Tap the Download Now button to download the installation file. Save the file in the default downloads folder or Browse for another place.
- Once the download is over, double-click the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) from the download location to start the installation process.
- Respond to the on-screen instructions to accomplish the QuickBooks Tool Hub installation on your computer.
- Once the installation is complete, you can double-tap the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon from your desktop or the Start menu and open it.
Note: The QuickBooks Tool Hub (1.6.03) requires installing the latest Microsoft .NET Framework and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (x86) on your computer. If you don’t have these components installed, the installation process will prompt you to download and install them.
If you encounter issues like the QuickBooks h505 error fix during the installation process, you can check the QuickBooks Tool Hub installation and troubleshooting guide on the Intuit QuickBooks website.
Further, if you wish to use QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the QuickBooks Tool Hub, you must take the following steps on the server computer. The workstations are other systems connected to the network:
- Launch QB Tool Hub and head to the Network Issues section.
- Opt for QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Ensure to install QB on a server; otherwise, it’ll prompt you to install it.
- If your company file folders are visible inside QuickBooks Database Server Manager, you should opt for the Start Scan option.
- However, if the files aren’t visible, you can tap the Browse option to reach the location of your company file and folder.
- The firewall permissions get rectified automatically when the Database Server Manager runs and scans the files. After the scan, click Close.
- Finally, launch QB on every workstation getting H505 QuickBooks. Navigate the File menu, and select Switch to Multi-user mode. If your server computer works as a workstation, check it too.
Solution 9: Ensure Permissions are Set Correctly
You should ensure the folders have adequate permissions to prevent unauthorized access to your QuickBooks data. Should only give access to users or groups that need it and limit the permissions to the minimum necessary for them to do their job. You should also regularly review and update folder permissions to ensure they are still appropriate.
The steps involved in setting up folder permissions in QuickBooks to rectify QuickBooks H505 error message are as follows:
- Open the folder that holds your QuickBooks company file. Do so by heading to the File menu and opting for File Explorer.
- Right-click the folder with the company file and select Properties.
- Click the Security tab, followed by Advanced.
- Here, opt for QBDataServiceUserXX. Arrange the following settings as Allowed:
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Read Attributes
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- Read Permissions
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Files/Write Data
- Write Attributes
- List Folder/Read Data
- Write Extended Attributes
- Further, head to Properties > Security Tab > Edit QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Click Add and type in the name of the user or group you want to give access to the folder.
- Pick Check Names to verify that the user or group name is correct.
- Once you have added the user or group, choose the user or group from the list.
- In the Permissions for Users or Groups section, opt for the permissions you want to grant to the user or group. For example, if you want to give the user or group full access to the folder, select Full Control.
- Click Apply and then tap OK to save the changes.
You may also need to adjust folder permissions for QB h505 error as follows:
- Tap the Start menu and opt for File Explorer.
- You may locate and right-tap any of the following folders to alter the permissions for:
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
Depending on your QB version, you may or may not have all these files and folders. Now, undertake the following actions to resolve error code H505 QuickBooks 2022:
- Right-tap these folders and opt for Properties.
- Choose Everyone on the Security Tab. (If Everyone is not available as an option, click Add and type Everyone > OK.
- Opt for Full Control, followed by Apply and OK.
Solution 10: Edit Windows Hosts File to Add your Server
Before proceeding with this solution to rectify error code H505 QuickBooks 2023, keep the following considerations in mind:
- Do not undertake this method if you aren’t technically sound or uncomfortable. Let IT and Microsoft experts handle it.
- These steps work well for computers with static IP addresses. The systems with dynamic IP addresses may face issues after restarting.
Now, let’s jump into the steps for this method of resolving QuickBooks error H505 on server:
Step 1: Learn your computer’s name and IP address
Grab a pen and paper in hand for this resolution. Also, access your server computer and workstations with admin rights. First, follow the steps on your server computer for QB error h505, then follow with the workstation.
- Launch the Run dialog box on the server computer by pressing Windows + R keys.
- Press enter after typing cmd in the Run window.
- Type “ipconfig /all” and ensure space after ipconfig. Then, hit Enter.
- Note your hostname and IP address or IPv4.
- Repeat the above steps for your workstations.
Step 2: Alter the Windows Hosts File
Follow these steps for the resolution of QuickBooks error h505 another computer on both the server and workstations:
- Shut down QuickBooks and head to the Windows Start menu on the server computer.
- Click Computer and head to either of the following:
- Double-tap the Host file and click Notepad.
- Type IP addresses and the computer name corresponding to them. Use the Tab key on the keyboard for space.
- In the server computer, you should enter the workstation’s IP address and computer name.
- In the workstation system, put the server computer’s IP and computer name.
Step 3: Save the Changes to the Host File
Finally, the last step in resolving error code h505 QuickBooks 2021 is saving the changes to the host file:
- Head to the File menu in the Notepad and opt for the Save option.
- Under the File name field, then enter “hosts” with quotation marks.
- Click Desktop, followed by Save.
- Locate the file you saved just now, right-tap, and hit Copy.
- Click Browse to head to the file location used in Step 2, which is either:
- Look for the host file, right-click, and tap the Rename option.
- Change the name of the host file to host.old, and click Continue.
- Hold the Ctrl + V keys on the keyboard and click Continue.
Hopefully, these steps will rectify the h505 error QuickBooks on your computer.
Solution 11: Rename your Network Data File
Change the Network Data file to resolve corruption and remove error code h505 QuickBooks. To change a damaged network data file in QuickBooks, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks, select File, then Utilities, and Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Launch the folder that contains the QuickBooks company file and locate the network data file (with a .nd file extension) for that company file.
- Rename the .nd file by adding “old” to the end of the file name (e.g., company_file.qbw.nd.old).
- Open QuickBooks and select File, then Open or Restore Company, and then Open a Company File.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the QuickBooks company file and select the file with a .qbw file extension.
- QuickBooks will automatically create a new .nd file for the company file.
- Pick File, Utilities, and then Host Multi-User Access to turn on multi-user access for the company file.
Solution 12: Disable your Firewall
Turning off your firewall completely can expose your computer to potential security threats. However, if you still want to turn off your firewall to resolve error h505 in QuickBooks desktop, here are the general steps:
- Tap the Start menu and search for “Windows Security” or “Windows Defender Firewall.”
- Access the Windows Security or Windows Defender Firewall app.
- Hit the “Firewall & network protection” option.
- Select the currently active network (e.g., “Private Network” and “Public Network” checkboxes).
- Toggle the switch to turn off the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Hit the Apple menu and select “System Preferences.”
- Select “Security & Privacy.”
- Tap the “Firewall” tab.
- Opt for the lock icon in the bottom left corner and enter your administrator password.
- Pick the “Turn Off Firewall” option.
Note: Turning off your firewall can expose your computer to potential security risks. If you need to temporarily disable your firewall to troubleshoot error h505 QuickBook or allow a specific program to access the internet, be sure to turn it back on as soon as possible.
Solution 13: Use System File Checker
Follow the steps given below to resolve h505 in QuickBooks desktop:
- Exit QuickBooks and any other open programs.
- Tap the Windows icon to open the Start menu and search “Command Prompt.”
- Right-click “Command Prompt” and opt for the “Run as administrator” option.
- In the Command Prompt window, type “sfc /scannow” and click Enter.
- The System File Checker will begin scanning your system files for errors or corruption.
- Wait for the scan to finish. It may take some time, so remain patient.
- Once the scan is complete, you will see a message indicating whether any issues were found and if they were fixed.
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer.
Note: Running the System File Checker can help fix issues like h505 QuickBooks desktop with your QuickBooks program, but it may not always be successful. Suppose you continue to experience problems with QuickBooks after running the System File Checker. In that case, you may need to repair or reinstall the program or seek assistance from a QuickBooks support professional.
Solution 14: Repair QuickBooks
The following steps explain how to repair the QuickBooks application and resolve errors:
- Shut down QuickBooks if it is currently open.
- Open the Windows Control Panel by clicking the Start menu and searching for “Control Panel.”
- Tap “Programs and Features” or “Add or Remove Programs.”
- Look for QuickBooks in the list of installed programs and select it.
- Tap the “Uninstall/Change” option.
- In the QuickBooks Installation window, choose “Repair.”
- Hit “Next” and follow the prompts to complete the repair process.
- Once the repair is complete, restart your computer.
Alternatively, you can use your system’s Settings (gear icon) for the same results:
- Tap the Windows icon on the keyboard and launch the Start menu.
- Select Settings.
- When you open the Settings window, navigate to the Apps section.
- Further, select Apps and Features.
- A list of currently installed programs will appear on your screen.
- Look for QuickBooks desktop from this list.
- Select the three dots at the end of the application name and choose the Modify option.
- Click and let the repair process finish seamlessly.
- Hopefully, QuickBooks error H505 will resolve automatically.
As the QuickBooks Error H505 occurs because of network issues, there are possibilities that you can again get the same error or the error might not get resolved even after following all the troubleshooting steps. In such conditions, we suggest users call our QuickBooks Desktop Error Support +1- 855 738 2784 for help and better support.
Are There Any Points to Remember Before Implementing the Troubleshooting Solutions for QB Error H505?
Yes, you must consider the following before initiating any solution:
- Maintain backup of the company files.
- Ensure the latest version of QuickBooks is installed.
- Use QuickBooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix My Program Tool.
- Configure firewall settings to eliminate obstructions.
- Initiate QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Which Windows OS gets Infected by this Error Frequently?
Usually, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 get infected by this error. Therefore, seeking professional assistance or knowing the troubleshooting solutions is critical to resolving them at the earliest.
Related Posts –
Facing QuickBooks Error 15242? Get Experts Guide!
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15263 Like a Pro!
QuickBooks Freezing? No Problem! Get Solutions Here
How to fix QuickBooks Error 1603 without technical knowledge
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1903 with easy Methods