QuickBooks error 15103 interrupts while the user tries to update the QuickBooks application. If you’ve encountered this error and can’t seem to resolve it, this blog is for you. Here you will find detailed information about the error, when it appears, where it comes from, and how to remove it fully.
Sometimes errors and issues occur while updating the QuickBooks application or the payroll function. One such common error is the QuickBooks error 15103, which prevents the user from performing the update process. The error usually occurs due to a damaged or corrupted file, although there can be other possible reasons for this error.
The error 15103 QuickBooks Desktop states that the update program is damaged or cannot be opened, and thus, you need to address this error code immediately. In this article, we are going to talk about the QuickBooks error code 15103 in detail, along with its various reasons and effective solutions to eliminate it.
If you are having difficulty understanding the steps or fixing the error on your own, you can call us at +1- 855 738 2784 and get immediate assistance from our support team
What is QuickBooks Error 15103?
Error code 15103 in QuickBooks Desktop emerges when the user download the QB Desktop update or payroll. Incorrect configuration is among the many reasons leading to this issue. When a user faces this problem, they are unable to access the improved features that come with the update. Downloading, updating, installing, or uninstalling becomes challenging when this error is present.
This error also appears in multi-user mode as it restricts the user from accessing the company file in such settings. The 15103 error QuickBooks Desktop appears as follows:
Error 15103: Unable to open the update program
Error 15103: Update program is damaged
Before diverting attention towards troubleshooting, it is essential to outline the reasons that trigger the error. It will help you implement the correct step, just like taking the right medicine when you fall ill.
QuickBooks Update Error 15103: Possible Causes
The factors that might be contributing to the QuickBooks error code 15103 are –
- Microsoft Internet Explorer is not correctly configured, and you need to perform a reconfiguration.
- QuickBooks is unable to verify the digital signature of the file.
- QuickBooks is not correctly installed, or the installation files are either damaged or corrupted.
- Windows registry issues can also cause the error code 15103.
- There is some virus or malware infection that has infected QuickBooks.
- Some essential Windows files are corrupted or damaged.
- Your Windows OS is outdated and might not be compatible with your current QuickBooks version.
- An unsuccessful QuickBooks installation can also lead to the update error.
- Poor network connectivity can cause error 15103 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- The time and date settings on the PC are incorrect, causing incompatibility in applications.
- Firewall settings may be interrupting the app’s access to the internet.
Read Also – Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Not Working Error
Solutions for Addressing the QuickBooks Desktop Error 15103
The QuickBooks error message 15103 can be easily rectified by following the solutions provided below –
Solution 1 – Run the QuickBooks Reboot.bat File as a Windows Admin
You need to run the reboot.bat file by using your admin rights to resolve QB error 15103.
- Find the QB icon and right-click on it to select the Properties menu, followed by selecting the Open File Location option.
- Type reboot or reboot.bat in the search box and right-click on the file to select the Run as Administrator option.
- Click Yes and restart your PC to rerun QuickBooks and check the status of the error code.
Solution 2 – Download the Latest QB Updates and Upgrade QuickBooks Desktop
You need to update QuickBooks to the latest release to fix any errors and glitches that might be causing the QuickBooks update error 15103.
- From the C drive, go to the Program Data menu and open the QuickBooks Folder to go to its components.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop to go to the QuickBooks Help menu and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Click on Reset Update from the Update Now tab and select the Get Updates option.
- Let the downloads complete, and once done, rerun QuickBooks and select Install Now to install the recently downloaded updates.
Solution 3 – Run the QuickBooks Tool Hub Utility to Fix the Application Issues within
Run the QuickBooks Tool Hub to utilize the different tools within and fix the issues with your application.
- Download the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the Tool Hub utility.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the Program Problems tab to activate the Quick Fix my Program tool to run a repair.
- Check if the error code is fixed and if not, go to the Company File Issues tab to select the QuickBooks File Doctor utility.
- Browse your company file and select the Check your File and Network option to repair file and network issues.
- Click Continue and provide your admin password to complete the repair process to resolve the QuickBooks Desktop error 15103.
Solution 4 – Switch to the Windows Safe Mode from the Run Window
You need to reinstall QuickBooks by activating the selective startup mode and eliminate the error.
- Press Windows + R to open the Run window and type msconfig to run the command.
- From the General tab, checkmark the Selective Startup option and uncheck the Load System Services option.
- Click OK and restart your system to rerun QuickBooks and check the error status.
- Lastly, switch back to the Normal Startup Mode and start your computer again.
Recommended To Read – How To Fix QuickBooks Error PS038
Solution 5 – Install and Import the Intuit Digital Signature Certificate
Install the digital signature certificate to resolve the QB error code 15103.
- Go to the Program Files tab from the C drive to select your current QB version and type QBW32.exe.
- Right-click on the QBW32.exe file to select the Properties and go to the Digital Signature tab.
- From the program list, select Intuit and click on View Certificate to install it.
- Select the Install Certificate option and hit Next to complete installing the digital signature.
- Hit Finish and let the import process end to restart your PC. Download the update again and rectify the QuickBooks update error 15103.
Solution 6 – Check for Windows Updates and Install the Recent Available Updates
You need to upgrade your Windows OS to the latest version to get rid of the issues while updating the program.
- Right-click the Windows Start icon and select Settings to go to the Update & Security section.
- From the Windows Update section, select Check for Updates and download the recent updates.
- Click on Download and Install to complete the update process and install the Windows OS updates.
- Restart your PC and make sure that your Windows OS is compatible with your current QB version.
- Rerun QuickBooks and try updating the application again to see if the QuickBooks error message 15103 is eradicated.
Solution 7 – Fix QuickBooks using Windows File Repair
Damaged, and corrupt files offer various problems including error 15103 in QuickBooks. Therefore, Microsoft provides various tools to fix such files, which includes Windows Repair. Implement it as follows:
- Begin by exiting all the running programs on the computer. Task Manager can help you to check for programs running in the background.
- Right-click the Taskbar and a menu will open from which you need to open Task Manager.
- Hit this program and tap ‘End Task’ to close all of them. Ensure to close all so that further process doesn’t get interrupted.
- In the Windows search space, type Control Panel and click the top result to launch this window.
- Go to the Programs and Features option and select the option that says Uninstall a program in the control panel.
- In the next window, you will see a list of programs currently installed on your computer. Click the current QuickBooks version you are updating and choose the options Uninstall/ Change. Confirm this decision by clicking Yes.
- An uninstall window will emerge on the screen where you need to click Next.
- In the following Window that appears, you will find the choice to repair or uninstall the program from the system.
- Here, tap Repair and click Next.
- Even if Windows shows an error that a particular window is open, ignore it if you have followed the initial steps thoroughly.
- After finishing the repair process, start your computer again and launch QuickBooks.
- Now, see if the error persists while updating.
Solution 8- Clean Install QuickBooks application
Use the Clean install tool to get rid of the troubling error 15103 in QuickBooks Desktop as follows:
- Begin by following the uninstallation procedure of the QuickBooks Desktop by going to the Control Panel > Programs and features > Uninstall a Program.
- Now, you need to download the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool, install it by accepting the instructions and license agreements, and run it.
- Next, rename the QuickBooks installation folder manually.
- End by reinstalling the QuickBooks Desktop and seeing if the error 15103 persists.
You May Also Like To Read – Resolve QuickBooks Won’t Update
Solution 9- Edit the Internet Explorer Settings
Incorrect configuration of internet explorer can cause QuickBooks error 15103 to erupt. Thus, adjust these settings as follows:
- Open Internet Explorer on the Desktop and move the cursor to the gear icon.
- Here, choose Internet Options.
- Visit the security tab > Trusted sites > Sites
- After reaching here, add the following sites to the trusted sites list:
While the above are for US cities, you must change the extension from .com to .ca for Canada.
- Hit the close button after adding the above details
- Choose the option Apply, then OK and see if the error is gone.
Solution 10 – Configure Firewall Settings and Manage Windows Defender
Safeguard and secure your QuickBooks files by setting up the firewall and Windows defender. Incorrect firewall configuration can damage QuickBooks files, especially while downloading updates or reinstalling any version. Undertake the following actions:
- Go to the Windows Start menu and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Next, move to the port monitor tab and take your port number into account to add it to the firewall exceptions later.
- Look into your current QuickBooks version, find the port number, and hit the option that says Next.
- Now, choose the Allow Connection option on the screen and then, Next to proceed further.
- Ensure all profiles are marked and click Next.
- Now, form a rule and give it a name like QBPorts(year).
- Once done, hit Finish and end the process.
Solution 11: See the Internet connection and QB Settings
- Configure your antivirus and firewall to ensure that the QuickBooks files have sufficient incoming and outgoing internet access.
- When the firewall isn’t configured, it causes QuickBooks errors like the 15103 error QuickBooks Desktop to emerge.
Solution 12: Turn the User Account Control Off Temporarily
UAC can get disabled temporarily so enable it to resolve the error. Also, restore the security settings as soon as the error gets fixed.
- Type UAC in the search bar of the Start menu.
- Click the “Modify User Account Control Settings. Option on the screen”
- Whatever window opens, you need to move the slider to “Never Notify.”
- Now, click OK and restart the system.
Errors while updating the QuickBooks application and the payroll function are common. The QuickBooks error 15103 can be easily addressed by following some effective steps. Follow the solutions provided above, and if the error code persists, you might need advanced troubleshooting. You can call us at +1- 855 738 2784 and get assistance from our team of experts to fix the issue.
How can QB Error 15103 get Rectified?
You can resolve QB error 15103 as follows:
- Use QuickBooks Tool Hub and several of its tools like Quick Fix My program.
- Install and update the QB application in safe mode.
- Download the digital signature certificate.
- Configure internet explorer and windows firewall settings.
- Switch to normal mode from selective startup after installation is done successfully.
What form does QB error 15103 appear on the screen?
QuickBooks error 15103 has the following signs:
- The error message comes as a notification on the screen.
- Windows may freeze or perform sluggishly.
- QuickBooks and other active programs may not respond to mouse and keyboard inputs.
Related Posts –
Safest Methods to Handle the QuickBooks Payroll Error PS032
Worried about QuickBooks Error PS034? Here’s a Quick Guide
QuickBooks Error 15311 | Explanation, Reasons, and Solution