The infamous QuickBooks Error 6123 starts when a user tries to restore the backup of the company file. The error appears out of the blue without any prior indications and interrupts QuickBooks company file operations. Certain factors and technical glitches responsible for QuickBooks Desktop error 6123 can get resolved effortlessly by implementing the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article. Identifying the error-causing reasons can save you a lot of time, so we have also listed the most common reasons that provoke QuickBooks error messages 6123, 0. Read out the entire tutorial for complete troubleshooting instructions.
QuickBooks error 6123 must be taken seriously as it is related to the company data and can cause permanent data loss. Get Direct Assistance from Certified QuickBooks Experts by dialing our Support Number +1- 855 738 2784
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0?
Once the QuickBooks 2023 error 6123 is triggered in the QuickBooks Desktop application, QuickBooks displays an error message “Error: -6123, 0 We’re Sorry, QuickBooks can’t open the company file.” This error generally appears when users attempt to open, upgrade, or restore their company files. It can also show up while accessing files on a network. However, no matter the problem, users face significant troubles operating their company files. So, it’s crucial to address this problem to continue using it as usual.
Users are also instructed to follow the standard troubleshooting procedure to resolve company file errors that include running QuickBooks File Doctor and Updating QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Shutting down some programs and modifying the company file can help resolve the issue. Unfortunately, basic troubleshooting alone isn’t always enough to eliminate error 6123 0 QuickBooks, and you will require additional troubleshooting to fix the issue. The error description as it appears in QuickBooks is given below.
Problem Connecting to Server
Error: -6123, 0
We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file. Here are a couple of ways to fix the problem:
- Run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Make sure your server is set up for the QuickBooks Database manager.
IMPORTANT: Before troubleshooting the error, make sure to Update QuickBooks and take a backup of your company file manually to a safe storage location to avoid data loss due to any mishap while troubleshooting .
Recommended To Read – Getting QBDBMgrN Not Running on This Computer Error
What Causes QuickBooks Company File Error 6123, 0?
Following are the reasons responsible for provoking QuickBooks error 6123 0.
- Utilizing an outdated QuickBooks Desktop application is one of the prominent reasons QuickBooks displays error message 6123.
- Damaged QuickBooks company file not only triggers error 6123 in QuickBooks but also accounts for several other 6000 series errors.
- If you are trying to restore the backup from an online or an external storage service like Dropbox, a flash drive, etc., then also you might face error 6123 in QuickBooks.
- If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not running on Windows.
- The network connection on the server computer is pretty poor.
- The firewall network might be blocking the connection to the server hosting the company file, leading to QuickBooks error code 6123.
- If Windows OS is damaged or outdated, it may cause this problem.
- Changing the system name of the PC while hosting the company file can lead to this error.
- This error is sure to appear when people have multiple QuickBooks servers running on their systems.
- While using McAfee antivirus, if the Block Web Bugs filter is disabled, it can lead to error code 6123 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Opening the same company file on any other QB version can also lead to this error.
NOTE: QuickBooks company file can only be accessed from QuickBooks Desktop application and if you try to open it using the Windows explorer by directly double-clicking the file, then QuickBooks will throw error code 6123. Make sure you are accessing the file from within the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Due to these reasons, users need to learn how to fix QuickBooks error 6123. This error leads to problems in opening the company file, restoring it, or upgrading it. So, the following troubleshooting solutions can help fix the issue.
Top Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Problem Connecting to Server Error:- 6123,0
Here are the top solutions you need to undertake to resolve the error 6123 QuickBooks:
Run QuickBooks Desktop Update
QuickBooks Desktop if left outdated not only attract errors but is also responsible for degraded performance. Keeping your QuickBooks updated ensures that it is free from bugs and other issues that can negatively affect the end user experience. For complete information on updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version, follow our article How to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Released Version. If installing the updates did not help you resolve QuickBooks company file error 6123, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Install and Run QuickBooks Tools Hub
As you might already be familiar with QuickBooks Tool Hub that it is a collection of different tools that can be used to rectify almost every error that QuickBooks encounters. Quick Fix My Program is a tool that is specifically developed to refresh QuickBooks installation and re-register the installation files that helps eliminate general company file and program errors like error 6123 in QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the instructions given below to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix My Program Tool:
- Click HERE and download QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop application by selecting Exit from the File menu.
- Open the downloaded setup file QuickBooksToolsHub.exe from the download location.
- Follow the prompts on the installation wizard screen to complete the installation.
- Double-click the QuickBooks Tools Hub icon on your Desktop.
- Select Program Problems tab from the left pane and then click Quick Fix my Program.
- Once the program repairs the application, close the tool and run QuickBooks again.
- Try to take the backup of your company file and check if the QuickBooks error 6123, 0 is resolved.
If QuickBooks Desktop error code 6123 continues to bother you, then this indicates damage in the company file that can be resolved by running QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor. Follow the next step for detailed instructions.
Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor to Repair File Damage
For complete info on downloading and running QuickBooks File Doctor, follow our article How to Fix Damaged Company File or Network using QuickBooks File Doctor.
If you are able to access the company now, then the error is resolved. If you are getting a 6123 error QuickBooks while restoring the company file from an external storage device, follow the next troubleshooting step for a quick fix.
Restore the Backup from Local Storage
- Navigate to the QuickBooks backup file folder which is usually located inside the QuickBooks company file folder.
- Look for the file with .qbb extension having the same name as your company file.
- Copy the backup file to the local storage of your computer.
- Now open QuickBooks and restore the company file that you have moved to the local storage.
- In case QB error 6123 still persist, then this must be happening because of restoring the company file on a new computer. Follow the next troubleshooting step to get error 6123 fixed while restoring the company file on a new PC.
Rea Also – How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6073 and 99001
Restore the Backup using the Portable Company File
Sometimes, due to security reasons, QuickBooks only allows you to restore the company file on the same device where the backup file was created. If you are trying to restore the backup file .qbb on a new device other than the one where it was created, then you can get QuickBooks 6123. The solution to getting around this issue is to create a portable company file .qbm instead of the regular backup file .qbb. Follow the instructions given below to rectify the issue quickly:
- Open QuickBooks on the old device where you created the backup and click the File tab.
- Now select Create Copy and choose Create Portable Company File.
- Click Next and enter a name for the company file.
- Select the location where you want to save the company file and click Save and OK.
- Now move the portable company file to the new computer where you want to restore the backup.
- Open QuickBooks > Click the File tab > Select Restore a Portable File > Hit Next.
- Now browse the portable company file with .qbm extension and click Open.
- Carefully read the instructions given on the Where do you want to restore the file page.
- Finally click Next and click Save before opening the company file.
If you still can’t access the company file due to 6123 0 QuickBooks, the actual reason might be hidden deep in the installation of QuickBooks Desktop. Such issues can only be resolved by installing a fresh copy of QuickBooks Desktop after completely getting rid of all the traces of current installation. You can run QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to reinstall QuickBooks completely. Then, check QuickBooks error 6123 resolve QuickBooks 2023.
Fix the Damaged Data Files
It’s possible that your .nd Network Data and .tlg Transaction Log Files are damaged or corrupt. They may lead to QuickBooks error 6123 after update, causing you trouble accessing the application. Changing the name of the file can create a new error-free file. So, fix the damaged data files as follows:
- Go to the Windows Start button and search Explore.
- Visit the location of your company file and right-click the company file with the .nd extension. It would be companyfilename.qbw.nd.
- Right-click this file and choose the Rename option.
- Add the .old to the QuickBooks .nd file, making it companyfilename.qbw.nd.old.
- Press Enter to save these changes, and now check if you have learned how to fix QuickBooks error 6123 0.
Utilize the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
The in-built QuickBooks utility to verify the company data for any errors and rebuilding the file to repair these issues is quite useful. Users can utilize this method to resolve QuickBooks error 6123. The following steps need to be taken for the same:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Access the File menu.
- Check the Utilities option.
- Click the Verify Data option.
- The process will yield errors affecting the QuickBooks file.
- After doing so, you need to follow the steps to rebuild the data.
- To do so, go back to the File menu.
- Opt for the Utilities option.
- Choose Rebuild Data utility.
- Run it and let all your errors dissolve.
Modify QB Hosting Settings
The next solution you can implement is changing the hosting settings of the QuickBooks application to resolve error 6123 QuickBooks Desktop. The following steps are essential for this method:
- Go to the QuickBooks Desktop app and open your company file.
- Move to the file tab.
- Switch the file to single-user mode if it is in multi-user mode.
- Alternatively, go to the File menu, opt for the Utilities option, and choose the Stop hosting multi-user access option.
- Now, again host the multi-user access by going to the File menu, opting for the Utilities option, and choosing the option that says host multi-user access.
- Hit Yes when a dialog box asking to switch to multi-user access hosting appears.
- End by going to the File menu and switching to the multi-user mode from the single-user mode.
You May Also Like To Read – What is QuickBooks Data Migration Service
Transfer QB files to a new location
The next method involves moving QuickBooks files to a new location to check if the error lies with the location of the company file or the file itself. Do so as follows:
- Right-click on your desktop screen and choose the option named New, succeeded by Folder.
- After creating the new folder (give it any suitable name), go to the folder where your company files are saved.
- Copy these files from this location through the Ctrl + C keys or Right-click > Copy.
- Now go back to the new folder you created and press Ctrl + V or Right-click > Paste.
- Now, attempt to open the company file through the new location. It will let you know the root origin of the error.
Form a new Windows user
If the current Windows user is not running on admin credentials or is facing trouble running with the admin privileges, a new Windows user account needs to be created. You can do so as follows:
- Go to the Control Panel and hit the Create a New User option in the User icon.
- Set the user type to Administrator.
- After doing so, log out of the existing user account.
- Reboot your system.
- Log back in with the new user account that you created.
- Move the company files to the desktop.
- Open QuickBooks and try accessing the company file and see if QuickBooks error 6123, 0 persists.
Reboot the system in Safe mode
Third-party interferences in accessing QuickBooks application and company files can lead to 6123 QuickBooks. In such cases, switching to the Safe mode can assist users in eliminating the problems created by these applications or parties. You can do so by
- Reboot your system.
- While restarting, constantly press the F8 key.
- You will see options regarding switching to Safe mode.
- Choose Safe Mode with Networking option and start running the system in this mode.
- Hopefully, you won’t see the error when you prevent the other parties from creating problems.
Disable antivirus and firewall
Another way to eliminate error 6123 QuickBooks is by disabling the antivirus and Windows Firewall applications. However, ensure to use this method for a temporary period until your problem resolves, and you are able to open, upgrade, or restore your company file. You can also remove the blockages created by the error by configuring the Windows Firewall port settings.
If you are still facing issues/difficulties resolving QuickBooks error 6123, 0, then contact our support team by giving us a call at +1- 855 738 2784. Our support team will immediately look into the matter and will resolve it for you completely in the shortest time.
While configuring the firewall settings, what programs can you add to manage error 6123?
You need to add the following programs to your firewall settings to release any blockage:
What else can you do to resolve QuickBooks Error 6123?
You can resolve QB error 6123 by doing the following:
- Remove the special characters from your file name to ensure it adheres to the prescribed limits.
- Using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery (.adr) file can also help fix error 6123.
- End background tasks on the Task Manager by right-clicking and choosing the End Task button.
- Restart all the QuickBooks database services.
What are the pre-requisites to remember while troubleshooting QuickBooks error 6123?
The following prerequisites need to be run when you need to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6123:
- You need to update your QuickBooks Desktop application to the latest version.
- Restart your computer once before you begin with the troubleshooting solution.
- When the QB company file is hosted on the server, check if the QuickBooksDBXX service is running.
- Update Windows/ Mac before running the application.
Related Posts –
Let’s Fix Problems Converting QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Effective Ways to Get Rid of QuickBooks Error 1920
Effective Fixes to Eliminate QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
Learn to Use QuickBooks Condense Data by Experts
Getting QuickBooks Migration Failed Unexpectedly Issue? Fix it now!