QuickBooks won’t open while trying to access it can be really hard on a user. On one end, the tool presents numerous functions and benefits, and on the other end, it doesn’t even open access to these features. Such annoyance can be really challenging to handle. However, there’s nothing to worry as we provide an effective and detailed guide for users to be free of this issue easily.
QuickBooks is a useful tool for small and midsize business owners who come from a non-accounting background. It can integrate with otherworldly office applications and systems while keeping up with your bookkeeping needs. It is hard for such people to imagine even a single day of work without accounting software. However, what would happen if the QuickBooks Desktop Won’t open or take endless time to start? It could be a nightmare for your busy schedules, and with no technical know-how, you cannot solve the error quickly. In today’s blog, we will discuss the reasons behind the problem and state the possible solutions to help you out.
Wouldn’t it be scary when you require to run an important financial report on the system and QuickBooks won’t open? Dial +1- 855 738 2784 anytime to get immediate help on the line resolving issues that can cause QuickBooks to crash
What does QuickBooks Won’t Open Error in Windows 10 Mean?
Users may encounter QuickBooks won’t open in Windows 10 issue after they update their QB software. This issue prevents users from accessing their company files, as QB doesn’t even start. Not being able to access the QB application, company files, and other features affect a user’s productivity, taxing, invoicing, and other abilities and routine tasks considerably. Therefore, an adequate response is necessary to fix QuickBooks not opening issue as soon as possible.
Why my Desktop QuickBooks won’t open?
When QuickBooks wont open even several minutes after the command, one of these reasons is responsible or deemed to be causing this problem. Take a look.
- The system’s hard drive is damaged and can’t sustain to open as big software like QuickBooks.
- The data file name is too long or consists of some special characters.
- QuickBooks will not open because the operating system is not updated or parallel to your QuickBooks version.
- The process of QuickBooks installation was faulty.
- The product registration file (QBWUSER.INI) is corrupted, leading to QuickBooks won t open issue.
- There might be an issue with the upgradation of Windows, leading to this error.
- You can’t open QuickBooks because of compatibility issues between the software and Windows.
- QuickBooks might also crash when internet connection issues arise and there’s an incompatibility between the two (QuickBooks and internet settings).
- If you’re trying to use an invalid method to access the file, you may face QuickBooks open but not showing error.
- Issues with the company file can bring forth this notable error.
- Inadequate permissions to the Windows user may also lead you to search “Why my QuickBooks won’t open”.
- Some program files may have gotten damaged, leading to QB not opening errors.
- Sometimes, when you click the QuickBooks icon more than once within a few minutes, QuickBooks doesn’t open. In such cases, you just need to wait for the app to load and appear on the screen.
Hopefully, you have gotten enough points to know about your query, “why won’t my QuickBooks open.” Now, let’s look into the signs that this error exhibits that cause this issue to emerge and interrupt users’ work.
Read Also – Fix QuickBooks Company File Won’t Open Issue
Recognition Factors for QuickBooks won’t open after the update
Your QuickBooks won’t open after update is one sign that an error has infected your system. Other issues include:
- Your QuickBooks Desktop might freeze or hang periodically due to problems opening QuickBooks.
- The Windows Operating System might work slowly, especially if it’s not upgraded.
- Many active programs and devices might hang or freeze when the QuickBooks desktop not opening.
- The regular mouse and keyboard inputs might not lead to any response.
- You might not be able to access your company files before you search My QuickBooks desktop won’t open.
Now that you’re aware of the factors causing this issue and the way it affects a user’s functioning, it becomes critical to know its fixes. So, let’s dive into the troubleshooting solutions to rectify why won’t QuickBooks open error.
What can I do when QuickBooks will not open?
You can first try renaming your company file and keeping it under 65 characters (no special characters) when you cant open QuickBooks. Before proceeding with the solutions mentioned below, you need to implement the following things:
- You need to update your software to the latest version when QuickBooks is not opening.
- Also, try to turn the hosting system off.
- Next, attempt suppressing the QuickBooks Desktop software when you cannot open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Take the backup of your company files.
- Repair your QB Desktop
- Modify the name of the .ND and .TLG files if they’re damaged and causing issues related to QuickBooks not opening after update.
Below are some other solutions you can try when you experience trouble opening QuickBooks.
Solution 1- Run Quick Fix my Program Utility from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to repair QuickBooks won’t open issue
The Quick Fix my Program is a part of the tool hub that scans the application for any program-related problems and fixes them if found.
- Exit from the QuickBooks and open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- If you don’t have the tool hub installed on your system, download it from the Intuit website.
- On the left side of the tool hub, click on Program Problems.
- Look for the Quick Fix my Program option and click it.
- After the issue resolves, start QB Desktop again.
Solution 2- Stop QuickBooks from automatically Opening the Company File
Sometimes, QuickBooks can be stuck in a loop while trying to open the company file manually. To troubleshoot the issue, the user can open the data file manually by following the given steps.
- Press the CTRL key and keep holding it while double-clicking the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- A window stating No Company Open shall appear. If it doesn’t, repeat the steps and do not release the CTRL key unless it comes up.
- Choose the latest data file you want to work on and click on Open.
If QuickBooks will not open after update, check the following solution.
Solution 3- Initiate QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool in the Tools Hub
Issues that might have occurred during the time of installing QuickBooks Desktop can be fixed by running the install diagnostic tool. It will help you fix QuickBooks won’t open after Windows 10 update issue.
- End the QuickBooks task from the Task Manager and go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- On the left-hand side, click on Installation Issues.
- Choose QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to run it.
- Wait for the tool to fix the problem and reboot your computer.
- Try opening QuickBooks Desktop again and proceed with the next solution if you can’t get QuickBooks to open.
Recommended To Read – QuickBooks Already Has a Company File Open
Solution 4- Repair QuickBooks from Windows built-in Repair Feature
There is another way to repair damaged applications using the Windows application repair feature that you can access and utilize via the given steps. Let it fix QuickBooks Desktop won’t open issue.
- Before proceeding to this solution, make sure to create a backup of your company file.
- Restart your system and press the Windows key.
- Under the Start menu, click on Control Panel.
- Choose Programs or/and Programs and Features and select Uninstall a Program.
- Search for QuickBooks in the list of programs and click on Uninstall/Change.
- Click on Continue and then Repair.
- After the Repair is done, click on Finish and restart the system again. If you still can’t open QuickBooks Desktop, follow the next solution.
Solution 5- Perform Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop via Clean Install Tool
The clean installation method removes any junk or residual files that could hinder the proper functioning of QuickBooks, triggering QuickBooks Desktop will not open issue. Before running the clean install tool, uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop from your computer.
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the Clean Install tool.
- Run the tool and after it completes the deletion of the residual files, install QuickBooks Desktop again.
Solution 6- Delete QBWUSER.INI File and Re-register the QuickBooks Desktop application
Deleting the QBWUSER.INI file will remove the product registration information, and the user can register the QuickBooks again by following the given steps, thereby fixing the QuickBooks won’t stay open issue.
- Go to the Local C:\ Drive and open the Users folder.
- Locate the folder with your user name and open the AppData folder in it.
- Double-click on the Intuit folder under the Local directory and open the QuickBooks[year}] folder.
- Look for the QBWUSER.INI file and delete it.
- Go to Desktop and right-click on the time display at the screen’s bottom right corner.
- Click on Adjust Date/Time and set the date if it’s not correct.
- Click on Apply and select OK.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop again and select Help.
- Click on Activate QuickBooks and select Begin Activation.
- Enter the product validation code and click on Next to register it.
Solution 7- Install Latest Windows Updates
Sometimes, bugs in currently installed updates can hinder processes that support QuickBooks Desktop, and updating Windows can help eliminate any such bugs. The following instructions will help install the latest released updates of Windows and fix QuickBooks doesn’t open error.
- Go to the Control Panel using the Start menu or by manually searching it from Windows Search.
- Select System and Security and then Windows Update.
- Click Check for Updates, and if any updates are available, you will see the option to install them.
- Click the Install option and restart your Windows.
- Windows will not install all the updates before starting.
- Try to run QuickBooks now and check if the issue is resolved.
You May Also To Read – Getting QuickBooks Migration Failed Unexpectedly
Solution 8: Run QuickBooks in Windows Safe Boot Mode
Performing this solution will confirm if there is some other application interfering with QuickBooks.
- Press Windows + R and type MSConfig in the Run box.
- Press Enter or click OK to open the System Configuration Utility.
- From under the General tab check-mark the Selective Startup option and click Apply and OK.
- Once the changes are saved, restart Windows and run QuickBooks.
- If QuickBooks is functioning normal now, this indicates that some other program installed on your Windows operating system is interfering with QuickBooks that you must get rid of.
Solution 9: Close the QBW32.exe Process
Follow the steps mentioned below to fix QuickBooks won’t open error:
- Right-click the Windows Taskbar and choose the option that says Task Manager. Alternatively, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Further, choose the Processes tab and hit the Image name option to set the apps into an alphabetical sequence.
- Find QBW32.exe processes, right-click it, and choose the End Process button.
This option will let you get rid of the QuickBooks not opening error.
At this point, we would like to conclude our blog on the user query – “Why QuickBooks won’t open” and how to resolve the issue. We hope that you find the content on this page informative and that it helps you in evading the problem away from your system. However, if that’s not the case and the problem keeps coming back, dial +1- 855 738 2784 and get an expert’s assistance anytime.
How to suppress QB Desktop to fix the QB won’t open error?
Follow the steps mentioned below to suppress QB Desktop:
- Right-click the QB Desktop icon.
- Hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard and press Open until the No Company Open window appears.
- Now, launch the QB Desktop.
Are there any other methods to troubleshoot QuickBooks not opening error?
Yes, other methods you can implement to fix the QB desktop not opening error are as follows:
- Access the company file from any other location.
- Restart your desktop.
- Restore your company files or backup.
- Create a new Windows user account to access QuickBooks.
Related Posts –
QuickBooks Not Responding When Opening Company File? Quick Fixes
QuickBooks is Unable to Open Company File: Solutions that Actually Work!
QuickBooks Crashes When Opening Company File : What to do next?
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 77 – Best Solutions
How to Fix “Company File In Use QuickBooks” Error Message