QuickBooks error 6190 may restrict the users from accessing the company file. If you’re the one struggling with this issue, you need to read the blog till the end and satisfy your inquiries.
With QuickBooks, it is pretty easy to manage business accounting, and as it is accounting software, there is always a possibility of getting errors. Most of the QuickBooks errors are related to the company file, and one such error that we are going to discuss in this article is QuickBooks Error 6190 816.
The chances of getting error 6190 increase when the company file or the network is damaged. Once you encounter errors 6190 and 816 QuickBooks Desktop, it displays “QuickBooks is Unable to Open this Company File Error Codes: (-6190, -816)“. For detailed troubleshooting instructions, follow the complete article until the end.
QuickBooks errors 6190 and 816 can break your back. But take this blog as your guide or get immediate troubleshooting help from QuickBooks experts by dialing the Support Number +1- 855 738 2784
What is QuickBooks Error 6190 816?
QuickBooks Desktop error code 6190 and 816 appears when you are using QuickBooks in multi-user mode, and QuickBooks is experiencing issues connecting with the company file located on the server in the network. This happens when one or more users in the network are running their QuickBooks Desktop in Multi-User Mode, which is only supposed to be enabled on the server computer. The error message that appears on the screen displays:
“QuickBooks is unable to open the company file. It may have been opened by another user. You should ask that user to switch to multi-user mode so that you can both use the company file simultaneously. This file could also be located in a read-only network folder. Error Codes: (-6190, -816) or QuickBooks Error 6190 Multiuser Not Working”
You might also see a slightly different error code with the same error message that appears as “QuickBooks error 6190 83“, so don’t get confused as both are the same errors.
Recommended To Read – Fix QuickBooks Error 1722
Symptoms that Indicates the Presence of QuickBooks Error 6190
You may notice the following signs when affected by QuickBooks error code 6190. These will help you confirm the error code and allow you to implement the related troubleshooting steps.
- The first and the most common symptom of getting error 6190 is the appearance of an error message that reads, “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file 6190.”
- You might also notice that your QuickBooks Desktop has started working slowly.
- Your Windows PC might not respond to your commands.
- Other programs might also stop responding, which may reflect QuickBooks error 6190 77.
- In rare instances, the mouse and keyboard run sluggishly.
Now that you’re confirmed as having been infected by QuickBooks errors 6190 and 816 let’s understand the reasons for the same.
Possible Causes for the Occurrence of QuickBooks Error Message 6190 816
The following points explain the triggers causing QuickBooks to be unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user issue.
- The most common reason your QuickBooks starts displaying error code 6190 is the corruption in the company file.
- General errors in the QuickBooks program files can also be a reason for getting QuickBooks error code 6190 816.
- .ND and .TLG are the program files that QuickBooks Desktop uses for its operations, and if there is corruption in these files, then also you can fall into the same situation.
- If you have saved the company file on the server and the workstation faces issues connecting to it, you may land into QuickBooks is unable to open this company file it may have been opened issue.
- When you try to access the company file from an external storage device, your system can’t connect to it.
- The QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 may also arise due to update failure while updating the company file on another computer without updating the transaction log file.
- Further, another user accessing the company file in single-user mode may lead to QuickBooks 6190 error.
- Infection by malware or virus can cause the QuickBooks 6190 error.
Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
Before troubleshooting the QuickBooks is unable to open this company file error, make sure that you are logged in as an administrator on your Windows PC. If not, then right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select Run as Administrator to access QuickBooks as an administrator.
Solution 1: Repair File Damage using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool that helps deal with general issues in the network and company file. Once you run QuickBooks File Doctor, it automatically scans and identifies the issues to resolve them. Follow the instructions below to repair the damage in the company file because of QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816 using QBFD.
- If you are using QuickBooks Desktop 2019 or later, click the Help tab and select QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- In case if you have an older version of QuickBooks Desktop, search QuickBooks Tool Hub on the official QuickBooks website.
- Download and save the Tool Hub installation file named “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” to a location where you can quickly access it after the download completes.
- Run the installer file, and by agreeing to the license agreement, complete the installation process.
- If you can’t find the Tool Hub icon on the desktop, search it from the Windows search and run it.
- You can now select the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool under the Company File Issues tab.
- Browse or manually select the company file that is having issues, and QuickBooks File Doctor will automatically repair the damage in it.
If QBDT couldn’t identify or resolve the QuickBooks error 6190, 816, jump to the next method.
Read Also – Ways To Convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Solution 2: Utilize Quick Fix My Program Tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub
Quick Fix My Program is a tool that quickly refreshes QuickBooks Desktop installation and re-register the installation, and helps resolve common application errors like QB error code 6190. Follow the instructions listed below to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix My Program Tool:
- Click HERE and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Open the downloads of your computer and double-click the QuickiBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once the tool hub is installed, close QuickBooks and any other open program.
- Now run QuickBooks Tool Hub using the desktop icon and move to the Program Problem tab.
- Click QuickBooks Fix My Program to refresh the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- It might take up to a minute for the tool to refresh QuickBooks.
- Once the tool Refreshes QuickBooks Installation, open the company file again in QuickBooks.
If the QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816 continue to bother you, then follow the next troubleshooting instructions and force QuickBooks to create new network data and transaction log files.
Solution 3: Rename QuickBooks .ND and .TLG Files
Damage in QuickBooks .ND and .TLG files are potential reasons for triggering errors like 6123. By following the steps listed below, we will rename the QuickBooks configuration files, which will then force QuickBooks to create new ones with no corruption, thus fixing error 6190 and 816 QuickBooks.
- Open Windows File Manager and navigate to the QuickBooks Installation Directory.
- Usually, QuickBooks Desktop is installed in C: \ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\Intuit\ QuickBooks\.
- Locate the files with the same name as your company file but with .ND and .TLG extension.
- Right-click each file and select Rename.
- Add .OLDFILE at the end of the file name.
- Open QuickBooks and try to open the company file now.
- If you are still getting the error code 6190 QuickBooks, follow the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 4: Restart all the Computers in the Network including the Server
Sometimes, when complex troubleshooting doesn’t work, a simple restart can do wonders. The following instructions will help you restart both server and the workstation computer which can help resolve error 6190 in QuickBooks desktop.
- Go to the server that is hosting the company file and restart it.
- Now restart every workstation that is connected to the network.
- Open QuickBooks on the server first and then run it on the workstations.
- If still, you are getting QuickBooks error code (-6190, -816), then follow the next step and move the company file to the local storage.
Solution 5: Move QuickBooks Company File to the Local Storage
It is pretty easy for QuickBooks to access the company file that is saved on the device’s local storage compared to accessing it from the server or the cloud.
- Copy the company file from the server to a USB storage device.
- Now move it to the workstation on which you are trying to open the company file.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and access the company file from the local storage.
Solution 6: Check the Single-user Mode
Opening a company file already in use by another user in single-user mode can prompt QB error 6190. Fix it by implementing the following steps:
- Start your system again.
- Copy the data file from its source and paste it to the desktop.
- Now, again copy and paste it to the original location.
- Sign into QuickBooks using your credentials.
Still, if you found no luck resolving getting rid of the “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file it may have been opened by another user” error message, you can try repairing QuickBooks Desktop installation using QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool.
These are some troubleshooting methods that you can follow to quickly troubleshoot the 6190 QuickBooks. However, if the problem still exists, and your system is still displaying QuickBooks error code 6190 816 while opening the company file, we suggest you get in touch with one of our experts at +1- 855 738 2784. Our experts have years of experience troubleshooting such company file errors and can provide you immediate assistance resolving the QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816.
Will updating QuickBooks or Windows work to fix the 6190 error QuickBooks?
If none of the troubleshooting methods works, you can consider updating your QuickBooks application and Windows OS to fix the Error 6190 QuickBooks Desktop. The Help menu in the QuickBooks application has the option to Update now if you Run as administrator. Similarly, you can update Windows from the Control Panel and reboot the system to implement the changes.
Name other ways to fix QuickBooks error -6190, -816.
Alternative ways to fix the error code 6190 are as follows:
- Use QB Refresher Tool.
- Update QuickBooks and Windows.
- Repair the QuickBooks registry files.
- Conduct System Restoration.
- Eliminate temporary folders from the system.
- Run antivirus or malware scans.
- Install QB database server manager.
Related Posts –