QuickBooks error 15270 interrupts the payroll update procedure, causing users to face troubles in using the payroll feature seamlessly. It is a common error with easy solutions for resolution. However, knowing the triggers for the error beforehand is crucial for resolution. So, let’s look into ways to fix the error effectively with step-wise instructions.
QuickBooks is the first and foremost choice of small and mid-sized businesses to deal with payroll chores. QuickBooks Payroll, like other computer applications, also requires regular updates for smooth operations, as updating the app removes bugs and glitches from the app. A common error that several users encounter while updating payroll is QuickBooks payroll update error 15270, which appears on the screen with an error message “[Error 15270] The payroll update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file.” This article will help you eliminate the update error code 15270 in QuickBooks.
Has QuickBooks Error 15270 made payroll updates impossible for you to access? Ring the QuickBooks Experts at the toll-free number 1.855.738.2784 now and receive immediate professional assistance and resolution.
What QuickBooks Error 15270 is?
QuickBooks update error 15270 is a payroll update error that strikes when you click the “Download Latest Updates” option in the “Get Payroll Updates” window. Once the error hits, it throws an error message that reads, “Error 15270: The (payroll) update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file.” This clearly indicates that QuickBooks can’t download one of the payroll update files required to update payroll in QuickBooks due to some faults.
Several reasons might trigger the QuickBooks error 15270 Windows 10, including invalid EIN or not entering the correct security key. We need to look into these matters beforehand to ensure it doesn’t become challenging to handle later.
What Causes “The Update File is Missing Error 15270”?
Several reasons affect QuickBooks payroll updates. Check out the list of reasons mentioned below and try to figure out what reason might have caused the QB Error code 15270 to pop up in your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Your internet connection got interrupted during the update process.
- The updates you are trying to download and install are not compatible with the Windows version you are using.
- Other than the update process, some of the other QB processes are also running in the background of the computer, leading to QuickBooks error code 15270.
- If your computer is infected with a virus or other types of infections.
- If the QuickBooks Desktop application is not completely installed or installed with errors.
- Inactive or expired payroll subscriptions can also cause an update error code 15270.
- You have entered an incorrect Employer Identification Number or Service Key.
- Internet Explorer is not set as your default internet browser.
- Incorrect automatic update configuration set by the user might lead to QuickBooks error 15270 payroll.
- UAC settings might be interrupting the update download procedure.
- Windows Firewall might have restricted the QuickBooks update process.
- Some essential files to run QuickBooks might not be available, damaged or corrupted.
- Corrupt Windows programs might also lead to error 15270 QuickBooks.
Considerations to Avoid Error 15270
Take the following points into consideration if you wish to avoid error 15270:
- Follow the streamlined update procedure by clicking Finish and following the on-screen instructions.
- Attempt to open the QB software and undertake the necessary modifications per the needs of the admin user.
- Ensure that you have the latest and genuine software version of QuickBooks at all times.
- Try to update the procedure after restarting the system or postpone the updates to a less busy time on the servers for a seamless update process.
How to Get Rid of 15270 Error Message in QuickBooks Payroll?
Implement the following solutions to resolve error 15270 QuickBooks:
Troubleshooting Step 1: Check Internet Connection for any Issues
Internet connectivity issues cause breaks during the update process, triggering problems like error 15270. Follow troubleshooting step 1 – Verify Internet Connectivity from our article on Payroll Update Error 12029 to fix internet connectivity issues.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Set Internet Explorer as your Default Internet Browser
Internet Explorer works best with the QuickBooks application updates and operations. So it would help if you made it the default engine when fixing QB error 15270.
NOTE: Avoid using Edge Browser in place of Internet Explorer, as it is currently not supported by QuickBooks.
- Access Internet Explorer on your Windows.
- From the top right corner, click the Gear icon and then click Internet Options.
- Now under the Programs tab, click Make Default.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Verify the Payroll Service Key in QuickBooks
Your Payroll service key may not be correct and trigger update problems like QuickBooks error 15270. However, you can fix this issue as follows:
- Open QuickBooks, and from under the Employees tab, move your cursor to My Payroll Service and select Manage Service Key.
- Now under the QB Service Key window, click Edit if you see your payroll service listed and click Add if there is no payroll service shown in the window.
- After you click Edit, note down the Service Key and then click Remove.
- On the confirmation window, click Yes.
- After removing the Service Key, click Add.
- Now enter your Service Key and Employer Identification Number, then hit Next and Finish.
- Now click OK on the Payroll Update window and make sure your payroll subscription shows an Active Status.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Verify your Payroll Subscription with QuickBooks
If your QB Payroll subscription isn’t active, you won’t be able to update the program. So, attempt its verification for a quick error 15270 resolution. Follow troubleshooting step 2 – Verify your QuickBooks Payroll Subscription from our article on Payroll Update Error 15276 for payroll subscription verification.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Run QuickBooks Reboot.bat file
Operating the reboot.bat file can be an effective fix for QuickBooks error 15270:
- Exit the QuickBooks Desktop application and right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop.
- Click Properties and then select Open File Location.
- Locate and right-click the Reboot.bat file in the QuickBooks folder.
- Now click Run as Administrator and wait for the process to register all the QuickBooks files to Windows.
- Once the DOS window disappears, restart your computer and check the status of error 15270.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Rename Paysub.ini File on Windows
A damaged Paysub.ini file can trigger QB error 15270, and its resolution requires renaming the file. Follow Troubleshooting step 2 Rename the Paysub.ini file from our article on Verify Payroll Subscription Error to resolve any issues with the Paysub.ini file.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Scan Windows using Antivirus and Malware Tool
If none of the troubleshooting helps, then this error might be a result of an infection present on your computer. We suggest you install an antivirus and a malware removal tool to remove any infections present on Windows.
Troubleshooting Step 8: Install QuickBooks Tool Hub on the System
QuickBooks Tool Hub offers all the utilities and features in one place to fix various issues, including Network, Company File, Installation, etc. Whatever error you experience, the tool hub is your answer to the problems. So, the procedure to download and install the QB tool Hub on your system is as follows:
- Visit Intuit’s website to find the download link for QuickBooks Tool Hub and also click it now.
- Now, the download procedure will begin. You can either save the file per your preference here or get it to the downloads folder and save it from there. Choose anyone and complete downloading the file and saving it on the system.
- Once your download finishes, you need to go to the folder where the file’s downloaded and look for the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Double-click this file and initiate the installation by accepting the prompts appearing on the screen.
- Once all the prompts are finished, and installation is done, you are ready to open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Now, open and access the various sections and tools available in the Tool Hub to fix the errors.
In QuickBooks Tool Hub, you will find the following sections to resolve the error 15270:
- Program Problems: If your program has damaged or missing components, you might experience issues like error 15270. In this section, you will find the Quick Fix My Program section.
- Installation Issues: Improper or incomplete installation of the application can lead to error 15270. You need to resolve them by running the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Advanced Tools: Run other advanced tools whenever needed to complete the payroll update.
Troubleshooting Step 9: Modify the System’s User Account Control Settings
UAC interfering with the download of your update file can lead to QuickBooks Error 15270. Fix the error as follows:
- Close your QuickBooks application and press the Windows icon to go to the Start menu.
- Click the Control Panel and visit the User Account section.
- Select the Classic View User Accounts, and then hit the Change User Account Control Settings option.
- Hit the Yes option, and if UAC prompts, move the slider to Never Notify to disable the UAC.
- Select the OK key and restart your computer.
- After your update installs completely, execute the steps given above again, and move the slider back to Always Notify to enable it.
Troubleshooting Step 10: Run the Windows Repair Tool
The existing QuickBooks files will be re-created once you run the Windows repair tool. It is useful when the corrupted files on the QuickBooks folder interfere with the payroll update. The repair tool recreates these files.
However, before you attempt to run this solution, you need to create a backup of your company files. It will ensure they remain protected. Also, restarting after backing up will ensure no interference from third-party applications.
- Open the Run window from the Windows + R keys pressed together on the keyboard.
- Here, type Control Panel and press Enter to launch the Control Panel window.
- In the CP Window, you need to go to the Programs and Features section.
- Here, select Uninstall a Program and find the QuickBooks application from the list of installed programs.
- However, you won’t be uninstalling the application. Instead, you will be modifying/ repairing it.
- Select the Repair button and let the process finish.
- In the end, click Finish and reboot your system.
- Now, try updating QuickBooks and Payroll to the latest release.
Final Step to Remove 15270 Payroll Update Error
We understand that removing QuickBooks Error 15270 from QuickBooks can sometimes be a tiresome task as it involves a lot of troubleshooting, and thus we are always ready to help in such situations. You can call our Payroll Support Number 1.855.738.2784 to connect with one of our Payroll experts, who will help you resolve QuickBooks errors in the shortest time possible. We also provide the QuickBooks Data Migration Service.
Fix QuickBooks error 15270 by undertaking clean installation, reinstalling QuickBooks in selective start-up mode, running the .DLL and .OCX files through reboot.bat files, and other procedures mentioned in the guide above. QuickBooks Tool Hub utilities, User Account Control configurations, resetting firewall configuration, etc., can also be effective in fixing QuickBooks error 15270. You can also attempt to ring the QB expert to resolve errors professionally.
Error 15270 appears due to the following:
Unrecognized product or service keys
Canceled payroll subscriptions
Crucial files that get damaged files
Virus and malware infections
Corrupt Windows and QB installation
Poor internet connection
Incompatibility between updates and the operating system
Internet Explorer not being the default browser
Automatic updates may be set incorrectly
Windows User Account Control Settings are misconfigured
Damaged Windows programs interfere with QB’s operations
Updating payroll brings QuickBooks error 15270 due to various glitches. There is a problem with downloading or installing a payroll update. Various factors, such as a corrupt QuickBooks installation, an incomplete update, or issues with the User Account Control settings, can cause this error. It’s essential to address Error 15270 promptly, as it can disrupt payroll operations and compliance. Troubleshooting steps may involve:
1. Updating QuickBooks to the latest version.
2. Verifying subscription details.
3. Ensuring proper system settings to resolve this error.
QB error 15270 hinders download or payroll updates, interrupting the process with an error message. A conflict between QB and firewall software or partial app installation will lead to this problem. Instantly addressing Error 15270 is essential, as it can disrupt payroll functions and compliance. Resolving it usually involves measures like updating QuickBooks to the latest version, verifying subscription details, and ensuring proper system settings to ensure smooth payroll processing.
The QB error 15271 pops up with an error message and a lagging update screen. Some common scenarios that lead to error 15270 include:
1. An incomplete or interrupted update process.
2. User Account Control settings prevent the update.
3. A damaged or corrupt QuickBooks installation.
4. Incorrect or outdated subscription information.
When any of these issues occur, Error 15270 is triggered, disrupting the payroll update and requiring troubleshooting to resolve the issue and ensure smooth payroll processing.