QuickBooks error 15240 accompanies several descriptions, indicating an incomplete payroll update, company file error, or internet connectivity issues. Regardless of these interferences, you need an immediate solution to continue working with QuickBooks uninterruptedly. Hence, we have brought this comprehensive rectification guide to resolve the error completely.
QuickBooks is considered one of the most trusted accounting applications by small and mid-sized businesses and individuals working as freelancers. Its popularity is its amazing accounting features that ease the difficult task of managing vendors, customers, employees and filing various taxes online. It is essential to update QuickBooks and its features regularly for uninterrupted operations, but sometimes while updating payroll, QuickBooks encounters errors. One such error that we are going to discuss in this article is QuickBooks Error 15240 that interrupts the payroll update and gives the user an error message “Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully.” Follow the complete article for detailed information.
Are you struggling to update payroll and use QuickBooks efficiently without QuickBooks Error 15240? Ring our QB specialists at their helpline at +1- 855 738 2784 to get the issue resolved entirely
What does QuickBooks Error 15240 Mean?
QuickBooks 2023 error 15240 emerges when you are downloading the payroll or QuickBooks Desktop update. It appears on your Windows desktop with the following error messages:
“Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully.
File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.
Internet connection error: unknown error”
QuickBooks error code 15240 may arise due to misconfigured Internet Explorer security settings, firewall, and incorrect system time and date. It would be best if you looked into resolving the error as soon as possible to fix the issue effectively.
What Cause QuickBooks Update Error 15240
Updating QuickBooks and its features requires proper internet connectivity and correct application setup. Whenever the QuickBooks desktop application experiences internet connectivity issues, it throws different errors on the screen. Down below we have listed all the other reasons that cause QuickBooks to encounter payroll update error 15240:
- You are using an outdated version of the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Your Windows user account has admin rights to perform specific actions on QuickBooks Desktop.
- You are running the QuickBooks Desktop application in a multi-user environment, which is unsuitable for installing QuickBooks updates.
- Windows having registry errors.
- Incomplete or corrupt installation of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Improper Internet Explorer security settings.
- Incorrect Date and Time of the system.
- Third-party firewall application is interrupting the download of the update file.
- Although the shared download is active, the download link may be incorrect, wrong, or invalid, leading to QB error 15240.
- The last QuickBooks update might be damaged, triggering an error.
- Any other application or program might have removed essential QB files accidentally.
- Poor or unstable internet connection may lead to this error.
Recommended To Read: How To Fix QuickBooks Error 15241
Signs you’re getting QuickBooks Error 15240
When you experience QuickBooks update error 15240, you may face the following signs:
- You can’t download and install the latest QuickBooks updates.
- Updating payroll also becomes a hassle.
- Working on payroll will be troublesome.
- Your Windows performance becomes sluggish.
- The keyboard and mouse don’t get timely responses.
- Your computer may crash, freeze, or keep loading while opening.
- The error 15240 QuickBooks keeps popping up on your screen.
NOTE: You might get different types of error messages after getting the Update Error 15240, so make sure you recognize the error by reading the error message displayed.
“Internet connection error: unknown error”
“File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.”
If you are also getting such error messages while updating payroll, verify the following points before following the troubleshooting steps.
- Verify that your computer displays the correct date and time at the screen’s bottom-left corner.
- Check if you have installed the Latest QuickBooks Desktop Updates.
- On your Windows computer, make sure to log in with a user account that has the administrative rights to download and install applications.
- Turn-off firewall or antivirus application installed on Windows while you update the payroll.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Error 15240
Here are the steps you need to take to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 15240:
Solution 1: Allow Permissions for the QuickBooks Installation Folder
Ensure that the QB installation folder has sufficient permissions:
- Exit the QuickBooks Desktop application and open Windows File Manager.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\ folder and right-click the Intuit folder.
- Click Properties and hit the Advanced tab.
- Check if the User Group is set to be the Owner.
- Now click the Advanced Security Settings section and click Change left to the Owners section.
- Now under the Enter the object name to select section, type the names of the Users and then click Check Names.
- Click OK and then checkmark the Replace owner on sub containers and objects section.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Under the Permissions section, choose the Users and then select Full Control.
- Again click Apply and then hit OK.
After applying proper permissions to the QuickBooks installation folder, try again to install the updates. If the error persists, follow steps 1 to 5 for the following folders.
- C : \Users\ Your User Name\ AppData\ Local\ Intuit
- 64-bit users C :\ Program Files (x86)\ Common Files \Intuit
- C :\Program Files \Common Files\ Intuit
- C :\ ProgramData\ Intuit
See if you still get error 15240. If not, try the following solution.
Solution 2: Change Internet Explorer’s Security Settings
Modify the security settings of Internet Explorer to troubleshoot QuickBooks error code 15240:
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Tools icon at the top right corner.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Under the Security section, checkmark the Use SSL 3.0 and Use SSL 2.0
- Click Apply and then hit OK.
Follow the next solution if this method doesn’t rectify your problem.
Solution 3: Allow QuickBooks Executable Files to go through the Windows Firewall
Your Windows Firewall may restrict QuickBooks from making changes to the system. In such cases, you need to configure the settings to allow QB as an exception manually. It will help you resolve error 15240 QuickBooks update.
- Run the firewall program you are using on your system and go to the settings.
- If you see qbw32.exe or qbupdate.exe processes in the list of programs restricted by the firewall, remove the restrictions from these two processes.
- Also, make sure that Port 80 and 443 are not blocked by your firewall.
Undertake the following solution if error 15240 persists.
Solution 4: Run QB as an Administrator
Insufficient administrator permissions may lead users to encounter QuickBooks desktop update error 15240. You should attempt to resolve the problem as follows:
- Locate the QuickBooks Desktop icon on the desktop or the Start menu.
- Right-click it and choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
If this solution doesn’t work, it means the error didn’t arise due to insufficient QB permissions. In such cases, you need to take the following step.
Solution 5: Correct the Incorrect Date and Time Settings on your System
If the date and time on your computer are faulty, you may see error 15240 QuickBooks. In such circumstances, you need to correct the situation through the following steps:
- Tap the time display on your screen and select the Change date and time settings option.
- Correct the date and time by modifying the settings.
- Hit Apply and OK to finish the process.
If you can’t eliminate error 15240 QuickBooks even after this solution, jump to the next one.
Solution 6: Use the Clean Install Tool to Reinstall QuickBooks
If QuickBooks error 15240 appears because you haven’t installed QuickBooks properly on your system, you can always delete and reinstall it and use the clean install tool. The steps involved in this procedure are mentioned below:
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks
You can delete QuickBooks easily on your device. However, you need to back up your files beforehand to ensure they aren’t lost. Similarly, you must note down the product and license information of the current QuickBooks version. The details will help you once you reinstall the app. Now, let’s dive into the uninstall process:
- Open the Start menu or press the Windows icon on the keyboard.
- Select the Settings option.
- The Settings window will open with numerous available options.
- Opt for the Apps section.
- Next, choose Apps and Features.
- A list of installed applications will pop up on the screen.
- You can choose to search QuickBooks Desktop manually. Otherwise, look for it by typing QB Desktop in the search space.
- When the QB result appears, tap the three dots at the end of the app name.
- You’ll have two or three options, like Advanced Options, Modify, Uninstall, etc. Pick the Uninstall option.
- The uninstall wizard will emerge on the screen, asking you to confirm your decision. Click OK.
- The process will begin, and more instructions may arise on the screen.
- After managing them all and deleting QuickBooks, you can move to the next step.
Alternatively, you can use the Control Panel to uninstall the app. The actions will involve:
- From the Windows Start menu that you can access by tapping the Windows key, search for Control Panel.
- Open it and navigate to the Programs and Features section.
- Here, you’ll find Uninstall a program option.
- Select it, and a list of installed apps will emerge on the screen.
- Scroll or browse for the QB Desktop.
- Opt for it once it appears and initiates the uninstallation. Follow the uninstallation procedure using the instructions as they appear on the screen.
- Once done, you can delete and clear the space the program leaves.
Step 2: Clean Install Tool
Download the clean install tool from official QB website and install it properly on the system. Once done, use it so that you can reinstall the program correctly.
Step 3: Reinstall QuickBooks
You can install QuickBooks again on your system through CD or by downloading the QB package from the Intuit website. Save the download file in the default folder or browse for a custom location. Once done, double-tap the executable QB file for execution. Follow all the instructions in the installation wizard, accept the terms and conditions, and install QB successfully. Set it up according to the instructions, enter the necessary details, etc.
Finally, check if you get QuickBooks error 15240.
Maybe the recent modifications in the system have brought forward QB error 15240. If it’s true, you must restore the system to an earlier point in time through the following steps:
- Tap the Windows icon to launch the Start menu.
- Type System Restore in the search field and hit Enter.
- Follow the steps mentioned in the wizards to reach a preferred restore point.
- After restoring the computer, check if QuickBooks error 15240 persists.
Solution 8: Configure Security Software Settings
When you have a third-party antivirus or security software on the system, you may need to check its settings do not block QB’s installation, updates, and functioning. If it does, consider configuring these settings and removing the blockages by following the steps of the respective program.
Solution 9: Switch to Selective Startup Mode
You may need to turn to the selective startup mode, especially when third-party interferences increase problems in running QuickBooks. Undertake installation, updates, and reinstallation in this mode through the following steps:
Step 1: Switch to Selective Startup Mode
Begin by enabling the selective startup mode on your system:
- Launch the Run Window by pressing Windows + R keys or searching the Start menu.
- Type msconfig in the blank space and hit Enter.
- As the results appear, switch to the selective startup option in the General tab. Also, tap Load System Services.
- Head to the Services tab and opt for the Hide all Microsoft Services box.
- Choose the option Disable all.
- Further, unmark the Hide all Microsoft Services box.
- Pick Windows Installer from the services list and hit OK.
- Tap Restart on the system reconfiguration window, and your system will open in the selective startup mode.
Step 2: Install, Update or Reinstall QuickBooks
Undertake the QB operations facing interruptions in the normal mode in the selective startup. Try installing, updating, or reinstalling QuickBooks. The steps to reinstall are available in Solution 6. You can update the QB app, payroll, and tax tables as follows:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and access the Help menu.
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- If new updates are available, opt for the Get Updates option.
- Choose to Update Now and see if the procedure goes smoothly. If an error arises, you may need to try other solutions. Otherwise, you’re good to proceed.
Step 3: Return to Normal Mode
After your mission is accomplished in the selective startup mode, you can return to normal mode. Do so as follows:
- Open the Run command by pressing Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- Type msconfig and press Enter.
- Switch to Normal Mode from the General tab.
- Restart your device from the system configuration window.
Solution 10: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
You can benefit from the one-stop solution to most QuickBooks errors using the QB Tool Hub. The tool hub contains various sections and corresponding tools to help you fix installation, payroll, bank, network, company files, and related errors. Here are the steps you’ll need to take to download the QB Tool Hub’s latest version. If you already have the tool hub on your system, check its current version and update if necessary.
- Access the latest QuickBooks Tool hub installer package available on the Intuit website from your browser.
- Tap the download link, save these files to the default location, or browse to a preferred one.
- Once chosen, let the file download successfully.
- Now, open the executable file of QB Tool Hub for installation (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Run the installation wizards and accept all the terms and conditions.
- You can now set up and use QB Tool Hub per your needs.
The various sections and tools available in the QB Tool Hub are given below:
- Company File Issues: Resolve problems within your company file by running Quick Fix My File and QuickBooks File Doctor tools. Fix data issues and also take File Doctor’s help if needed.
- Network Issues: If you have network problems like error H202 occupying your screen, use the QuickBooks Network Diagnostic tool on the server computer. QuickBooks Database Server Manager is available to resolve multi-user errors.
- Program Problems: When your QuickBooks lags, freezes, crashes, or doesn’t work, use the tools in this section to fix the program problems. Common PDF and Printing Issues can also be resolved through this section. The tools available are Quick Fix My Program and QuickBooks Print and PDF repair tools.
- Installation Issues: When installing or uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop, use the tools available in this section if you encounter errors. It includes the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool to fix error 3371 and more.
- Password reset: The automated password reset tool helps reset the admin password.
- Help & Support: Use this section if QB tool Hub doesn’t work or you need other resources.
- Advanced Tools: It contains Windows shortcuts allowing you to troubleshoot common QB problems.
You can resolve QuickBooks Error 15240 through the QB Install Diagnostic Tool in the Installation Issues section. Quick Fix My Program can also help with this problem.
Solution 11: Repair the QuickBooks Application
Your QB app may display problems and lags in running. You can resolve it by repairing the application from the Control Panel. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Begin by opening the Control Panel from the Start menu or Desktop (wherever accessible easily).
- Visit the Programs and Features section and tap it.
- From the applications installed on the system, opt for QB Desktop.
- Undertake steps to Repair it.
- Once the repair is done, use QB again to see if the error emerges.
Alternative steps for the same solution are as follows:
- Tap Settings from the Windows Start menu by pressing the Windows icon.
- Choose the Apps option to dig into this section.
- Opt for the Apps and Features section and arrive at the list of apps installed on the device.
- Locate QB Desktop by scrolling or searching for it through the search field.
- When the results appear, tap the three dots at the end of its name.
- Select the Modify option here.
- Follow the wizards that enable repairing the application.
- Once done, you should finish and use the app to see if the error persists.
Solution 12: Utilize SFC Scan
SFC, also known as System File Checker, will help you scan the system files and resolve common Windows errors. Undertake the following actions:
- Open the Run command by hitting the Windows and R keys together.
- In the run window, type cmd to launch the command prompt window.
- Use the CMD window as an administrator.
- Type SFC/Scannow in the Command Prompt box when it emerges.
- Hit Enter and let the system file checker scan and diagnose the system files.
- Hopefully, the error will get resolved after this solution.
If not, proceed to the next one.
Solution 13: Fix Registry Errors
QuickBooks Error 15240 may appear due to a corrupt Windows registry. Fix this problem with the program update through the following steps:
- Tap the Windows key on the keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Type CMD as a command in the search field and press Enter.
- Wait for the Command Prompt results to appear.
- When it does, instead of opening it, hit Ctrl and Shift keys together and simultaneously double-click the CMD window.
- Now, a permission dialog box will emerge. Tap OK.
- You will arrive at a blank black window with a flashing cursor. Type regedit here and press Enter.
- When a window pops up, access the File menu and hit the Export option.
- Head to the Save in list and opt for a particular folder where you can save the error-related QB Desktop registry key.
- Now, access the File Name box and give a name to the backup file.
- Then, head to the Export Range box and check the Selected Branch option.
- Save these settings by clicking the Save option.
- Ensure the file gets saved in the .reg extension.
- Now, you have the backup of QB error-related entries.
Solution 14: Conduct an in-depth malware scan
If you still see QuickBooks Error 15240 emerge on your screen, you’ll need to check for viruses and malware attacks on the files. If you feel your files are corrupted due to the error 15240, use your antivirus system for an in-depth scan. Repair the damage caused by viruses and malwares on your system quickly.
Solution 15: Clean System Files for Junk
Having excessive junk files, temporary folders, etc., on the system can reduce the space for QuickBooks installation and updates. Thus, you need to clear the space to initiate your operations. Do so as follows:
- Open ‘This PC’ from the desktop.
- Right-click the C drive on My Computer.
- Tap the Disk Cleanup option available in the wizard box.
- See and check the files you don’t need or are junk.
- Delete them and clear space in the C storage.
Alternatively, use cleanmgr as follows:
- Open the Run Command by pressing Windows + R keys. Or, launch the Start menu.
- Here, type cmd to view the Command Prompt results.
- Instead of opening it directly, press Ctrl and Shift keys simultaneously. Then, double-click or enter the Command Prompt window.
- A permission dialog box might appear. Tap Yes as its response.
- You’ll see a blank black screen open with a twinkling cursor.
- Type cleanmgr and hit Enter. The disk cleanup utility will assess the junk in your files and ask you to delete it.
- After everything’s done, return and see how you can use QB and if the errors persist.
Further, delete the browser caches and cookies. Hopefully, the error will get removed after doing so.
Solution 16: Change the QB User
It’s possible that the current user account in QB is damaged, invalid, or doesn’t have the required permissions to make changes. Therefore, you’ll need a different QB user to keep working on the updates:
- Head to the Company section and choose Set up users and passwords, followed by Set Up users. For QB Enterprise users, you must go to the Company section and opt for the Users option. Now, select Set up Users and Roles.
- Choose to Add User…, enter the username and other credentials, and hit Next. Do not use the damaged user name here.
- Customize the user details as necessary and click Finish.
- Head to the File menu. Tap Close Company/ Logoff.
- Enter into QB with the new credentials and conduct operations to see if the error remains.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error 15215
Solution 17: Create a New Windows Admin User
- Navigate to the Start menu or press the Windows icon on the keyboard to launch it.
- Go to your System’s Settings.
- Pick the Account option, followed by Family & Other Users.
- Choose to Add someone else to this PC under other users.
- Opt for the option, “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information,” then hit Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Assign a name to the new account, then tap Finish.
Note: Ensure security by assigning a password to the new account.
- Hit the newly created account, then select Account Type.
- Click Administrator, then OK.
Solution 18: Update the QB Desktop app
Enable auto-updates for QB Desktop on Windows or Mac. Or else conduct these actions manually. Begin by verifying if you have the latest version. Do so as follows:
- Open QB Desktop.
- Press F2 or Ctrl + 1 to launch the Product Information window.
- Verify the current version and release. Look for the recent release in the release notes of each QB Desktop version.
Now, undertake manual updates as follows:
- Move to the Help menu and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Next, tap Update Now, followed by Get Updates.
- After finishing the updates, close and reopen QB.
- Tap Yes when asked to install the update.
- After completing the installation, execute the on-screen instructions.
- You should also download the latest tax tables while ensuring your payroll subscription is active.
Moreover, end the following processes through the task manager as follows:
- Shut down QB and right-click your taskbar to choose Task Manager. Alternatively, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Del for the same result.
- You need to locate the following background processes under the details tab. Choose the End Task option for each as follows:
- QBDBMgr.exe or QBDBMgrN.exe
- QBW32.exe or QBW.exe
- Right-click the QB shortcut and tap the Run as Administrator option.
- See if the updates work error-free or if any problem flourishes.
Solution 19: Update Windows
An outdated Windows is a root trigger for QB errors and performance issues. You need to update your Windows through the following steps to resolve the problem:
- Tap the Start menu icon.
- Type Update and press Enter.
- Further, click the Check for Updates option in Update and Security window.
- If you see any, get the latest updates to resolve the problems.
There are possibilities that even after following all the troubleshooting steps mentioned, you are still facing the QuickBooks Error 15240. In such a condition, we suggest you get help from a certified QuickBooks Payroll expert and call Payroll Support Number +1- 855 738 2784 for instant support.
What does the QB Error 15240 Message state?
When you receive a pop-up stating QuickBooks error 15240, you experience the following messages:
- Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully.
- File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.
- Internet connection error: unknown error
The file exists, and internet connection errors accompany QB error 15240 due to damaged files, misconfigured Internet security settings, etc.
Which Microsoft Windows OS Encounters QB Error 15240 Frequently?
The following Windows OS may face the severe wrath of QuickBooks Error 15240:
- Windows Vista
- Windows 8
- Windows XP
- Windows 10
- Windows 7
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
When you encounter QB error 15240 in these operating systems, check if the Windows user has full permission to perform the solutions. If not, you need to make the necessary modifications.
Related Posts –
What is QuickBooks Data Migration Service & How to do Migration
Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 3140 with Pro-recommended Methods
Fix QuickBooks Error 6069 with Experts Guide
QuickBooks Won’t Open? Here’s the Key to Solving it!
Rectifying QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost Error