Every year on May 31, QuickBooks discontinue one of its version that is older than three years. This means that this year after May 31, 2019 QuickBooks 2016 will be suspended, and you will not be able to access online live support and other added services like payroll, credit card processing and payment network. In this article, we will list all the facts that you want to know about QuickBooks 2016 discontinuation. However, you will still be able to use QuickBooks desktop after the product expires as Intuit, only ends the online services for its discontinued versions. Further, in the article, you will find all the reasons for updating QuickBooks to the latest version and common user queries related to the discontinuation the of 2016 release.
As QuickBooks ProAdvisors, we suggest You Upgrade QuickBooks to the Latest Version for Uninterrupted Business Operations
What Versions will be affected After the Discontinuation of QuickBooks 2016?
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2016 (Contractor, Non-Profit, Retail, General Business, Manufacturing and Wholesale and Professional Services)
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2016
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier Accountant 2016
- QuickBooks Point of Sale 2016
- 2016 version of QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Accountant on Mac
The only version that will not be affected by the discontinuation of QuickBooks 2016 is the Enterprise version, i.e. QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 2016 and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Accountant 2016. The Enterprise Solutions version of QuickBooks is a subscription-based service and will continue to work until the expiry of your subscription. To ensure your application does not get affected by the discontinuation, make sure to update the application to the latest version because if you continue to use the 2016 version it will also give the same errors as other versions of QuickBooks.
How Discontinuation Will Affect QuickBooks 2016
If you are subscribed to QuickBooks online services, then discontinuation will terminate your access to any of your subscribed services. Following is the list of all the services that will get affected after QuickBooks will end support for its 2016 version.
- Bill Pay and Electronic Payment Service.
- The Multi-Currency feature that allows you to manage transactions in foreign currency.
- Intuit Payment Network for online money transfer.
- Critical security updates that ensure the security of sensitive data.
- E-check processing service.
- Credit card processing service that allows you to accept payments both online and offline.
- Live Support that helps you chat and talk to a QuickBooks expert for assistance.
- Accountant’s Copy File Transfer (ACFT) service that is used to send the Accountant’s Copy (.QBX) file to your accountant.
- Online Banking helps you safely manage your bank account using QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks Online Backup is a service that enables you to automatically backup your essential QuickBooks files to secure online servers.
- QuickBooks Payroll Services (Basic, Assisted, Enhanced, Standard, View My Paycheck and WC Payment Service)
- QuickBooks Emailing Service to send invoices and emails to your customers and vendors.
Common User Queries Related to the Discontinuation of QuickBooks 2016
Question 1: When will QuickBooks 2016 Expire?
Answer: As per Intuit’s announcement, QuickBooks 2016 will expire on May 31, 2019.
Question 2: Is QuickBooks 2016 still supported?
Answer: You can access all the online service QuickBooks 2016 offers until May 31, 2019. After the product discontinues you will no longer get live support, security updates and all the online services like payroll and online banking will be ended.
Question 3: How often do you have to upgrade QuickBooks?
Answer: Upgrading QuickBooks to the most-recent version ensure all the latest features and added services that the latest version offers. We suggest you install the latest version just after its release.
Question 4: What are the system requirements to install the newest version of QuickBooks?
Answer: Read about QuickBooks System Requirements in our article on How to set up email service with QB.
Question 5: How long is QuickBooks good for?
Answer: Any version of QuickBooks except the Enterprise version is good for three years from the date of launch. However, you can still use the software after it expires, but you can’t access the online services that use QuickBooks servers.
Question 6: How do I check my QuickBooks version?
Answer: You can press the F2 key on your keyboard to open the Product Information windows that will display the version of QuickBooks you are using.
Question 7: How much does it cost to upgrade to QuickBooks 2019?
Answer: QuickBooks Pro and Pro Plus cost $299.95.
QuickBooks Premier and Premier Plus cost $499.95.
Three different plans are available for QuickBooks Enterprise where Silver plan is for $1,100, Gold is for $1,430 and Platinum plan is for $1,760.
Question 8: How long does it take to upgrade QuickBooks to the latest version?
Answer: Usually it takes around an hour to upgrade both QuickBooks Desktop and the company file. Upgrade time also depends on the size of your company file, the larger the size of your company file the more time it will take to upgrade.
Question 9: What is the best QuickBooks software?
Answer: There are so many versions of QuickBooks software each suitable for a specific business type. As Intuit offers a 60-Day Guarantee on QuickBooks, we suggest you get any version you like, and if you don’t like it, you can return it any time within the next 60 days of the purchase.
Question 10: What’s new in QuickBooks Desktop 2019?
Answer: Learn more about QuickBooks 2019 Features in our article on QuickBooks 2019 Update FAQs and Features.
Hopefully, this article has provided you some insight on the discontinuation of QuickBooks 2016 and has answered all common user queries regarding the sunset of QuickBooks 2016. If you have more questions or need help upgrading QuickBooks to the latest released version, then you can reach us at our QuickBooks Desktop Support Number (844)-888-4666.