QuickBooks error PS033 emerges while users download payroll updates and halts the process. It makes it challenging to access the improved features and security patches because of a damaged CPS folder. So let’s look into the various reasons behind this error and instant resolutions for users to implement and eliminate the problem.
QuickBooks handles business payroll quite efficiently, and part of the reason is regular updates from Intuit. These updates fix bugs and issues of the software and introduce new tools to the tray. However, some users face the QuickBooks error PS033 while downloading the payroll updates from the internet. Its error message can also appear on the screen while opening the company file and states that QuickBooks can’t read the payroll setup files. Its causes and solutions are written below in the blog.
QuickBooks error PS033 may cause significant troubles in updating and running payroll seamlessly. If you’re stuck and need help getting rid of this annoyance, we recommend you contact our QB specialist team at the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784. We’ll assist you and resolve all your issues quickly without affecting your work
What is QuickBooks Error PS033?
QuickBooks error PS033 results from a damaged file in the “C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20nn\Components\Payroll\CPS” folder. The CPS folder possesses crucial payroll files required to update payroll and access the company file. This is why when any of these files in the CPS folder get corrupt, you get a “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]” error message. The error message also suggests users note the error code and click the Help option for troubleshooting info.
Once you click the Help option, you will be redirected to the support page to find different solutions to resolve the error. No matter how many times you try to troubleshoot the error using the basic solutions found on the support page, the error keeps coming back. To permanently resolve the error, you will need to perform advanced troubleshooting that you will find in this article.
What are the Causes of the QuickBooks Desktop Error PS033?
The payroll update error PS033 can occur on your system for numerous reasons. The top reasons that trigger “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]” error message in QuickBooks are mentioned below.
- The QuickBooks CPS folder or files inside it are corrupted or severely damaged.
- The QuickBooks Desktop application is not updated to the latest version.
- The UAC settings are turned on.
- The company file has some damaged or incorrect entries.
- Some other program is interrupting the payroll updates.
- The payroll updates may suffer if the internet connection settings aren’t configured correctly.
- QuickBooks 2023 error PS033 may appear when the firewall blocks QuickBooks connections and payroll updates in QB Desktop by considering them a threat.
- Users may not have an active payroll subscription.
- If the tax tables downloaded in your system are damaged or invalid due to an incorrect extension or other reasons, you may face QuickBooks error PS033.
- A damaged company file due to various reasons may bring forth this error.
- Further, virus and malware attacks may also enhance the probability of corrupting your QB and system files.
- The software may malfunction due to incomplete or incorrect billing details.
- Unregistered or free software comes with numerous restrictions, so you may face errors while downloading the payroll updates.
- Your service key might be invalid or incorrect, causing a PS033 QuickBooks error.
- Your Windows update and QB might not be compatible.
- Payment-related issues in QB may bring forth the error.
- Your EIN may appear invalid in QuickBooks, triggering the error PS033.
These reasons are enough to prompt QB error PS033 to emerge on the screen. After detecting what’s causing you the problem, you can implement the appropriate troubleshooting method.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error PS033
When users encounter QuickBooks PS033, they face the following signs:
- An error message stating QuickBooks can’t read payroll setup files emerges on the screen.
- Users can’t update QB payroll and access enhanced features.
- QB doesn’t function properly and lags, crashes, and freezes periodically.
- You may not be able to access employee information or run payroll because the PS033 error message appears.
- System crashes, delays on mouse and keyboard commands, and related glitches might erupt.
What are the Solutions to try Resolving the QuickBooks Error PS033?
Below are the steps to help you fix the QuickBooks payroll error PS033.
Solution- 1: Get the Latest Payroll Tax Table
If you are getting the error message while opening your company file, try to update to the latest tax table and the payroll update through the steps mentioned below.
- Go to QuickBooks and select the Employees tab.
- Select the Get Payroll Updates option and click on the Download entire payroll update option.
- At last, click on Update.
Solution- 2: Update the Name of the QuickBooks CPS Folder
If your CPS folder contains one or several corrupted files, you can rename it so QuickBooks can create a new, fresh folder without any damaged files.
- Exit QuickBooks and follow the file path – C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks 20XX\ Components\ Payroll\ CPS.
- Right-click on the CPS folder and select Rename.
- Clear the name and type CPSGHJ and press the Enter key to save the changes.
- Open QuickBooks again and try to download the payroll updates.
Recommended to read : How To Fix QuickBooks Error PS038
Solution- 3: Update the QuickBooks Desktop Application
An obsolete version of QuickBooks can also cause issues like QuickBooks company file error PS033. Follow the steps mentioned below to download the updates for your QB application.
- To begin with, close your company file and QuickBooks.
- Go to the Desktop and right-click on the QB icon.
- Click on the Run as administrator option and go to the Help menu.
- Choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Go to the Options tab and select the Mark All option, followed by clicking on the Save button.
- Navigate to the Update Now tab and tick the Reset Updates option.
- Select Get Updates, and once the update downloads completely, close and reopen QuickBooks.
- Choose Yes on the installation prompt to install the updates.
- After the updates are installed, restart your system.
Solution- 4: Turn off the UAC Settings
The UAC prompts come when the user tries an unauthorized change to the operating system. It then asks for the admin credentials and does not allow further activity. You can turn off the UAC by following the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Start menu and choose the Control Panel.
- Click on User Accounts and choose it again in the next window.
- Click on Change User Account Control Settings and choose Continue.
- Turn the slider down to the Never Notify option and click on the OK
- Restart your computer system and try to download the updates again.
Note- The UAC is important for your PC’s security and must be enabled back later. Follow the steps above and turn the slider back to Always Notify.
Read Also – I am getting QuickBooks Error PS036
Solution- 5: Check for File Corruption through Verify Data Utility
If your data file has been damaged or corrupted, QuickBooks faces issues opening it. To be sure, follow the steps mentioned below to check for damage in the company file.
- Go to QuickBooks, and under the File menu, hover your mouse over Utilities.
- Select the Verify Data option, and after scanning the company file, if the results show problems in the file, you need to use the Rebuild Data option.
- Go back to the File menu and click on the Utilities drop-down.
- Quickly select Rebuild Data this time and hit OK to the prompt asking to backup your data.
- Finally, choose OK on the “Rebuild has completed” message.
- Verify the data again to check if the damage is completely fixed without delay.
Solution- 6: Download the Payroll Update in Safe Mode
If another program is interrupting the payroll update, follow the steps mentioned below to download the updates in safe mode.
- Exit from QuickBooks and shut down your computer system.
- Reboot it and hold the Shift key while clicking on the Power icon.
- Click on Restart, and after the computer restarts, go to the Choose an Option screen and select Troubleshoot.
- Click on the Advanced option and select Startup Settings.
- Select Restart and after the computer restarts, click on the fifth option from the list.
- Once the computer opens in Safe mode, download the payroll updates.
- If the download is successful, restart the computer to Normal Mode and download the update again.
Solution- 7: Check your Service Key
Verifying your service key is crucial, especially if it is damaged or inactive. Confirming these details will help you detect the root trigger of QuickBooks Payroll Error PS033. Here’s how you can verify and correct the service key:
- Shut down all the company files and start your computer again.
- Now, head to QuickBooks and navigate to the Employees section. Further, select My Payroll Service.
- Then, click the Manage Service Key option.
- Know that your service name and status should be accurate and marked Active.
- Hit the Edit button and check the service key number. Enter the correct service key if the current is incorrect.
- Tap Next, then unmark the box next to Open Payroll Setup. Further, hit Finish.
- The entire payroll update should download after this method. See if the error persists after this.
Solution- 8: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub helps users face several common errors with a collection of tools and utilities. It contains various sections dedicated to particular problems, like company files, networks, installation, program problems, etc. Here’s how to use the tool hub to resolve QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files error PS033:
- You need to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from official sources.
- Save the package in an accessible location for quick downloading.
- Initiate installation by pressing the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Execute the prompts emerging on the screen and validate the terms and conditions agreement.
- Once the installation finishes successfully, you can set up and utilize the QB tool hub.
QuickBooks Tool Hub contains a Quick Fix My Program utility that resolves performance, lagging, and other issues in the system file. It repairs the damaged QB files and allows for seamless QB conduct. Let’s see how you can access it:
- Open the QB Tool Hub icon from the desktop.
- Head to the Program Problems section.
- Tap the Quick Fix My Program tool and resolve the situation.
- Return to open the QB Desktop app and the data file.
- Also, download the most recent tax table version.
You may read also – How to resolve Intuit Printer Library Error
Solution- 9: Configure the File Copy Services Settings
If your FCS services are misconfigured, you may encounter QuickBooks Desktop Error PS033. Resolve these settings through the following steps:
- Begin by exiting the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Head to the Start menu and tap My Computer/ This PC.
- Next, select Manage.
- Tap the Applications option from the left pane.
- Further, hit Services from the right pane.
- From here, locate and double-tap the Intuit QuickBooks FCS option.
- Head to the General tab and select Startup Type. Click Manual after that.
- After you’re done, click Apply.
- Then, tap Start > Ok.
- Now, open the QuickBooks application and access the payroll updates.
- Lastly, update your payroll tax tables and eliminate QuickBooks Error PS033.
Solution- 10: Update Windows for Compatibility
You should update your Windows to make it compatible with QuickBooks and facilitate seamless running:
- Tap the Start/ Windows button on the keyboard and type Update in the search field. Press Enter.
- Look for the updater option from the results and hit Enter.
- Further, tap the Check for Updates option. The Windows server will take a few minutes to search for any available updates.
- Click Download and Install whenever the Update Window appears.
- Reboot your device once the update settles successfully in the system.
Solution- 11: Restore Advanced Connection Settings
While working on your internet browser, you may modify your connection settings to function according to your needs. However, they may conflict with QuickBooks payroll updates, triggering QuickBooks error PS033. So, users must consider these settings to resolve the error:
- Open Internet Explorer and head to google.com.
- Tap Tools, followed by Internet Options.
- Choose the Advanced option and opt for the Reset/ Restore Defaults.
- Hit Apply and OK to accomplish the process.
Solution- 12: End Processes through Task Manager
Terminate your QuickBooks processes through the Task Manager to prevent background programs from interfering with QB updates. Here’s how to end these tasks:
- Right-click the Windows Taskbar and choose Task Manager. Alternatively, press Ctrl + Alt + Del on the keyboard to access the Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Processes tab in the Task Manager.
- Here, locate QBW32.exe, QBupdate.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe.
- Right-click each of these tasks and opt for the End Processes option.
- Finish doing so and return to QuickBooks to download the payroll updates.
Solution- 13: Allow QuickBooks as an Exception through Windows Firewall
Your Windows Firewall may hinder QuickBooks updates by considering it a threat to the system. You need to let QB and its programs in as exceptions. The steps involved in performing the same are as follows:
- Tap the Windows icon to open the Start menu and type Windows Firewall. Open the Windows Firewall window through the results.
- Click the Advanced Settings option.
- Further, right-tap Inbound Rules and tap the New Rule option.
- Hit the Port option, followed by Next.
- Ensure to choose TCP.
- Type the specific ports required for your QB year and version in the Specific Local Ports Field.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- After entering the port number, click Next.
- Now, choose the Allow the Connection option and hit Next.
- Assure to mark all the profiles if prompted and tap Next.
- Form a rule and name it this way: “QBPorts(Year).”
- Hit Finish once you’re done.
- Repeat the steps for Outbound Rules and switch to multi-user mode. Check if payroll errors persist.
Along with QB, you should create exceptions for QB executable files. Do so as follows:
- Head to the Windows Firewall by looking for it in the Start menu.
- Click Advanced Settings. Then, right-tap the Inbound Rules option.
- Further, choose the New Rule option. Then, click Program and Next.
- Opt for the This Program Path option and Hit Browse.
- Locate and choose the executable files from below and click Next.
- Again, select the Allow this Connection option and tap Next.
- Mark all the profiles if asked and hit Next.
- Create a new rule and name it like QBFirewallException(name.exe).
- Repeat all the steps for Outbound Rules and turn to the multi-user mode afterward.
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
Solution- 14: Ensure your Payroll Subscription is Active
Your QuickBooks Desktop payroll subscription should be set to Active. Check it as follows:
- Reboot your device and launch QuickBooks.
- Tap the Employees option. Select My Payroll Service.
- Choose the Account/ Billing Information option. The payroll subscription status must be set to Active.
- Click Close, and QuickBooks should now connect with the server.
Solution- 15: Add Intuit to the Trusted Sites list in IE
You should add Intuit’s URL to the list of trusted sites in Internet Explorer. Do so as follows:
- Click Tools, followed by Internet Options in Internet Explorer.
- Move to the Security tab and click the Trusted Sites icon.
- Further, tap the Sites button.
- Enter *.intuit.com in the Add this website to the zone box.
- Tap the checkbox that says Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone to clear it.
- Click Close and OK.
Solution- 16: Update Internet Settings
Configure the internet settings to resolve QB Payroll Error PS033 as follows:
- Opt for the Tools option and select Internet options.
- Click Delete on the general tab. Select the Temporary Internet Files option, then Delete. (Do not choose to delete cookies)
- Hit the LAN Settings on the Connections tab. Tap the checkbox next to Automatically Detect Settings. Ensure to keep all the proxy servers blank unless you use one. Tap the OK button twice.
- Scroll ¾ down the list on the Advanced tab. Ensure to mark SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0.
- Clear the Check for publisher’s certificate box if it’s marked.
- Again, scroll to the bottom of the advanced tab and ensure TLS 1.2 is marked. TLS 1.0 and 1.1 should not be checked. If they are, tap them to clear the checkbox.
Solution- 17: Reinstall QuickBooks in Selective Startup
If you’re struggling with QuickBooks payroll error PS033, you should reinstall the QB app in the selective startup for resolution. When no other method works, this can help rectify your problems. You need to remember to back up your files, keep the license number handy, and know your QB version. The steps to uninstall and reinstall QB in a selective startup are as follows:
- Type msconfig in the Run Window. The Run window will open after pressing Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Tap Enter and head to the General tab. Here, switch to selective startup.
- Further, mark the Hide all Microsoft Services box.
- Select Windows Installer from the list of services.
- Then, unmark the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox.
- Once done, reboot your device. It will open in the selective startup mode.
- Now, initiate the uninstall process of the QB app. Head to the Control Panel of your device.
- Under Programs and Features, you’ll find the uninstall a program option. Tap it, and you’ll arrive at a list of apps installed currently on your system.
- Select QuickBooks Desktop from the application list and execute uninstallation. Pass all the prompts and finish everything.
- After deleting QB, clear the space, temporary files, and folders.
- Now, you’re ready to reinstall QuickBooks into the system.
- Once you reinstall, accept the terms and conditions, and set up QB, you should return to normal mode.
- Do so by launching the Run window (Windows + R) and typing msconfig.
- In the window, head to the General tab and select the Normal mode.
- Restart your system, and you’ll be back to using your PC normally.
- Open the QuickBooks application and check if QuickBooks error PS033 persists.
Hopefully, all these methods will troubleshoot QuickBooks error PS033 immediately and effectively.
We would like to conclude our blog on the QuickBooks Error PS033 here. We would like to give our readers one last resort to the problem if none of the solutions work out. Call on the helpline number +1- 855 738 2784 and get a dedicated expert on the issue to help you on the line.
How to register QB Desktop to resolve PS033 QuickBooks Error?
You can undertake the following actions to register and resolve QB Desktop Error PS033:
- Press F2 on your keyboard to access the Product Information window.
- The Activated status will be available next to the license number. Check the number here. Register your QB Desktop if it doesn’t stay activated.
Registration is crucial to access the latest security and software improvements.
- After registering QB Desktop, update the app to the latest release.
- Further, update by downloading the latest tax tables in QB payroll.
What are the signs indicating QB Error PS033?
Users face the following symptoms indicating QuickBooks error PS033:
- The payroll update won’t get downloaded.
- An error message accompanying the PS033 code will flash on the screen.
- You can’t use QuickBooks properly.
- The mouse and keyboard commands do not yield timely responses.
- The app and system crash, freeze, and glitch.
Why does the QB Error PS033 arise?
Several reasons are behind the QuickBooks error PS033. These include:
- The CPS folder might be damaged.
- Incorrect or improper internet settings might be a reason.
- A firewall or antivirus may block QuickBooks.
- Third-party programs may interfere with the app.
- Your UAC might be enabled.
- The company file might have some damaged entries.
- The payroll subscription is inactive.
- EIN and service key may be incorrect.
- Outdated QuickBooks and Windows may lead to this problem.
- Incompatibility between Windows and QuickBooks may lead to the error.
Related Posts –
Fix QuickBooks Desktop Installation Errors with Effective Methods
Fix QuickBooks Error 15222 with Experts Guide
Most Recent QuickBooks Payroll Tax Table Updates Available for Download
How to Fix QuickBooks Error PS107 with easy steps
Fix QuickBooks Event ID 4 Error with Pro-recommended Solutions