Did you know if you fail to resolve an error in QuickBooks, there are high chances that it may go on to corrupt and cause an irrecoverable loss of data? Read the complete blog to find out.
QuickBooks is a highly-engineered accounting application that serves its user with the most advanced set of features. However, despite intense coding, users are forced to encounter issues like “QuickBooks Error 12038: Failed to download the update” in the middle of downloading a program update. This can be triggered by various reasons; inaccurate date and time, to name one of them. As a result, QB starts to freeze or malfunction; it may also stop responding to user requests, some tabs are greyed out, etc. Even a corrupted installation file could lead to this error. So, let us have an in-depth conversation about the same.
We understand how frustrating it gets to tackle issues like QuickBooks Error 12038 on your own. Get rid of your technical worries right now by speaking to our experts for the best results. Dial +1- 855 738 2784.
Why am I Unable to Update QuickBooks Error 12038?
To find out the reason behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Desktop Update Error 12038 on your computer, check out the list below –
- Incorrect date and time are set on your computer.
- An unstable internet connection or if QB does not identify your internet service.
- If the firewall is blocking free access of QB executable files.
- Presence of numerous versions of QuickBooks on the computer.
Key Points to Remember before Resolving QuickBooks Error Code 12038 –
- Most devices have the download accelerator installed on them to speed up any download process on the device. You must disable it prior to downloading the QB updates as it could damage the software.
- Make sure the internet speed that your connection is providing is not less than 28.8 kilobits per second (Kb/s).
- In several browsers, the parental controls are enabled for safety. Turn them off before you update QuickBooks.
- The most important thing to keep in mind is to create a company file backup before you perform any resolution method.
Permanent Solutions for QuickBooks Error Message 12038
The QuickBooks Payroll Error 12038 can be erased forever if you follow on all the hacks that are given below, in which we shall check the date and time, the internet strength, the firewall settings and perform a manual update –
Technique 1 – Ensure that the System Date and Time are Accurate
If the date and time of your system are not correctly set up, this could hinder the update process, thus, leading to the QuickBooks Update Error 12038. Here is a way to check these settings –
- Close QuickBooks and go to your Desktop’s Home screen.
- Move your cursor to the bottom-right corner, where the time and date icon is placed.
- Right-click on it and select the “Adjust date/ time” option.
- In the following window, tap on “Change date and time” and set the correct date and time according to your time zone.
- Save the changes and close the window.
- Open QuickBooks now and try to download the updates again.
Technique 2 – Verify the Stability of your Internet Service from QuickBooks
Since applications like QB run on a strong internet service, it is important that the service is unbroken as it could directly hamper the entire software.
- Close QB and open a web browser on your screen.
- Visit the Chase banking website and check if you are able to access the page without any issues.
- If not, get in touch with your internet service provider to fix it right away. Or else, proceed to the following steps.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and tap on the Help button.
- From the given list of options, click on Internet Connection Setup and then choose “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.”
- Hit the Next button and go to the Advanced Connected Settings.
- Now, in the Advanced section, choose the Restore Advanced Settings option.
- Press the OK button and finally, hit Done.
- Go back to QB and download the available updates.
Technique 3 – Reconfigure the Security and Windows Firewall Settings
The interruption caused by misconfigured firewall settings can provoke many errors, just like QuickBooks 2021 Error 12038. Follow the instructions to create exceptions for QB files in Firewall. Also, ensure that Ports 80 and 443 must be enabled –
- Tap on the Windows icon and type Windows Firewall.
- Select the Windows Firewall option to be directed to a new window.
- Here, click on Advanced Settings and then go to Inbound Rules.
- Right-click on it and choose the New Rule option.
- Tap on Program, press Next. Tap on This Program Path and press Browse.
- Choose the executable files given below and click on Next. You must create this rule for all the listed files separately –
- Press the “Allow the Connection” button and click on Next.
- Now, all the displayed profiles should be marked. If they are not, you must select them and hit Next.
- Finally, create the rule by naming it in the format “QBFirewallException(name.exe).”
- Follow the above steps to create Outbound Rules also.
Technique 4 – Perform a Manual Update if you have Multiple QuickBooks Versions installed
In many situations, users have more than one version of QB installed on their devices. If all the versions are not updated manually and separately, an error may arise –
- Click on the Windows button and go to the search panel.
- Type QuickBooks Desktop and right-click on the QBDT option.
- Select Run as Administrator and wait until the No Company Open window pops up on your screen.
- Tap on the Help button and choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, go to the Options section and click on Mark All.
- Hit the Save button, click Update Now and then tick the Reset Update box.
- Finally, tap on Get Updates and install them in QuickBooks Desktop.
That was an intense conversation about QuickBooks Error 12038. We have tried our best to deliver to you the most applicable and relevant information about the causes and solutions that directly relate to the error. If after, following all the troubleshooting, you continue to struggle with the error, we suggest you get in touch with our pro-advisors at +1- 855 738 2784 to receive exceptional technical assistance.