If you are using QuickBooks in a multi-user environment, then more than one user can access the company file at the same time if they have the necessary file access rights. An error you might face while opening the company file is “QuickBooks Error Code 6073 and 99001,” where you get an error message “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user” Error codes: (-6073, -99001). This article is intended to walk you through each step of error removal. Follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
QuickBooks error 6073 can be a hassle to troubleshoot without a technical expert’s help. Here’s the number of proficient QuickBooks specialists +1- 855 738 2784, available for your support 24*7. Discuss your problems and find effective solutions and insights into the issue
What is QuickBooks Error 6073?
QuickBooks faces a common set of issues that arise, particularly when the user is trying to access their company file. These are known as the 6000 series of errors, and QuickBooks Error code 6073 is a part of it. Supported by a warning message saying, “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user,” it is prominent that the issue is provoked when any other workstation attempts to open the data file in the single-user mode. Therefore, it is essential that the multi-user hosting settings are appropriately configured, or else it might lead to the occurrence of QuickBooks error 99001.
Recommended To Read – Fix Problems Converting QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6073
In this list, you will find some standard ways to recognize error 6073 in QuickBooks. Also, this is an exclusive list; there can be several other hints based on your version of the QB program –
- The application will not respond to user requests actively.
- Windows screen may become greyed out or will reflect a glitch on it.
- The system may also shut down suddenly and stay frozen even after rebooting due to QuickBooks error code 99001.
- The user might face difficulty in switching windows between different applications.
- Inability to update or uninstall QB Desktop.
- Accessing the company file becomes a significant challenge.
- The multi-user mode might not work properly on server or client workstations because of error 6073 opening company file.
- The error message regarding these error codes might flash on the screen.
Because of these harsh consequences, it’s essential to know the reasons leading up to QuickBooks error 6073 and 99001. Let’s consider them in the next section.
Why Error -6073, -99001 occurs in QuickBooks
Let’s look into the significant reasons that made you search I am Getting QuickBooks Error 6073 99001:
- Some other user has already opened the file using single-user mode.
- The network folder in which the company file is located is a read-only folder.
- QuickBooks Error 6073 99001 arises because the company file is located on a Linux server, and the user uses multiple login passwords to access the shared folder.
- You are trying to access the company file using a remote access tool like (Team Viewer, Go to Assist, etc.)
- There’s an incompatibility issue between the QuickBooks version and the company file. Issues between the system and QuickBooks can also result in QuickBooks Company File Error 6073 99001.
- User permission settings might not be configured properly.
- There might be no response from the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- A firewall or anti-virus might have blocked QuickBooks access.
- The network data file might be corrupt, leading to QuickBooks Desktop Error 6073 99001.
- The company file might be corrupt or damaged.
- Network issues can also be the culprit of this error.
Due to these causes, users might encounter the trouble QuickBooks is Unable to Open this Company File Error 6073 99001. It’s critical to resolve the error based on the root causes to avoid losing any data while troubleshooting.
Read Also – How To Fix QuickBooks Error 1920
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Company File Error -6073, -99001
Here’s what you need to do when QuickBooks Error Message 6073 99001 impacts your functioning:
Troubleshooting Step 1: Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a utility developed by Intuit that automatically scans the company file and network and resolves general errors. You can access QuickBooks File Doctor from the QuickBooks Tool Hub program.
- If you haven’t already installed Tool Hub, get it installed without any delay.
- Go to the folder where you have the Tool Hub’s executable file and double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Finish the installation by selecting the appropriate options.
- Run QuickBooks Tool Hub by double-clicking its desktop icon.
- Go to the Company File Issues tab and choose QuickBooks File Doctor to launch it.
- Browse and select the company file saved on your local storage.
- Now select the “Check both file damage and network connectivity (Recommended) option.”
- Click the Diagnose File option, and QuickBooks File Doctor will repair the file and the network issues. Check for QuickBooks Pro Error 6073 99001 after running it.
For detailed instructions on downloading and running QuickBooks File Doctor, follow our article How to Fix Damaged Company File or Network using QuickBooks File Doctor?
Troubleshooting Step 2: Switch QuickBooks to Multi-User Mode on the Server
QuickBooks Desktop can only share the company file with other systems connected to the network if it is running in Multi-User mode. So, if the company file is open in single-user mode on another workstation, do the following steps:
- Exit the QuickBooks Desktop application on all workstations in the network.
- Now access the company file on the hosting server.
- Click Switch to Multi-User mode under the File tab.
- If the QuickBooks Warning Error 6073 99001 persists, restart all computers in the network.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Open the Company File in Multi-User Mode
After enabling the Multi-User mode on the server computer, it is crucial to test if you can access the file on the server. If the company file is accessible in single-user mode on the host server, switch it to multi-user as follows:
- Open the company file on the host computer.
- Under the File tab, click Close Company.
- Now open the company file again.
- From under the File tab, click Open or Restore Company.
- Click Open a company file and then click Next.
- Click Open file in multi-user mode.
- Finally, hit Open.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Allow Full Control to the Network Folder
If the user trying to access the company file does not have permission to access the company file’s network folder, QuickBooks will throw error 6073. It’s crucial to change the read-only network to full permissions as follows:
- Navigate to the company file folder on the hosting server.
- Right-click the folder and choose Properties.
- Under the Security tab, select the user account that is experiencing problems while logging in.
- Click Edit and checkmark Allow option for Full Control.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Verify the Running Processes under the Task Manager
If some processes are running in the background of your system that is interrupting access to the company file, you will need to verify them and reboot your PC to fix the issue.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete key together to open Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab, if you see processes running under the username of the system facing problems, reboot your PC.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Fix General Issues with your QuickBooks Desktop Program
You can quickly resolve minor issues with the QuickBooks Desktop program by running the Quick Fix my Program utility. Further, when your computer is getting accessed by remote utilities like LogMein, GoToMyPC, etc., the following steps will be helpful in removing error 6073.
- Run QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the Program Problems tab, where you will find the Quick Fix my Program utility.
- Launch Quick Fix my Program and once it repairs the QuickBooks Desktop, try to access the company file once again.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Alter the name of .ND File
When your network data file (.nd) is corrupted, it can lead to QuickBooks error 6073. You need to rectify this issue by renaming the .nd file, which will create a new error-free file in the system. Do so as follows:
- Begin by finding the .nd file on your system. Usually, it is in the same location as your company file.
- When you reach the company file folder, look for the file with the name: (Yourcompanyfilename).qbw.nd.
- When you locate it, right-click it and hit the Rename option.
- Add .OLD to the file name and convert it to (Yourcompanyfilename).qbw.nd.old.
- Hit Enter to save these changes.
- Now, access the new file and see if the error persists.
Note: If you’re unable to find the .nd file, it might be because this file is hidden. You can unhide it through the following steps:
- Go to My Computer.
- Locate the Tools option.
- Click and further select Folder Options.
- Next, move to the View tab and hit the Show hidden files and folders option.
- Now, move to the data folder to locate the network data and transaction log (tlg) files.
- Right-click the .nd file and choose the Properties option.
- Delete the hidden option and click OK to agree to the changes.
Troubleshooting Step 8: Run Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
The next troubleshooting solution helps you fix a corrupted company file, which might be causing QuickBooks Error 6073. You need to run the in-built Rebuild and Verify Data utilities offered by QuickBooks. Do so as follows:
- Firstly, you need to determine whether any errors lie in your company file. For this, you need to run the Verify Data utility.
- Go to the QuickBooks application, and its File menu.
- Choose the ‘Utilities’ option in the File menu.
- Further, select the ‘Verify Data’ utility.
- Let the processing of the company file data begin and wait for any errors to appear.
- If any problems are with the company file, you will find them on a full display after the Verify Data utility stops processing.
- Once you find the errors, it’s time to head back to run the Rebuild Data utility.
- For this, the steps remain similar. Go to the File menu in QuickBooks and hit the Utilities option.
- This time, select Rebuild Data.
- Let the diagnosis process run and eliminate the problems in your company file for smooth functioning.
Hopefully, this method will help you resolve the errors from the root.
Troubleshooting Step 9: Repair Network Issues
You can also face QuickBooks error 6073 because network issues disrupt your functioning. In such cases, the resolution lies in accessing the tools in the Network issues tab of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. In Troubleshooting step 1, you learnt how to download and install QuickBooks tool Hub. After you open it, head to the Network Issues section to resolve the network problems. You will find QuickBooks Database Server Manager here. Hit it and fix all your problems causing error 6073 99001.
You May Also Like To Read – How To Eliminate QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
Troubleshooting Step 10: Repair QuickBooks application
It’s possible that your QuickBooks application might be having some problems and needs fixing. You can use the repair utility in the desktop to fix the problem. To do so, you need to undertake the following steps:
- Visit the Control Panel on your system.
- Choose the Programs and Features tab.
- Further, you will find an Uninstall/ Change a program option.
- Choose it and a comprehensive list of all the applications currently installed on your system will appear in front of you.
- Choose QuickBooks Desktop from the list.
- Further, hit the Change/ Repair option and follow it up with prompts and instructions that let the system fix the app.
- Once done, access QuickBooks normally and see if the problems remain.
Troubleshooting Step 11: Check your Windows Firewall Settings
When your Windows Firewall blocks QuickBooks access, it may lead to errors like 6073 that cause trouble accessing company files over a network. Therefore, checking the Firewall settings become crucial to ensure it is not causing any interference. You might need to add a firewall port exception for QuickBooks as follows:
- Go to the Windows search menu to look for Windows Firewall.
- After locating it, go to Advanced settings.
- Right-click the Inbound Rules, followed by choosing New Rule.
- Further, choose the option Port, followed by Next.
- Ensure to select the TCP.
- Next, you need to enter the specific local ports field based on your QuickBooks version. (You can find this information on the Intuit website)
- After finding your port number, enter it, and choose Next.
- Then, choose the option that says Allow the Connection and hit Next.
- Ensure to mark all the profiles and choose Next if prompted.
- Now, create a Rule and give it a name.
- After you’re done, you can choose Finish.
You need to repeat the same steps for Outbound Rules, which you can add in Step 3 in place of Inbound Rules. Now, you need to open the QB Desktop and switch to multi-user mode. You can also launch QuickBooks from one of the host computers over the network. If the error persists, move to the next solution.
Troubleshooting Step 12: Create Windows Firewall Exceptions for QB Programs
Create exceptions for QuickBooks executable files (exe) to conduct various tasks. The steps include:
- Go to the Start menu and access Windows Firewall.
- Choose Advanced Settings.
- Right-click Inbound Rules.
- Choose New Rule.
- Go to Program > Next.
- Choose This Program Path, followed by Next.
- Locate and choose any QB-related executable file. Select Next.
- Click Allow this Connection > Next.
- Ensure to mark all profiles and tap Next.
- Form a rule and give it a name.
- Repeat the Steps for Outbound Rules.
Troubleshooting Step 13: Check anti-virus settings
If you’re still stuck with the error after configuring the firewall settings, check your antivirus settings. QuickBooks should have general permissions that do not block it. The steps vary for different programs. So, you need to follow them from their respective websites. You can also add QB port exceptions on your antivirus or firewall to resolve the issue.
If you are one of the users who is still getting QuickBooks Error 6073, 99001 even after following all the troubleshooting in the given order, this could be a result of errors in the Windows registry or a virus or malware. The support team provides a complete solution to this error by scanning the system for registry errors and removing malicious infections. If you need help, you can call +1- 855 738 2784 Desktop Customer Service Number now.
Can restarting the device resolve QB error 6073?
Yes, you can attempt to restart your device from the system configuration window and see if the error goes away. Sometimes programs require to restart the computer to save the changes. You can implement any of the solution and then restart as well to apply the changes.
What to do if the host computer still sees the user logged on through a remote software?
In such circumstances, you can run Quick Fix My Program from the Program problems section in the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Start QB Desktop and open your data file after doing so.
Related Posts –
What is QuickBooks Data Migration Service & How to do Migration
Learn to Use QuickBooks Condense Data by Experts
Know How to Rectify QuickBooks Error 6094
Getting QuickBooks Migration Failed Unexpectedly Issue? Fix it now!
Rectify QuickBooks Error 15270 With Expert-Recommended Solutions