QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 is one of the QuickBooks errors that affect various QuickBooks versions, including QuickBooks Point of Sale. QuickBooks Error Code 5 might appear while installing POS hardware, opening QuickBooks functions, or accessing the company file in a multi-user setup. Intuit® has suggested multiple works around’s to cope with the error, and you will find all of them with step-by-step instructions in this article. We recommend applying the solutions in the given sequence to avoid unnecessary efforts to resolve QuickBooks Desktop error 5.
Are you Getting Error Code 5 While Running QuickBooks! Call Number +1- 855 738 2784 for Troubleshooting Assistance
Reasons that Triggers Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks
- Network connection errors that cause interruptions between the company file and the workstation are the primary causes that trigger error code 5 in QuickBooks Desktop and POS.
- Damaged company or network data files also cause unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks.
- Windows User account does not the have necessary rights to access the company file in Multi-User mode.
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop application triggers QuickBooks error 5 and causes numerous other errors in the application.
Steps to Getting Rid of QuickBooks Error Message 5
Make Sure to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version before following the troubleshooting steps below.
- Launch QuickBooks using an admin account or right-click it and select Run as Administrator.
- When prompted, enter the admin account’s login credentials and press Enter.
- Go to the Help tab and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop… option to proceed further with the update process.
- Now go to the Update Now tab and select all the features you want to get the updates for.
- Click the Get Updates option and exit QuickBooks once the updates are downloaded.
- Click the Install Now button after you rerun QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Recreate QuickBooks Company File User
Steps to Remove the User
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, and from under the Company tab, select Users.
- Select the option that says Set up Users and Roles.
- Now from under the User List, select the user and click Delete.
- Press Yes for the confirmation.
Steps to Re-Create the User
- Go to the Users and Roles page and select New.
- Enter the username for this new user.
- Type your password and confirm the action.
- Now set the roles for the user and click OK.
Solution 2: Repair Damaged Network and Company File Using File Doctor
QB File Doctor repairs damaged company files and networks and assign proper folder permission to the user to access the company file in multi-user hosting set up.
- To access QuickBooks File Doctor, you will first need to install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- QuickBooks users using 2020 or later versions of QuickBooks Desktop can directly visit the Tool Hub download page by clicking the QuickBooks Tool Hub option under the Help tab.
- If you can’t find the Tool Hub option under the Help tab, search it online and go to the official Intuit website to download Tool Hub.
- Once downloaded, run the setup file named “QuickBoosToolHub.exe” and begin the installation.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation, and once installed, launch it using the shortcut icon that you will find on your desktop screen.
- Go to the Company File Issues tab in QuickBooks and select QuickBooks File Doctor to begin the file repair process.
- Browse the company file and select it.
- Click Check your File option and hit Continue.
- QuickBooks File Doctor will now automatically find and repair the issues in the company file that will eventually help you resolve the error.
For more detailed instructions on repairing damaged networks and company files, follow our article How to Repair Damaged Network and Company File using QuickBooks File Doctor.
Solution 3: Turn-off User Account Control on Windows
User Account Control is a Windows feature that restricts unknown changes to the Windows operating system. If this is enabled on your system, it can limit you from accessing the company file, so disabling it becomes necessary to get access to the company file in QuickBooks.
- Click the Start button from the left bottom corner of your Windows Desktop.
- Select Control Panel from the list of programs at the right-side panel.
- From the search bar at the top, search for User Account.
- Now select User Account and then click Change User Account Control Settings.
- Click Yes and move the slider to Never Notify.
- Click OK and restart Windows.
- Try to rerun QuickBooks and if you are still getting the “System Error. Code: 5 Access Denied” error message, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
- If the error is resolved, make sure to turn on the UAC on Windows to ensure the proper functioning of Windows security features.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the troubleshooting steps helps, we are required to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application as a final troubleshooting step.
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- Double-click QuickBooks and follow the instructions displayed on the screen to completely remove the application and its features from Windows.
- Click the link and visit the QuickBooks Desktop Download page.
- Select the correct product and version and then click Search.
- Now click Download and open the setup file from the downloads of your computer.
- Follow the instructions to install the application.
For any reason, if you are still struggling to get rid of the Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks, then we suggest you get in touch with us at +1- 855 738 2784 for help. We use advanced tools and screen sharing that help us better recognize the root cause of the error to provide you with an instant resolution of the problem in the shortest time possible.