12031 error QuickBooks usually appears while updating QuickBooks Desktop and its added features. There are several update errors that a user might encounter while running QuickBooks update, where the 120XX series of errors appears as a result of internet connectivity issues. If QB experiences difficulties connecting to the internet, it not only encounters error 12031 but also causes problems working with QB online services like payroll and banking. Without proper troubleshooting instructions, it might be a challenging task to resolve QuickBooks Error 12031 while updating QuickBooks. In this article, we will share the techniques that will help you easily resolve QuickBooks update error 12031.
If you are not Feeling Comfortable Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error Code 12031, then Call Support Number +1- 855 738 2784 for Immediate Help
Description for QuickBooks update error 12031
Among several errors that users encounter while updating QuickBooks, QuickBooks service messages error 12031 falls under the category of 120XX series of errors. You might see the error while updating QuickBooks Desktop, Payroll, New Features, Maintenance Releases, and Accountant. Once a user meets such an error, QuickBooks displays an error message:
QuickBooks Update Error
Problem Error 12031: A network timeout that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server. Solution Check your internet connection setup in QuickBooks from the Help->Internet Connection Setup menu selection. Verify that your connection is set to use your computer’s internet connection Start Cancel
However, this isn’t the easiest solution to implement to get rid of QuickBooks error message 12031, and that’s why we have developed an in-depth troubleshooting method for a quick fix.
NOTE: Following is the list of error codes that might appear while Updating QuickBooks Desktop:
Solutions to Fix Error Code 12031 QuickBooks
Let us now look at the solutions that will eliminate the 12031 error QuickBooks in no time.
Solution 1: Select Correct Internet Connection Settings in QuickBooks Desktop
You can try updating the Internet Connection Settings if the update process is hindered by the error code 12031 QuickBooks. This is how you can perform these steps.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, and click Internet Connection Setup under the Help tab.
- Click Use My Computer’s Internet Connection Settings and then hit Next.
- Click Done and try to run QuickBooks update once again.
- If the Update QuickBooks window still shows errors like 12031, follow the next troubleshooting step and reset the QuickBooks updates.
Recommended To Read – Fix QuickBooks Error 15243
Solution 2: Reset QuickBooks Desktop Updates
Any update error in QuickBooks can be tackled by resetting the QuickBooks Desktop updates. Try performing this solution and see if the application gets updated without the 12031 error QuickBooks.
- From under the QuickBooks Desktop Help tab, click Update QuickBooks.
- Click Reset Updates and then hit Get Updates.
- If you are still getting QB payroll update error 12031, then make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
Solution 3: Remove QuickBooks from the list of Blocked Programs in the Windows Firewall.
Windows firewall sometimes recognizes QuickBooks as a threat to Windows security and blocks its access to the internet, causing different errors in QuickBooks. For example, if you suspect that the Windows firewall causes the 12031 error QuickBooks, follow the article Allow or Block Programs with the Windows Firewall and grant QuickBooks permission to access the internet.
NOTE: If you are manually setting up internet connection for QuickBooks by using “Use the Following Connection option” then make sure Port 80 for HTTP and Port 443 for HTTPS are enabled.
Solution 4: Run QuickBooks Updates in Windows Safe Mode
The safe mode of the Windows operating system allows only specific programs to run in the background. Hence, this is a great way to install QB updates successfully without the 12031 error QB. Therefore, if the above three solutions do not work in your favor, we suggest following the next method.
- Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard and then type msconfig.
- Hit OK or press Enter on your keyboard to open Windows System Configuration Window.
- Navigate to the Boot tab and then from under the Boot Options unmark the Safe Boot option.
- Click Apply and then hit OK to save changes.
- Restart your computer, and this time the system will boot in safe mode.
- Once the system is started in Safe Mode, try to run the payroll update once again.
IMPORTANT: If the error is resolved after booting your computer in safe mode then, make sure to switch the system back to the normal boot settings. Follow the steps mentioned above and put a checkmark next to the Safe Boot option and save the settings.
Solution 5: Install a digital signature certificate
Let us look at another solution to fix the 12031 error QuickBooks. By installing the digital signature certificate. This verifies the system that it can trust the update process of QuickBooks.
- You must navigate to the C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- On finding the QBW32.exe file, right-click on it and select the Properties option.
- Use the Digital Signature tab and verify that Intuit is specified in the signature list.
- Click on Details.
- Once you are present on the Digital Signature Details window, choose View Certificate.
- Next, use the Certificate window to select the Install Certificate option.
- Keep selecting Next until you see Finish. Press the Finish button.
- Finally, restart the PC.
- Launch QuickBooks and try downloading the updates.
Read Also – Resolve QuickBooks Error 61686
Solution 6: Update the Internet Explorer Settings to solve the QuickBooks update error 12031
Here is our last solution to fixing the 12031 error QuickBooks. Follow the steps carefully, as they can be technically complex, and you must avoid unwanted changes in them.
- Click on Tools and then Internet Options.
- Use the General tab to choose Delete.
- Select Temporary Internet files and then Delete. (Note – You must not select the delete cookies option.)
- Move on to the Connections tab and then the LAN settings.
- Select the Automatically Detect Settings option while ensuring that Proxy servers are blank if you don’t use one.
- Click on Ok twice.
- Choose the Advanced tab and scroll 3/4 down the list.
- Verify that the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are marked and that the Check for publisher’s certificate option is unmarked.
- Now scroll down toward the bottom of the screen.
- Mark the TLS 1.2 option.
- Keep the TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 options unchecked; unmark them if selected.
There might be instances where error message 12031 still comes up even after applying all the troubleshooting methods. If for any reason, you are unable to resolve the 12031 error QuickBooks, then you can get direct help from a certified expert by calling QuickBooks certified team on the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784.
Is there any tool that can automatically solve the 12031 error QuickBooks?
QuickBooks File Doctor is one tool that can help users automatically configure firewall, anti-virus, or other third-party program settings to fix the 12031 error QuickBooks.
What are the main reasons for QuickBooks update error 12031 service messages?
QuickBooks update error 12031 service messages can occur for various reasons, some of which are:
- The system’s date and time are outdated.
- Windows Firewall is restricting the download process of QuickBooks Desktop or Payroll.
Related Posts –
Effective Troubleshooting Solutions to Eliminate QuickBooks Error PS077
How to End QuickBooks Error 15103 Completely?
Effective Ways to Eliminate QuickBooks Won’t Update Error
A Comprehensive Guide to Eliminate QuickBooks Error 1328