QuickBooks error 15242 is a payroll error that interrupts the ongoing payroll update. If you can’t access software improvements and security patches because of the glitches caused by this error, you must read this blog for complete details.
QuickBooks error 15242 may emerge when users try installing Payroll, Essentials, New Features, Maintenance Release, and Non-Profit. This error may arise on QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus Non-Profit 2022 on Windows 10 and QuickBooks Pro 2019. The accompanying error message may read, “[Error 15242] The QuickBooks FCS service is damaged, so the payroll update could not complete successfully. Note the message number at the beginning of this message, and click Help for troubleshooting tips to resolve this problem.” The error usually appears because the File Copy Services (FCS) are disabled. Although the maintenance shows the update install is pending, it may not go through. Sometimes, it may get the update but freeze your computer. So, let’s see how you can update, download, and install your payroll account without seeing error 15242.
Is it getting difficult to handle QuickBooks payroll update error 15242? Do not worry; Our QB technicians are a call away at 1.855.738.2784 to help you fix your problems. Reach out to us today and let us help get you your updates hassle-free.
What is QuickBooks Error 15242?
QuickBooks Error Code 15242 arises when users try updating payroll. The error indicates that the FCS (File Copy Service) is damaged. The File Copy Service (FCS) is responsible for downloading QuickBooks payroll updates. Users will need to verify the status of their payroll subscription and add the correct service key.
The error code accompanies messages in the following forms:
- QuickBooks Error 15242: The payroll update did not finish successfully. QuickBooks FCS is damaged or unresponsive.
- QuickBooks Error 15242: The update did not conclude successfully. QuickBooks FCS is damaged or not responding.
The error may result in significant issues, gradually affecting the user’s QB performance and productivity. So, let’s dive into the causes and troubleshooting methods for the error.
Factors Triggering QuickBooks Error 15242
QuickBooks payroll update error 15242 emerges on a user’s screen and interrupts their workflow. Its impact may be severe, so knowing why this error occurs becomes crucial. Here are the leading reasons why you might see error 15242 floating on your screen, ruining your system’s updates:
- Your system’s FCS, aka File Copy Service, might be unavailable or not running. This service is crucial for QB to initiate and download updates, so users will see glitches if it’s not on. Further, it will attract errors if damaged, distorted, or misfunctioning. Therefore, users need to enable FCS or check its status in their system for resolution.
- Your payroll subscription is inactive.
- You may not have added the service key, or the one added is invalid.
- The program may be unable to verify the digital signature of a file. The digital signature assures identity and compliance with the regulations worldwide. QuickBooks verifies the digital signature of all downloaded files to ensure it’s correct for the program. So, errors might arise when they can’t be read or proven.
- The antivirus and firewall programs may be responsible for interfering with or restricting QuickBooks updates as they consider it a threat.
- Problems in the Shared Download Drive mapping may cause inaccuracy, leading to QuickBooks payroll error 15242.
- A file or component crucial to downloading QuickBooks payroll updates might have gone missing.
Troubleshooting Techniques to Fix QuickBooks Error 15242
Finally, we have reached the rectification section of the QuickBooks error 15242 blog. Here’s what you can do to fix the situation and prevent it from happening again:
Troubleshooting Technique 1: Repair your Program
The QB error 15242 arises when the FCS file gets damaged. Since this file is crucial for initiating and downloading updates in QuickBooks, users need to enable/ fix it to update their program. So, here are the steps to repair your QuickBooks application.
Before proceeding, you must back up your QuickBooks files to protect the data. Do so by heading to the Help menu, followed by Local Backup. Next, click Create Local Backup and follow the other prompts to finish backing up.
Now, let’s head to the steps to fix your QB application:
- Tap the Windows icon on the keyboard to access the Start menu.
- In the start menu, look for Control Panel. When you find it, click it.
- When the Control Panel window emerges on the screen, hit the Programs and Features tab.
- Further, look for the option Uninstall a program. However, if these options aren’t available, tap Programs/ Apps > Programs and Features/ Apps and Features.
- Hit the QuickBooks option in the program list on the screen and tap Continue.
- Then, hit the Repair option, followed by Next, and let the process finish.
- Tap Finish and restart your device if prompted.
- Also, update your QB desktop to the latest version.
- Now, verify if you can download the payroll updates error-free.
In some cases, users won’t see the Repair option. Instead, they’ll get a Change/ Reset option on the screen. So, they must proceed with them. Here’s a detailed sequence for the same:
- Type Control Panel in the search box of the taskbar and press Enter.
- Open the Control Panel window from the results.
- Click Programs and Features.
- You’ll get a list of apps installed on the device currently. Locate QB Desktop from here.
- Tap the Uninstall/ Change option.
- Further, hit the Change/ Reset tab.
- Complete the on-screen directions and reboot your device.
- Verify the presence of the error.
Troubleshooting Technique 2: Verify the Payroll Subscription Status
You may get QuickBooks error 15242 because your payroll subscription is no longer active. So, checking its status and adding the service key might help you get the necessary updates. Here’s how you can do so:
- Launch the QB software on your device.
- Tap the Employees menu and opt for the My Payroll Services option.
- Further, click Manage Service Key.
- Check if the service key is active. If not, you need to activate it by tapping the Add button and providing the service key you received in the email. The email sent to you after purchasing the subscription will have it.
- Move ahead by tapping the OK button.
- Review the error by running the QB payroll updates.
Troubleshooting Technique 3: Install the Digital Signature Certificate
The QuickBooks error 15242 doesn’t just arise while installing payroll updates. It may also emerge when QB downloads updates like usual. The factors responsible for the 15xxx-series error include an unverifiable digital signature certificate.
See, QuickBooks uses the digital signature certificate for all the downloaded files to ensure their compliance with regulations worldwide and the highest identity assurance level. So, when your program can’t download the payroll and QB updates, it’s because it cannot read and verify the digital signature of a file. You should manually install the digital signature certificate for results in such cases. Do so through the following steps:
- Head to the path C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- Here, locate and right-click the QBW32.exe file.
- Proceed to the Properties section.
- Continue moving the cursor to the Digital Signature tab. Ensuring that Intuit is included in the signature list would be best.
- Hit the Details option and view the Digital Signature Details window.
- Now, tap View Certificate.
- Click the Install Certificate option in the Certificate window.
- Tap Next and Finish until the prompts come to an end. Finally, end by tapping Finish.
Now, reboot your device and try updating QuickBooks Desktop to see if the error persists.
Troubleshooting Technique 4: Undertake Firewall Configuration Manually
When Windows Firewall restricts QuickBooks, you need to add exceptions for the program and its executable files. Handle it manually through the following actions:
- Navigate to the Start menu and type Windows Firewall in the search pane.
- Open Windows Firewall and click Advanced Settings.
- Right-tap Inbound Rules, then choose New Rule. (Repeat for Outbound Rules later)
- Further, click Port, followed by Next.
- Ensure to choose TCP.
- Now, enter the particular ports required for your QB version in the Specific Local Ports field:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- After entering the port number, click Next.
- Tap the Allow the Connection option, then hit Next.
- Ensure to mark all the profiles if prompted and click Next.
- Create a rule and give a name like “QBPorts(Year).”
- Hit Finish when you’re done.
Once done here, you should create Windows Firewall Exceptions for QuickBooks programs. QB uses executable files to accomplish numerous tasks. So, take the following steps to make an exception:
- Type Windows Firewall in the Start menu’s search pane.
- Enter the results and opt for Advanced Settings.
- Right-tap Inbound Rules, then click New Rule. (Do the same for Outbound Rules).
- Click Program, then Next.
- Choose This Program Path, then tap Browse.
- Look for and choose any of the executable files, then tap Next.
- Click Allow the Connection, then Next.
- Ensure to mark all the profiles if prompted and click Next.
- Create a rule and give a name like “QBFirewallException(name.exe).”
Run the payroll updates after completing these Outbound Rules steps and verify the error’s presence. If it continues, proceed with the following method.
Troubleshooting Technique 5: Download updates as an admin user
The Windows user logged into the OS must have administrative rights to undertake QB payroll updates. So, do so as follows:
Download updates as an admin user
- Shut down your company files and exit QB Desktop.
- Right-click the QB Desktop icon and click the Run as Administrator option.
Troubleshooting Technique 6: Scan through Quick Fix My Program
When everything else fails, resort to QuickBooks Tool Hub, a one-stop shop for all the utilities you’ll need to repair QuickBooks’ common errors. To correct QuickBooks error 15242, you’ll need to implement the Quick Fix My Program utility. This tool boosts the QB app’s performance by removing the speed bumps on the way and optimizing its running.
Here are the steps you must take to download and run Quick Fix My Program.
- First, verify if you have QB Tool Hub on your system already. If you do, you need to head to the Home tab and check the product version at the bottom. Ensure it’s the latest version, or else update QB Tool Hub.
- However, if you don’t have QuickBooks Tool Hub, you’ll need to download it from the official link on the Intuit website.
- Store the package somewhere easily accessible, like the desktop or the default downloads folder.
- Now, head to this location after downloading and double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
If the error still occurs, you should take the following actions:
Troubleshooting Technique 7: Reset QuickBooks Desktop Updates
When you can’t install and download payroll updates on your system, the following steps will help:
- Shut down QuickBooks Desktop and head to the path C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks XX\Components. (XX denotes the QB Desktop version)
- Right-click Components and hit Delete.
- Now, return to QuickBooks Desktop after rebooting your computer.
- If an update is requested, tap Install Now. If you can’t install the update, delete and download the update again.
- Open QuickBooks, access the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Further, click Update Now and hit the Reset Update checkbox.
- Opt for the Get Updates option. Then, when the download ends, shut down and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- Head to the Help menu and choose to Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Overview, then Update Now.
- Select Install Now on the QuickBooks Desktop Update Service window.
Troubleshooting Technique 8: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If the QuickBooks error 15242 keeps emerging on the screen, you should run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool to help resolve the issue. Here’s how the QB Install Diagnostic Tool will work:
- Download and Install QB Tool Hub as mentioned above (Step 6).
- Head to the Installation Issues section.
- Here, click QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- The scan will take around 20 minutes.
- Once it finishes, you can install payroll updates error-free.
Troubleshooting Technique 9: Turn on QuickBooks Desktop File Copy Services (FCS)
Enable the QuickBooks Desktop File Copy Services (FCS) to fix the error 15242:
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type COMPMGMT.MSC into the Run command and click OK.
- The Computer Management window will open. Navigate to Services and Applications.
- Click Services.
- Scroll down until you find Intuit QuickBooks FCS, and double-click on it.
- Click Startup type and choose Manual.
- Select Apply.
- Click OK.
Once completed, re-validate the payroll service key to refresh the connection:
- Go to the Employees menu.
- Choose My Payroll Service.
- Select Activate Service Key.
Troubleshooting Technique 10: Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop
Keep this method as the last resort to eliminate QuickBooks error 15242. Here, you must delete QuickBooks from your system and reinstall it. If you wish to carry out this method, do not forget to back up your company files and keep the license and product numbers handy.
Now, here’s how to uninstall and reinstall QB Desktop:
- Locate the system’s Control Panel on the desktop or by searching on the Windows Start menu.
- Open it and tap the Programs and Features tab.
- Further, click the Uninstall a Program option.
- A list of currently installed applications will be on your screen. Scroll down to find QuickBooks OR filter the results.
- Once you find QuickBooks, initiate its removal by following the prompts for uninstallation.
- Once the process finishes, you are free to reinstall it.
- Before reinstalling, make sure to get rid of any residual files and folders left behind by the previous installation.
- Once done, you can reinstall the QB app through official links.
- Get the QB product via email or CD, then install it on the device.
- Affirm the terms and conditions, register with your credentials, and set up QB after installation.
Hopefully, you won’t see any errors after reinstalling the QuickBooks application.
An alternative way to uninstall the QB app is through Settings. You can double-tap the Settings icon on the system and click Apps. Further, select Apps and Features and find QuickBooks Desktop. The QB app will have three dots at the end of its name. Select the Uninstall an App option, and the procedure will finish here.
Troubleshooting Technique 11: Switch to Selective Startup
Selective Startup allows you to run your QB operations like updates, installation, uninstallation, reinstallation, etc., without interferences from third-party applications and lingering background processes. The steps involved in switching to selective startup are as follows:
- Click the Windows and R keys together to launch the Run command.
- Enter msconfig in the search pane and hit OK.
- Tap Selective Startup in the General tab. Then, opt for Load System Services.
- Further, tick the Hide all Microsoft Services box in the Services tab.
- Now, click Disable All.
- Then, unmark the Hide All Microsoft Services option.
- Opt for Windows Installer from the services list.
- Hit OK.
- Click Restart from the system configuration window.
- Now, undertake the update, uninstall, and reinstall QB Desktop.
- Complete these steps and then return to the normal mode.
- Do so by tapping the Windows and R keys together to access the Run window.
- Type msconfig in the run command and click OK.
- Tap Normal Startup in the General tab.
- Hit OK, then restart the device from the system configuration window.
After returning to normal mode, check if you can download QB payroll updates without errors.
Concluding the Matter
This ultimate guide to QuickBooks error 15242 contains every detail you’ll need to understand and troubleshoot the error effectively. Unfortunately, the error can be annoying and chaotic, especially when appropriate methods do not work. We have curated this blog with all the solutions we know would work to resolve the QB error. However, it’s possible that the error still strikes, even after reinstalling QuickBooks. In such situations, you need professional assistance to detect the root system triggers for the error. If you aren’t an IT specialist, Microsoft, or QB expert, you won’t be able to handle the mess. So, let our team step up and take charge of rectifying the error with utmost satisfaction and pleasure. Our team is available at 1.855.738.2784 to resolve your issues from the root.
Before rectifying QB Error 15242, you need to consider the following aspects:
1. Back up your QuickBooks data and files to secure your data.
2. Note down crucial details about your QuickBooks version to reregister after reinstallation.
3. Update QuickBooks Desktop before downloading payroll updates.
4. Update Windows to ensure compatibility.
5. Ensure sufficient space in the system to download QB updates.
You should detect the reasons causing QuickBooks error 15242. It will help you implement the appropriate troubleshooting technique. Some credible solutions to the problem are as follows:
1. Verify your Payroll subscription status.
2. Undertake digital signature certificate installation.
3. Enable the FCS Services and ensure they are not damaged.
4. Repair the QB application.
5. Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop.