QuickBooks would automatically backup your company file data or ask you to set up the backup of the .QBW file to store all the information in a safe and secure location. Well, it has its own benefits in certain situations when there is no hope to recover any lost data or significant lost data. So, now that we have partly proven the importance of backup in QuickBooks, the first question that would pop-up in your mind is how to restore a QuickBooks Backup file. Let’s discuss about the same in details in this blog along with its importance.
Are you not sure how to restore the QuickBooks backup file to a new computer? Clear all of your doubts by dialing +1- 855 738 2784 and talk to the support staff anytime
What are the Conditions that could Require a User to Restore Company File from a Backup File?
There are numerous situations that could require you to restore QuickBooks to earlier date through a backup file. Below listed are some of those reasons:
- When the company file gets damaged to such an extent that it is virtually impossible to repair it through QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data Utility.
- The company file gets corrupted to such an extent that it is virtually impossible for any tool to repair it.
- If the company file faces a virus or malware breach, and all of the data gets compromised.
- In case the company file mistakenly gets deleted through human error.
How can you Restore Company File in QuickBooks Desktop through Backup?
In order to restore the backup file in QuickBooks Desktop, follow the steps mentioned ahead:
- Open QuickBooks and select the File menu.
- Go to Open or Restore Company, select Restore a backup copy, and click on Next.
- Click on Local Backup and then select Next. However, if you have placed the backup on a hosting service over the web, select the Online Backup option.
- Browse the backup of the company file in your hard drive. If you are storing it in an external device like a USB, move it to your hard drive first.
- Click on Next and select the folder in which you have stored the .qbb file in the Open Backup Copy window.
- Hit on Open and select Next.
At this point, QuickBooks will notify you that there is an existing file with the same name. Click on Replace if you don’t need the old backup file. However, if you are not certain about it, click on Cancel and rename the current backup file.
1. You will be headed back to Open or Restore Company dialog box as it would ask you to locate the folder to restore the Company File.
2. Click on Next and navigate to the corrupted or damaged company file via Save Company File as window.
3. Select the Company File and authorize the system to overwrite the data.
4. Click Yes and give your confirmation by writing YES in the forthcoming dialog box.
5. Select OK and as the overwriting completes, enter your administrator username and password in the QuickBooks Login page.
Important: In case you didn’t create a password, follow these steps.
a. Enter a different username in the given field.
b. In the coming Sensitive Data Protection Setup window, enter a new password and confirm it.
c. Select any challenge question and write the answer in the given field.
d. Click OK.
6. Choose OK and re-enter the transactions you had recorded from the time of backup until the completion of the process.
How to do QB Online restore backup via Web Restore?
If you are a QuickBooks Online user and looking to download your backup file through Web Restore utility to restore QuickBooks Backup Data, follow these steps.
1. Go to the QuickBooks Online Backup Login website and enter your User ID and Password in the given fields.
2. Select the Web Restore option and install the ActiveX control, if implied.
3. Complete all the actions asked from the system.
4. Create a new folder on your desktop or any other place in your hard drive and name it Backup.
5. Click Restore and select the folder created in the above step.
6. After downloading the backup file, complete the restoring process by following the steps mentioned in the last question.
Alternative Option for QuickBooks Pro Backup File Restore via IDP (Intuit® Data Protect) Subscription:
1. Open your QuickBooks homepage and go to the Backup Status tab.
2. Click on View Details option and select Restore a Backup.
3. Choose the date and time of the backup you want to be restored in your company file and click on Continue.
4. Choose the location of the restored file and select Restore.
How to Restore QuickBooks Backup File in Mac?
To restore the most recent QuickBooks backup in QuickBooks for Mac, firstly you would need to browse your backup Company file by following these steps:
1. Open QuickBooks and select Preferences from the menu bar.
2. Choose Backup and click on Reveal Backup Folder.
3. Double-click the folder where you have saved your backup files and select Date Modified utility to check on your most recent backup.
Note: You can also use magnifying glass utility to quickly search the file. Just click on the magnifying glass icon in the QuickBooks menu. Search for .dmg in the search bar and click on Show all in Finder.
Now, since you have located the backup file, double click on it. In the next window, drag the copy of your company file to the location of the QuickBooks Company folder. Don’t overwrite the existing company file if you have one. Move the copy to a different folder. Complete the process of restoration by following these steps:
1. Open the QuickBooks for Mac application and click on Browse.
2. Locate the folder of the saved copy of the company file, select it, and click Open.
3. Click on Continue in the prompted window and enter the name for the restored company file.
4. Click on Save and select OK.
Facing Errors in Restoring the Backup File?
There are several issues that you could face when you restore a backup company file using your backup copy. All of these error messages come under the umbrella term of QuickBooks Restore Failed error.
- Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 backup file.
- Error: Restore Failed. Can’t remove log file.
- Error: Failed.
- This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different name.
For a detailed guide on this error message, follow our article How to Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Error.
At this point, we would like to end our blog on how to restore a QuickBooks backup file. We hope that the content written in this post would answer all your queries. However, if it misses any question, call on the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784 and get immediate assistance from the Support team.