QuickBooks error 1328 is a technical hiccup emerging out of nowhere. It can interrupt your work routine and delay your work. However, fix it effectively by following this easy-to-understand and detailed troubleshooting guide for this error.
If you are facing issues updating, repairing, uninstalling, or installing the QuickBooks Desktop application, you might have encountered error 1328 QuickBooks. Several reasons trigger this error in the application, and that is why error 1328 is one of the most common errors faced by QuickBooks users.
However, troubleshooting this error in QuickBooks is not tedious if you know the correct troubleshooting technique. In this article, along with the troubleshooting methods, we have discussed various reasons that prompt QuickBooks update error 1328 on the screen.
Instead of dealing with errors related to the company file on their own, more than 90% of users choose QuickBooks support to avoid risking the company’s data. If you also need the supervision of a QuickBooks expert to resolve QuickBooks error 1328, dial +1- 855 738 2784 now.
QuickBooks error code 1328 is an error that interrupts several QuickBooks functions like repairing, updating, installing, and uninstalling the QB Desktop program and throws an error message that reads “Error 1328. Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PTXXX.tmp.” Resolving the error will require you to repair the QuickBooks Desktop installation and install a fresh copy of the program.
What Triggers QuickBooks Update Error 1328?
QuickBooks encounters an error 1328 error updating file due to the following triggers:
- The first and primary reason for getting the 1328 update error is using a license number that is not compatible with the version of QuickBooks you are trying to install.
- In case some critical Windows system files are infected with viruses and malware.
- If the software setup files you have downloaded for the installation are partially downloaded or corrupt, you may see QuickBooks error 1328 applying patch.
- Sudden system failure or improper Windows shutdown.
- Damaged or corrupted program files may cause error 1328.
- Windows registry entries may be invalid due to recent modifications.
- Network and connectivity issues may be causing error 1328.
Troubleshooting to Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Error 1328
Ensure that the product registration information you are using to activate QuickBooks after the installation is correct, and scan your PC using your favorite antivirus to get rid of any possible computer infections. So let’s jump on to the advanced troubleshooting for the QuickBooks update error now:
Troubleshooting Step 1: Perform Windows Update
Updating your Windows to the latest update available will also update Windows components that QuickBooks require to function error-free, like MSXML, Microsoft .Net Framework, and C++.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and in the Search Programs and Files search box, type Windows Update.
- Click the Windows Update icon at the top of the list.
- Click Check for Updates and once the Windows has finished downloading the updates, click Install Updates.
- Restart your computer and install or update QuickBooks to see if the error is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Rename Hidden System File Config.msi
Config.msi is a file that helps the installer install an application on the Windows operating system. If the error results from a damaged Config.msi file, renaming it will force Windows to create a new one that can help rectify the error 1328.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and click Computer from the left side of the programs list.
- From the left side panel, click Local Disk (C:).
- Click Organize from the top and select Folder and Search Options.
- Under the View tab, unmark the Hide Protected Operating System Files.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Now, in the search bar located at the top right of the window, type and search for the Config.msi file.
- Right-click the Config.msi file and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name, e.g. (Config.msi.OLD).
- Restart your Windows and use QuickBooks once again to verify QuickBooks Error 1328 is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Download and Use QB Install Diagnostic Tool
Utilizing QB Install Tool will automatically resolve any issues with Windows components like MSMXL, .Net Framework, and C++ that cause this 1328-update error in QuickBooks.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from Here.
- Once the download completes, exit other applications running on Windows.
- Click the setup file from the Downloads of your computer
- Agree to the license terms and conditions to install Tool Hub.
- Run the program using the desktop icon.
- Move to the Program Installation Problems sections, and select QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Hit Yes on the EULA Agreement.
- Click Proceed on the QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool window.
- Wait until the tool updates all the Microsoft components. Once the update completes, restart your Windows and try to use QuickBooks once again.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Rename the Folders where QB is Installed
If any corrupt file or folder in the QuickBooks installation directory prompts QuickBooks to display error message 1328, renaming the folder will prevent QuickBooks from using that particular folder and files in it. QB will then create new folders and files for use that will eventually resolve QuickBooks Desktop Error 1328.
- Follow the steps mentioned in this article to Display Hidden Windows Files.
- Now, from Windows file explorer, navigate to the location where QuickBooks folders are located on your C drive.
- Usually you will find the QuickBooks program files in the following locations: “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks” or “C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks” or “C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks” or “64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks“.
- Right-click each folder inside the QuickBooks installation folder and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the folder name and try to use the QuickBooks Desktop application once again.
- If the error reappears, perform a clean installation of QuickBooks using the next troubleshooting step.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Perform a Clean Installation of QBDT on Windows
If none of the troubleshooting works for you then reinstalling the QuickBooks Desktop app will resolve QuickBooks Update Error 1328. Follow the steps below to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks:
- Press the Windows + R key together on your keyboard to open the Run Window.
- Enter the command Control Panel in the search bar of the Run Window.
- Now, under the Programs and Features list, look for QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- Select QuickBooks from the list of the programs and then click Uninstall from the top.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Run QuickBooks Tool Hub and move to the Program Installation Problems section.
- Open the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool and click I Accept on the license agreement page.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks on your Desktop.
- For detailed instructions, follow our article in QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
Troubleshooting Step 6: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Installation
Repairing QuickBooks Desktop installation is the last resort to eliminating error 1328. Follow the instructions below and quickly repair the damage in the installation of QuickBooks Desktop to fix the issue.
- Open the Control Panel and move to the Add/Remove Program section.
- Select Uninstall a Program option and locate QuickBooks in the list.
- Select QuickBooks and click Repair from the options highlighted at the top.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to repair the damaged QuickBooks installation and try to perform the same action that was triggering the error earlier.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Utilize System File Checker
System File Checker is an excellent tool to rectify various system errors. Undertake the following steps to execute it:
- Go to the Start tab and type ‘cmd’ in the search space, but do not press enter.
- Hold the keys Ctrl and Shift together and then hit the Enter key.
- Alternatively, you can enter cmd, right-click the Command option and run as administrator.
- When the command prompt window opens, you only need to write SFC/scannow and hit Enter.
- After the process ends, close all the active Windows and open QuickBooks software. Initiate updating the software to check for error resolution.
On the off chance that you face issues following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article, or you need to make changes to the Windows settings, we suggest you call the Technical Helpline Number +1- 855 738 2784 for quick assistance. Our support representatives will help in rectifying QuickBooks Error 1328.
How to recognize QB error 1328?
You can spot the QB error 1328 in the following ways:
- When you run your system, it performs sluggishly.
- QuickBooks update stops in the middle.
- Error 1328 might appear on the screen.
- The active QB program might crash.
- QuickBooks repair might face problems.
- Hampered uninstallation and reinstallation of QB software.
What does the error 1328 description state?
The error 1328 QuickBooks shows the following warning message:
Error 1328: Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PTXXX.tmp.
QuickBooks Error 1328. Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PT19C6.tmp. System error- 1072807676
Error 1328 is a Windows Installer error code that typically arises when there is a problem with the installation or updating of a software application. It often relates to issues with file permissions, file corruption, or problems with the installer. It can indicate that the installer cannot update or replace a file because it’s in use, locked, or the permissions don’t allow it.
Why does QuickBooks error 1328 arise?
Here are some common reasons why QuickBooks error 1328 may arise:
- Corrupted or damaged installation files can trigger error 1328. It might happen while downloading, extracting, or copying installation files.
- If your computer lacks free disk space, the installation or update process may fail, leading to error 1328.
- Inadequate permissions on the folders where QuickBooks is installed or updated can prevent the necessary files from being modified or replaced during the process.
- Other software running in the background, particularly security software or third-party applications, may interfere with QuickBooks installation or updates.
How do I eliminate QuickBooks error 1328?
You can resolve QB error 1328 as follows:
- Close any applications that might be using the file being updated.
- Restart your computer and attempt the installation or update again.
- Check and repair file permissions for the affected files or folders.
- Re-download the installer or the software package to ensure it’s not corrupted.
- If you’re encountering this error during a software update, consider uninstalling the current version and performing a clean installation of the latest version.
What scenarios prompt QuickBooks error 1328?
Here are some common scenarios that can prompt QuickBooks error 1328:
- Error 1328 can occur during the initial installation of QuickBooks. It may be due to problems with the installation files, insufficient disk space, or permission issues.
- When you attempt to update your QuickBooks software to a newer version or try a patch, you may encounter error 1328 if there are issues with the update files or if the update process is interrupted.
- If you’re trying to repair or reinstall QuickBooks, you might encounter error 1328 if the repair or reinstallation process faces problems with existing files.