Updating your QuickBooks Desktop application to the latest released version is always beneficial as it ensures better security and performance and you get all the latest features added to the application. Updating also ensures that you get rid of security holes and any bugs in the application that sometimes causes QuickBooks to throw errors while in use. If you are still using an outdated version of QuickBooks Desktop application and wanted to have the latest one with all the updated features and capabilities, then follow the instructions mentioned in this article that will help you upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version.
Benefits of Updating QuickBooks Desktop Version
Updating the version of your QuickBooks Desktop application is different from upgrading the version of your product, for example, Intuit frequently releases updates for its various versions of QuickBooks like 2018, 2017, and 2019 whereas product update is released only once a year. Down below we have listed the benefits of updating your version of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Updating ensures better security of your data.
- You get more improved performance of the app on your operating system.
- Fixes to some common security loops and bugs in the application.
- New enhanced features like Real-Time Invoice Status Tracking, improved data file optimization feature and more.
- Error-free user experience.
How to check if your QuickBooks Desktop app is updated?
There are two methods of updating the QuickBooks Desktop app the first one is the automatic update method and the other one is using the manual update method. If you have not set up your QuickBooks to update automatically, then you must first need to check whether you have the updates installed.
- Open QuickBooks and press Ctrl + 1 or F2 key on your keyboard to get the Product Information window.
- On the Product Information window, check the version and latest release of the QuickBooks patch.
- Compare the latest version of your QuickBooks patch from the links given below.
If your QuickBooks version is not updated then follow the instructions below for performing an update.
Manually Updating QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release
Step to Update QuickBooks from Within the Application
- Open QuickBooks and click Close Company/Logoff from under the File tab.
- Now select Exit from the File tab.
- From your Desktop right click the QuickBooks icon and choose Run as Administrator.
- Once QuickBooks display No Company Open, click the Help tab and select Update QuickBooks.
- Click Mark All under the Options menu and click Save.
- Now from under the Update Now menu checkmark the Reset Update checkbox.
- Click Get Updates, and once QuickBooks displays Update Complete, exit the application.
- Open QuickBooks again and click Yes on the Install Updates popup.
- Once all the updates are installed, restart your system.
Steps to Update QuickBooks outside the Application
- Follow the link and navigate to the QuickBooks Downloads and Updates webpage.
- Select the country, product and product version and click the Search button.
- If you already have QuickBooks installed on your computer then click Get the Latest Updates link on the page.
- After the updates are downloaded, go to the downloads of your computer and double-click the update file to start the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updates.
- Once the updates are installed, make sure to restart your computer.
IMPORTANT: If you are a subscribed user of QuickBooks Payroll then after updating the application you are also required to update the payroll tax table. Follow the link and download the most recent payroll tax table updates. Download the Latest Payroll Tax Table
Turn On Automatic Updates for QuickBooks
- Open QuickBooks and from under the Help tab, click Update QuickBooks.
- Click the Options tab and select Yes for both Automatic Updates and Shared Downloads options.
- Hit Close button.
- This will turn on the automatic updates and whenever a new update is launched QuickBooks will automatically download it.
However, the update process is straightforward you might still get errors during the update which is caused by faults and misconfigurations in the operating system. If in case you have encountered an error while updating QuickBooks to the latest version then you can always get in touch with us at our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number (844)-888-4666 for quick help and support from certified QuickBooks Desktop experts.