QuickBooks Payroll service allows users to run payrolls and e-file federal and state taxes with ease and is considered as the most cost-effective ways to pay employees. A common error that user encounters while updating payroll is QuickBooks error 15243 that evolves when QuickBooks File Copy Service (FCS) stops working due to some reasons. Once you get this error, you will see an error message on the screen “Error 15243 – The update of payroll is not able to complete successfully. The QuickBooks FCS service is damaged”. To resolve this error, you need to follow multiple troubleshooting steps that we have mentioned further in our article.
What Causes Payroll Update Error 15243
- QuickBooks Payroll is not updated to the latest version of payroll.
- QuickBooks FCS is not responding due to some reasons.
- QuickBooks File Copy Service is damaged or disabled.
- You don’t have any active payroll subscription.
You might also get other errors related to the FCS service like error 15222, which occurs while updating the application. You can simply follow the basic troubleshooting steps mentioned below for an easy resolution.
NOTE: Before proceeding further with the troubleshooting make sure that your QuickBooks Payroll subscription is active.
How to Fix QuickBooks FCS Service is Damaged Error
Troubleshooting Step 1: Verify your Payroll Subscription
- From QuickBooks application’s dashboard, click My Payroll Service from under the Employees tab.
- Select Account and Billing Information.
- Now close the Maintenance Page that appears on the window.
- Now QuickBooks will start validating Payroll Subscription.
- After the validation payroll will start updating.
- Once the update is finished, try using payroll.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Application
- For complete instructions on repairing QuickBooks Desktop app to fix error 15243, follow our article on How to Repair QuickBooks.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Repair QuickBooks File Copy Service (FCS)
- Press Windows + R key on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Inside the Run window’s search box type services.msc and click OK.
- From the list of services find and double click Intuit QuickBooks FCS.
4. From the Intuit QuickBooks FCS Properties window, select Manual option for the Startup type.
5. Hit the OK button and open QuickBooks payroll to see if the problem is resolved.
This is some basic troubleshooting that you can follow to resolve Error 15243 in QuickBooks Payroll, but in case if your issue is not resolved even after following all the troubleshooting steps, this might be because of some errors in Windows components or because of infections present on the computer. We suggest you contact QuickBooks Desktop Helpline Number (844)-888-4666 and let one of our certified QuickBooks Support representatives connect with you for assistance.