If you have run into an error, while installing or updating QuickBooks Desktop to a later version, then it might be the error 1310 that you have encountered. Error 1310 is one of the most common errors that a QuickBooks Desktop user face while applying an update or while installing a newer version of the Desktop app. Error message “Error writing to file C:\Config.Msi\5f60cd6.rbf. Verify that you have access to the directory” or “Error writing to file C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018\BusinessObjectProvider.dll” pops up on user’s screen when error 1310 is triggered in the QB Desktop app. With this article, you will learn how to troubleshoot 1310 Error in QuickBooks. Follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
What Cause Writing to File Error 1310 in QuickBooks Desktop
Writing to file error is a common error that not only affects QuickBooks Desktop but also appears while installing or updating other Windows applications like Proclaim, Adobe, Houdini and many others. This happens when the application installer due to some reasons cannot write or create files in the installation directory. The list of reasons that triggers this error in the application are listed below:
- In case, if there is not sufficient storage available on the hard-drive for the installation.
- The user is trying to install or update the application without admin rights on Windows.
- The installation drive is write-protected.
- Damaged or corrupt hard-drive sectors.
- Corrupt files on local storage interrupt QuickBooks installation that results in error 1310.
- Third-party security applications are interfering QuickBooks Desktop installation.
- The user does not have proper folder access permission.
- Microsoft Windows Installer is not registered.
- Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, make sure that you have admin rights on Windows.
- Disable all startup programs before installing or upgrading the QB Desktop app or reboot Windows in Safe Mode. (Rebooting Windows in Safe Mode will disable all third-party programs interrupting QuickBooks installation that might fix error 1310).
- Make sure you have free memory available on your hard-drive for the installation.
- Try installing QB Desktop to a different drive.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Error 1310
Troubleshooting Step 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Click the link and Download QB Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Exit every application that is running on Windows.
- Go to the download location and double-click the QB Install Diagnostic Tool
- Wait until the Diagnostics tool scan and repair installation errors. (It might take 15-20 Minutes for the tool to complete the repair process).
- After the repair process completes, restart your computer and try installing/upgrading QuickBooks Desktop application.
- In case if you are still getting the same writing to file error 1310 then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Change User Account Control Settings
- Press Windows key + Letter R on your keyboard together.
- In the search box of Run window type Control Panel and hit OK.
- Click User Account and select Change user account control settings.
- Click Yes for the confirmation.
- Move your slider to Never Notify to turn off the UAC.
- Hit OK and restart the computer.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Reregister Microsoft Windows Installer
- Click the Windows Start button and type msiexec /unreg in the Search programs and files box.
- Press Enter and then click the Windows Start button once again.
- Type msiexec /regserver and press Enter.
- Now try to Install or update QuickBooks once again.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Login with an Administrator account on Windows
Follow our article on How to Create a User with Admin Rights on Windows for detailed instructions.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Assign Full Admin Access to the Windows Installer
- Click the Start button on the Desktop and type Command Prompt.
- Right click the Command Prompt that appears at the top of the list and select Run as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt’s black color window type icacls “C:\Config.Msi” /T /C /grant administrators:F. (You need to change the folder name that is mentioned in the command /Config.Msi/ with the folder name that you have got in the error message).
- Hit the Enter key on your keyboard and close Command Prompt.
- Try installing and upgrading QuickBooks.
Installers are complex applications and sometimes troubleshooting errors related to installers requires in-depth troubleshooting knowledge, in case if you are not familiar with Windows troubleshooting and find it difficult to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article then you can call our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Team at (844)-888-4666. Our QB experts are proficient in rectifying Desktop errors and provide complete solutions to the users in the shortest time possible.