QuickBooks Desktop is an accounting application developed by Intuit that works to make managing books a piece of cake. Users worldwide use this application to make the most of its extensive features. Just like any other application, it is prone to errors, but Intuit ensures that with the latest versions, users can tackle the issues in the application. Therefore, updating QuickBooks Desktop is essential to continue working on the app; however, during the operation of updating QuickBooks or downloading it, users have reported QuickBooks Error 1601. QuickBooks Error 1601 appears with an error message: Error 1601: Windows Installer is not accessible. The message does not display many details, and if this error has left you baffled, then this extensive guide will help you eliminate this error manually.
However, if you are short of time, we suggest calling the experts team on +1- 855 738 2784 for a prompt solution to QuickBooks Error 1601
Commands that will aid in solving the QuickBooks Error 1601
Using these fixed methods will successfully help you tackle the QuickBooks Error 1601. In this section, we are going to list three ways that proved helpful in combating the QuickBooks update error. Since the error is linked to the Windows installer, there will be technical steps, and you must complete them cautiously.
Method 1: Troubleshoot the Microsoft MSXML
Microsoft MSXML components are essential when downloading or updating QuickBooks. Therefore, when these components are damaged, the user has a high chance of facing QuickBooks Error 1601 when updating or downloading the application. Consequently, we will repair these components in the first way of fixing error 1601.
- For 64-Bit operating system users, you should follow the steps below.
- Click on the Windows Start menu, and type cmd in the search text bar.
- Once cmd appears, right-click on it to choose the Run as Administrator option.
- When you see the C: prompt, you must enter cd\Windows\syswow64.
- Next, type the regsvr32 MSXML6.dll command and hit the Enter key.
- Finally, try installing or updating QuickBooks.
- 32-Bit operating system users can register MSXML with the following steps.
- Use your keyboard’s Windows + R keys to launch the Run command.
- Enter cmd and press the Enter key.
- Next, type regsvr32 MSXML6.dll and again press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Lastly, try getting the QuickBooks Desktop update.
Read Also – Fix QuickBooks Payroll Won’t Update Error
Method 2: Use the Selective startup mode to fix QuickBooks Error 1601
When you switch to the Selective Startup mode of your computer, you ensure that no other process restricts the update or download of the QuickBooks application. Hence, first, we will help you start the computer in selective startup mode.
- Use the Windows + R key, which is the command to open the Run window.
- Once you are in the window, type MSConfig.
- Hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Navigate to the General tab and click on the Selective startup option.
- Click on Load system services.
- Now use the Services tab and click on Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Select Disable all.
- Click on the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox, which will unselect it.
- Ensure that the Windows Installer checkbox is selected.
- Select OK.
- From the System Configuration window, click on Restart.
- Now you are in the selective startup mode and must clean install QuickBooks Desktop.
- On the completion of the installation, it is time to switch to the normal mode.
- Again use the Windows + R keys.
- In the Run command window, type MSConfig.
- Click on OK.
- From the General tab, select Normal startup.
- Click on OK and then Restart.
Recommended To Read – How to Fix QuickBooks Update Error
Method 3: Manually repair the Microsoft .NET Framework
An issue with Microsoft .NET Framework can be a primary reason for QuickBooks Error 1601. Therefore, with these steps, we will help you repair this Microsoft program.
- You must close any open program on your computer and then go to the Windows Start menu.
- In the search bar, type Control Panel and hit the Enter key.
- The Control Panel window will appear on your screen.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Choose the Uninstall a Program option and then Turn Windows features on or off.
- You must search the list for the .NET Framework.
At this point, you must review the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
How to review the NET Framework 4.5 (or later)?
You must see if the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox is selected. If it is not, follow the steps below:
- Click on the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox to select this option.
- Use the OK button to save your changes and restart your system.
In the second scenario, if you see that the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox is already selected, then do the following:
- Click on the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox, turning it from selected to unselected.
- While the above option is still not market, click OK to save the changes.
- Restart the PC and login back into your operating system.
- At this point, you must turn the .NET Framework 4.5 on again.
Next, you must perform specific commands for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Look if the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 checkbox is marked. If it isn’t, use the following instructions to proceed:
- You must click on the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 checkbox.
- Click on the OK button to save your changes.
- Finally, restart the system.
For the second situation, you may see that the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 checkbox is checked. In this case, use the commands below:
- Turn off the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 checkbox by clicking on it. Remember not to turn it on.
- Click on OK, which will save the above changes.
- Restart the system and sign in to your operating system.
- At last, use the above steps to reach the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and turn it on again.
That is all for the QuickBooks Error 1601. We hope you were able to eliminate this issue. If not, then advanced tools need to be used to work out the error. We suggest not performing any other steps and calling support on the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784.
Related Posts –