In this blog, we will take a closer look at the error message that states “QuickBooks already has a company file open.” Before reaching the end of this blog you will be able to identify the causes that trigger this error message and get rid of it with the least effort possible.
QuickBooks allows multiple users to access the company file by using its multi-user mode. The multi-user mode enables various users on the same network to access the file. This means there is a possibility that a file you are trying to access might already be open on another computer on the same network. This scenario creates an issue, and you might see an error message stating “QuickBooks already has a company file open” on your screen. This issue mostly occurs due to an incorrect hosting setup and can be resolved with the help of a few simple solutions. In this article, we are going to provide you with the reasons and solutions for this QuickBooks problem.
If you have tried your best to get rid of the “QuickBooks already has a company file open” error message but it is still not leaving QuickBooks, reach out to our experts at +1- 855 738 2784 for a seamless troubleshooting experience
What is the “QuickBooks already has a File Open” Error Message Denotes?
This easy-to-decode error message that says “can’t open QuickBooks already has a company file open” indicate a few glitches in the QuickBooks Desktop program excluding the fact that there is actually a company file already opened in QuickBooks. However, if you are sure that this is not true, there could be other possible reasons that can trigger the same error message in the program that we will study further in this article.
Reasons Why the “Can’t Open QuickBooks Already has a Company File Open” Problem Arises?
If you are unable to open the QuickBooks company file, the following factors might be responsible –
- The multi-user setup on the server computer and the workstations is incorrect.
- Third-party applications are running in the background, interrupting QuickBooks’ processes.
- Another user is making changes to the company file you are trying to access.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not active, or it is not running.
- The installation ID you are using is for a single user only.
- You are using different QuickBooks paths to open a specific company file.
- The company file name differs from the one setup in QQube Configuration Tool.
Read Also – QuickBooks Crashes When Opening Company File
Effective Steps to Perform when QuickBooks Says Company File is in Use
If you are getting the “can’t open QuickBooks already has a company file open” message, follow these solutions to eliminate it –
Solution 1. Install the Latest Updates and Upgrade Your QuickBooks Desktop
The first and foremost step is to make sure that your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release. If not, you need to install updates to get rid of any minor bugs and errors that might be causing the company file issue.
- Press F2 to open the Product Information window and check the current version of QuickBooks installed on your computer.
- Now, go to the QuickBooks Help menu and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option to download the latest available updates.
- Once the updates are downloaded, follow the on-screen instructions and reopen QuickBooks to select the Install Now option.
- Check if you are able to access the company file without any error post-completion of the update process.
Solution 2. Enable Server Hosting and Disable Workstation Hosting
- The next step is to correct the hosting setup on your server computer and all the workstations.
- On the workstation having issues, open QuickBooks and head to the QuickBooks File menu.
- From the Utilities tab, select the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option to disable the multi-hosting mode.
- Repeat this step on all your workstations to enable the single-user hosting mode.
- Open your server computer and access the QuickBooks File menu to go to the Utilities option.
- Click on Host Multi-User Access to enable multi-user hosting on the server computer and fix the hosting setup.
- Once done, try opening your QuickBooks company file on the network and see if you are getting the “can’t open
- QuickBooks already has a company file open” error message.
Recommended To Read – QuickBooks is Unable to Open Company File
Solution 3. Verify the File Extension and Check if you are Accessing the Right File Type
Sometimes the error can occur due to basic problems like the file extension being wrong. You need to check that the company file you are accessing has the .QBW extension. If you are using the right extension, try opening the .QBW file manually to see if the company file is damaged.
Solution 4. Access the Task Manager and End All QuickBooks Processes
- Terminate all the QuickBooks processes from the Task Manager to fix the issues with opening your company file.
- Find the taskbar at the bottom of your system to open the Task Manager or press Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Go to the Processes tab and look for the QuickBooks processes that are currently running.
- Find the QBDBMgrN.exe process and right-click on it to select Delete and terminate the process.
- Carry out the same step for other QB processes to delete them, and once done, reopen QuickBooks.
Solution 5. Disable the Quick Startup Option by Using Your Admin Rights
Firstly, run QuickBooks as an admin by right-clicking on the QB Desktop icon and then follow the steps given below –
- From the Edit menu, select the Preferences tab and find the General tab from the left pane.
- Go to the My Preferences tab and uncheck the Keep QuickBooks running for Quick Startup checkbox.
- Now, close QuickBooks and perform a system reboot to get rid of the QuickBooks already has a company file open issue.
Solution 6. Modify the .ND and .TLG File Names to Mend the Damage
Damaged network data and transaction log files can prevent QuickBooks from opening the company file. To fix these file issues, rename the file in the following manner.
- Go to the QuickBooks File Directory and look for the files with .ND and .TLG extensions.
- Once found, right-click on the file name and select Rename to modify the name.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name as a suffix and hit Enter to save the changes.
- Now, change the other file .ND and .TLG file names in a similar manner, and once done, try opening the QuickBooks company file again to check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 7: Clean up the Junk Files
- Find the Start option or Windows button.
- Write the command in the search box without pressing Enter.
- Press Ctrl + Shift and then press Enter.
- A permission dialog box appears.
- Click the Yes option, which will open up a prompt window.
- Move to the Clean Manager and press Enter.
- Disk Cleanup will now run an estimate of the used disk space. Mark the box and select OK.
Solution 8: Mend the Issues in the Windows Registry
- First, find the Start/Window tab.
- Now write the command in the search box without pressing Enter yet.
- Then press her Ctrl + Shift keys on the keyboard and press enter.
- Once completed, a dialog box will appear.
- You have to click the Yes button. A window with a blinking cursor appears on the screen.
- Type Reg edit and press Enter. In the Registry Editor, select the button associated with the error.
- Find the File option and select Export.
- Choose the folder from the list labeled destination to save the file.
- In the field labeled File name, enter the name of the QuickBooks backup file associated with creating the backup.
- Make sure you select the branch of your choice listed in the Export range box.
- Click the Save button.
- Finally, the file is saved with a range extension.
If your QuickBooks already has a company file open, the issue can be easily eliminated with the help of a few solutions. Perform the steps given in this article and if the issue persists, you might need to perform advanced troubleshooting. For this, you can take assistance from our team of experts by dialing +1- 855 738 2784.
Why am I seeing a “QuickBooks already has a company file Open” Message even if there is no company opened?
The error message that you are seeing that says “can’t open QuickBooks already has a company file open” is not always a reason of another company file and corruption in the QuickBooks program can also trigger the same error messages.
What is something that I must know to avoid such errors in QuickBooks?
The first and the surest ways to avoid errors like “QuickBooks already has a company file open” error messages is to keep your QuickBooks updated and regularly check your QuickBooks data and make sure it is free of corruption.
Related Posts –
Dealing with QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816! Here’s How to Fix it
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 77 – Best Solutions
QuickBooks Error 6000 83 – Cause, Symptoms and Solution | Quick Fix
QuickBooks Not Responding When Opening Company File? Quick Fixes