If you are unable to use QuickBooks because of some issues with QBDBMgrN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) service then you are not alone, a number of users face this issue while running QuickBooks on Windows operating systems and QuickBooks support forums are flooded with user queries like “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer and QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped”. Such errors where QBDBMgrN service failed to start or won’t open indicates that Windows firewall is interrupting the service and blocking its connection with the internet. However, the good news is that you can quickly resolve the problem by configuring the Windows firewall and its ports but make sure to follow every step cautiously as a single mistake can result in data loss. Follow the complete article for detailed instructions.
What QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Message Means
Before we discuss why QBDBMgrN keeps stopping on Windows, you must first understand what QBDBMgrN or QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service is and why it is used to run QuickBooks. QBDBMgrN is a process by Intuit that allows more than one user to access the database and the company file stored on the file hosting server. If the QBDBMgrN service is not running on your computer or is disabled, then you can only use QuickBooks in Single-user mode, and QuickBooks will give you an error “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” when you switch QB to Multi-user mode.
QBDBMgrN is an executable process on Windows with an .exe extension, and you can see the process running in the task manager of your computer. Follow our article Fix Multi-User Mode Errors for detailed instructions on troubleshooting common errors while setting up multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
Why are you getting QBDBMgrN not running on this computer Error Message
The error usually occurs when you update QuickBooks to a newer version and the Windows firewall is still not updated, this causes the firewall to detect QBDBMgrN service as an unknown service, and it blocks its access to the internet. When you repair your company file and network using QuickBooks File Doctor it displays an error message “Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”.
QuickBooks File Doctor can automatically repair common issues and damage in the company file and the network but it cannot configure the firewall of your computer that is causing problems with the QBDBMgrN service, so we have to manually set the firewall and its ports to allow QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to establish a connection with the internet.
How to Fix QBDBMgrN not Running on this Computer Error
Fix 1: Update Windows Firewall
- Press Windows + R key and type Control Panel in the Run window.
- Press Enter and click the System and Security option.
- Select Windows Firewall and click Check for Updates under the Update your Firewall Settings section.
- If Windows find any updates, then click the Update Now option and wait until the updates are installed.
- Restart your computer and open QuickBooks again.
IMPORTANT: If you are having any issues updating the firewall or if you are getting any error then you can manually update the firewall by downloading the update files. There are separate update files for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems. Download and open the updates from the links given below and follow the on-screen instructions to install the updates.
Download updates for 32 Bit Windows
Download updates for 64 Bit Windows
If you are still getting QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error message in QuickBooks File Doctor, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Fix 2: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
- Press Windows + letter R key on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type Services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Scroll down and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service listed as either QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB27 or QuickBooksDB26 where 28 stands for 2018 version, 27 for 2017, and 26 for 2016 version of QuickBooks.
- Right-click the proper QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service and select Restart.
- Try to open QuickBooks again and if you are still not able to run QuickBooks then try the next fix.
Fix 3: Add QBDBMgrN Service to Firewall and its Ports
- Follow troubleshooting steps 2 and 4 from our article QuickBooks Update Error 12029 for detailed instructions on how to add QuickBooks to the exclusion list of your Windows Firewall.
- Exclude QBDBMgrN.exe file located in C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks folder.
- Save the settings in the firewall and try using QuickBooks once again.
NOTE: If you are using a firewall other than Windows, then you might need to contact the firewall provider to get the exact instructions on excluding QuickBooks Database Server Manager from their firewall’s blocking list, as there are numerous firewalls available to the user and it is not possible for us to mention steps for each firewall in this article.
Fix 4: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Application
- Press Windows + R on keyboard and type appwiz.cpl in the Run window.
- Press Enter and locate QuickBooks in the list of installed programs.
- Double-click QuickBooks and select Uninstall/Change.
- Click Continue and then Next.
- Choose Repair and then click Next.
- Wait until the repair process completes.
- Click Finish and restart Windows.
Fix 5: Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool
- Follow step 5 Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows using Clean Install Tool from our article QuickBooks Error 1328 for detailed instructions.
If you are still unable to use QuickBooks because the firewall is blocking QBDBMgrN service or there is an issue with the server hosting the file in multi-user mode, then we suggest you get in touch with us at (844)-888-4666. Sometimes it becomes complex to resolve errors with QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and we need to diagnose Windows with advanced tools and software, our certified QuickBooks support experts deal with such errors regularly and can provide you an instant solution on time.
Related Search Terms: QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2012, QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2016, QBDBMgrN not running on this computer 2018, QBDBMgrN keeps stopping, QuickBooks Database Server Manager Stopped, QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server 2008, QuickBooks database server manager is not available, QuickBooks database server manager will not start, QuickBooks database server manager unable to retrieve connected files, QuickBooks database server manager windows firewall is blocking, QuickBooks database server manager hosting mode is off, QuickBooks database server manager is not available, QuickBooks database server manager failed to start, QuickBooks database server manager is not running on the server, QuickBooks database server manager not opening, QuickBooks database server manager won't start, QuickBooks not running 2019