QuickBooks error 12157 may pop up and attack your system due to various issues. Your performance and productivity get interrupted due to the issues caused by this error. However, you need not worry as we provide an in-depth guide that will take your troubles away.
When you run QuickBooks updates either to get new features or to run payroll, different errors might show up depending upon the error-provoking reasons. One of the several update errors you might encounter is error 12157 QuickBooks which is most commonly caused by faulty internet connection settings and Windows Firewall related issues.
There isn’t a single solution to such update errors, and you might need to implement multiple troubleshooting steps for a fix. To guide you through the hassles of troubleshooting, here’s a quick four minutes rundown on what QuickBooks error 12157 is, its most common causes, and a detailed troubleshooting method.
Are you having trouble getting rid of the annoying 12157 QuickBooks error? Leave everything else and Call the Direct Helpline Number +1- 855 738 2784 for Instant Help from professionals
What is QuickBooks Update Error 12157?
QuickBooks error code 12157 appears due to issues with the web connection in the Windows operating system. The application may fail to establish a link with Microsoft Win32 internet or WinInetAPI. API is useful for QuickBooks to run internet protocols seamlessly, including HTTP, FTP, and Gopher. Since the QuickBooks installation procedure gets interrupted, it becomes challenging for the users to enjoy the improved features of the application.
Before updating any application, the app requires downloading the update file from the internet, and failure to do so results in errors and termination of the ongoing update. This not only applies to accounting applications like QuickBooks but also affects all other Windows applications. There could be several reasons your computer is experiencing difficulties connecting to the internet.
QuickBooks update error 12157 falls under the category of the 12XXX series of errors. Below mentioned are some other variations of the 12XXX series of errors that you might encounter while updating QuickBooks Desktop.
- QuickBooks Error 12031 – This error arises while updating QuickBooks Desktop because of incorrect internet connection set up.
- QuickBooks Error 12002 – One of the common payroll update error caused when the firewall blocks QuickBooks access to the internet.
- QB Update Error 12057 – Another QuickBooks Payroll update error that arises because of outdated Payroll Tax Tables.
- QuickBooks Error 12007 – QuickBooks Desktop update error that shows up when the computer can’t connect to the internet.
- QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12029 – An error that is triggered when the SSL Certificate used by the application is invalid or expired.
What Triggers QuickBooks Desktop Error 12157?
Before directly diving into the technical troubleshooting let’s quickly look at the causes that trigger error 12157 while updating QuickBooks Desktop. Knowing the reasons can help you determine the best course of action to take.
- Windows clock is displaying the wrong date and time.
- Your internet connection is not working properly.
- Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks connection to the internet.
- Multiple copies of the same version of QuickBooks Desktop are installed on Windows.
- Third-party download manager applications are draining the capacity of internet bandwidth.
- Conflicted frameworks, registry errors in the PC, and active X series errors also contribute to QuickBooks error 12157.
- Restrictive User Account Control Settings can bring forth error 12157 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- A lack of administrative rights can restrict QB users from making changes, causing the error.
- QuickBooks components necessary for update and installation may be defective.
Signs and Symptoms of Error 12157 QuickBooks
QuickBooks error 12157 exhibits the following symptoms on arrival:
- The internet settings or firewall security flash the error message and code 12157.
- Sluggish PC performance may be another indicator of the error.
- Input commands get no response on the operating system of the PC.
- QuickBooks will let the error message with the code pop up on the screen during installation.
- The Desktop app may keep crashing.
- The system may freeze frequently.
- The update process halts.
Since these errors can cause significant problems and disruption in user performance, let’s look into the steps to rectify the issue effectively.
Recommended To Read – Fix QuickBooks Payroll Service Server Error
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 12157
Implement the following solution to fix error code 12157 QuickBooks:
First Solution: Set Correct Date and Time in System Clock
Incorrect date and time settings can cause QuickBooks error code 12157. Rectify it as follows:
- Click the clock in the system tray at the bottom right corner of your computer screen.
- Select Change Date and Time Settings…
- You can also search for Date and Time in the Control Panel to search for the date and time settings.
- Click Change date and time and enter the correct information.
- Now click Change time zone and select the correct time zone.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Try to update QuickBooks and payroll once again. If you get the same QuickBooks error 12157 then follow the next troubleshooting step.
IMPORTANT: Download manager applications like Internet Download Manager (IDM) consumes most of the capacity of your internet bandwidth that causes difficulties for other applications to access data from the internet. Make sure none of the apps like download manager are running in the background while updating QuickBooks.
Second Solution: Troubleshoot Common Internet Connection Issues
Issues in internet connectivity range from problems with the hardware to network connection. Therefore, rectify different issues with internet settings in your troubleshooting methods.
Step 1: Adjust the Incorrect Internet Settings
Alter the incorrect internet connection settings as follows:
- Launch the QuickBooks application and head to the Help menu.
- Select the option that says ‘Internet Connection Setup.’
- Next, choose the ‘Use my computer’s internet connection’ option to connect when the application accesses the internet. Choose Next after doing so.
- Now, open the Advanced Connection Settings and move to the Advanced tab.
- Choose the restore advanced settings option, hit OK, and click Done to finish the process.
Step 2: Alter the Internet Explorer’s Settings
Modify the advanced settings in internet explorer as follows:
- Open Internet Explorer after shutting off all the QuickBooks applications.
- Use Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) to ensure all the QB windows are closed.
- Now, in Internet Explorer, go to the Tools option.
- Here, tap the option that says Advanced Settings.
- Now, click the restore advanced settings option.
For detailed instructions on troubleshooting common internet connection issues follow article 12 Tips to Troubleshoot your Internet Connection.
IMPORTANT: Make sure that you have not installed the same year versions of QuickBooks Desktop on your computer as this is one of the reasons that cause errors updating QuickBooks.
Third Solution: Add QuickBooks and its Additional Processes to the Exception of the Firewall List
Follow the article Windows Firewall Instructions for instructions to enable port 80 and 443 in Windows Firewall and make sure the following files are added to the exception list:
NOTE: If you are using a different firewall other than Windows, then contact the software vendor or Support for help and detailed instructions on adding QuickBooks as an exception in the firewall settings.
Fourth Solution: Restore System Files and Settings.
Restore system settings from the last restore point as follows to fix the 12157 error:
- First, ensure that you have logged into the system as an admin.
- Choose the Start menu followed by Accessories.
- Now, go to computer tools and select the option to restore the system.
- Next, open a new window and choose to restore the system.
- Look for the restore point option and select it. Hit the Advanced system option.
- You will receive a prompt asking you to confirm your actions.
- Confirm them, restart your system, and try updating the QuickBooks application.
Fifth Solution: Disable UAC
Restrictive user account control settings lead to QuickBooks 12157 error. Follow the steps below:
- Launch the Run box using Windows and R keys.
- Type Control Panel and press the Enter key.
- Reach System and Security settings and hit the Security maintenance option.
- Choose User Accounts > Change user accounts.
- Lastly, in the User Account Control settings, hit Never Notify, then OK.
Sixth Solution: Uninstall Duplicate QuickBooks
Having multiple QuickBooks versions installed on the system can also cause errors like 12157 QuickBooks. Resolve them by uninstalling the copy as follows:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Choose the option indicating Programs and Features.
- Further, click Uninstall/ Change a program.
- From the list of currently installed programs on the system, choose the secondary QuickBooks version.
- Hit Uninstall and follow the on-screen commands.
- Finish uninstallation and reboot the system to give effect to the changes.
Read Also – Resolve QuickBooks Error 15106
Seventh Solution: Reset QuickBooks Updates
If none of the other troubleshooting solutions work, consider resetting QuickBooks updates as follows:
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon and choose the option to Run as Administrator.
- Go to the Help menu and select the option to Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, tick-mark the essentials and features of the software.
- Hit the option to Reset updates and then click on Get Updates.
- It will allow you to update your QB version without facing the annoying 12157 error.
Hopefully, with the troubleshooting info provided in this article, you can easily resolve QuickBooks error 12157. We understand that for some users, the troubleshooting might be a problem, as it is a time-consuming process and requires a lot of patients. If you are not feeling comfortable resolving the update error 12157 or simply need the help of an expert, then you can call Desktop Helpline Number +1- 855 738 2784 for better assistance.
What is the process of configuring the firewall settings to fix QuickBooks error code 12157?
Misconfigured firewall settings stop QuickBooks from updating and prompt the 12157 error. Correct it as follows:
- Go to the Start menu and locate Control Panel and press Enter.
- Access Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings.
- Choose the option to open Inbound Rules followed by the clicking the Create New Rules button.
- Select QuickBooks and then hit Next.
- Now, choose Program Path and permit access to qbw32.exe, qbupdate.exe, and qbdbmgrn.exe.
- Next, hit the option to Allow Connection and tap Next.
- Lastly, give a name to the newly created rule and hit Finish to end the process.
What are the various factors that embolden the occurrence of QuickBooks error 12157?
QuickBooks error 12157 gets emboldened/ highlighted with the following issues:
- Problems in installation.
- Data Connectivity issues.
- Errors in upgradation and updation procedures.
- Web connectivity issues to initiate the update procedure.
This list contains several other factors that let users know the occurrence of QB error 12157.
Tell the points to remember before troubleshooting error 12157.
Rectify the error 12157 after taking the backup of your company files. It will prevent you from losing any data. Do it as follows:
- Launch the QuickBooks application.
- Visit the File menu.
- Choose the Backup company option.
- Select the Create Local Backup option.
- Complete the on-screen instructions to create a backup.
Related Posts –