Keeping your Windows applications updated is an essential task to keep applications free from errors and to improve their efficiency and reliability. As like other Windows applications QuickBooks and its components also needs to be updated on a regular basis and we have noticed that most of the QuickBooks application errors arise within the update process. It happens because the QuickBooks update process requires external files to be downloaded on the Windows. One of such errors is QuickBooks Error 12029, and in this article, we will be discussing the causes of 12029 error along with the troubleshooting steps.
What Causes Error 12029 in QuickBooks Payroll Update
This error arises in the application when the user tries to update the QuickBooks Desktop application or the Payroll feature and if QuickBooks is not able to connect to the internet because of some errors and misconfigurations in the Windows system. Down below we have listed all the common mistakes that cause QuickBooks update error 12029.
- If your internet connection is, down or disconnected.
- Security applications installed on Windows interrupting the download of the update file.
- You have selected some other internet browser as your default browser other than Internet Explorer.
- If the SSL certificate used by the application is invalid or expired.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Error 12029
NOTE: before proceeding further with the error troubleshooting steps make sure, you have an active payroll subscription, and you are using Internet Explorer as your default internet browser.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity
- Open Internet Explorer and access any safe website like www.google.com.
- If you can access the website, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
- If you get an error, while accessing the website, then check your internet connection settings for any misconfigurations.
- Make sure the time and date of your computer are correct.
- Open Internet Explorer, click Tools at the top, and select Internet Options.
- Now under the Advanced tab click Reset/Restore Defaults.
- Hit Apply and then OK.
- Check if Error 12029 is resolved by updating QuickBooks Desktop app and Payroll.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Exclude QuickBooks from Firewall Settings
- Click the Start button on your Desktop and type Windows Firewall in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- click Windows Firewall from the list of programs.
- Under the Advanced settings right click the Inbound Rules and click New Rule.
- Under the Programs click Next and select This Program Path.
- Select the QuickBooks file location and click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and then click Next.
- Check if all the checkboxes are checked and hit Next.
- Type a name for this rule and click Finish.
- To set the outbound rules, repeat the same procedure of setting the Inbound rules.
- Make sure to select Outbound instead of Inbound this time.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Update Internet Connection Settings for Resolving Update Error 12029
- Open Internet Explorer and select Tools under the Internet Options.
- Now under the General tab click Delete from the list, and select Temporary Internet Files then click Delete again.
- Under the Connections tab click LAN Settings and verify that the Automatically Detect Settings checkbox is check marked.
- Proxy Servers are supposed to be blank once verified click OK.
- Click the Advanced tab and make sure SSL 2.0 & SSL 3.0 is check marked.
- Now scroll down and ensure TLS 1.2 checkbox is marked and TLS1.0 and TLS 1.1 is not marked.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Exclude QuickBooks from Third Party Security Applications
As there are numerous Antivirus, anti-spyware, and ad blockers available for users, it is not possible for us to provide you with a single method to exclude QuickBooks from every program’s blocked list. If this error is arising because of any such application, then you might need to contact the support of your security application or contact QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number (844)-888-4666 for rectifying Error 12029.
You can read our article on QuickBooks Desktop Error -6094, 0 to learn more about how to remove QuickBooks from the block lists of some common antivirus.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Install/Update QuickBooks Desktop Security Certificate
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and click Properties.
- Under the Shortcut tab click Open File Location and hit OK.
- Right-click the QuickBooks application’s .exe file and click Properties.
- Under the Digital Signatures tab select QuickBooks from the list and then hit Details.
- Now click View Certificate and under the General tab click Install Certificate.
- Under the Certificate Import Wizard window, make sure Current User is selected as the Store Location and click Next.
- Click Next and Finish.
- Click OK on the import successful window.
We hope that following the troubleshooting will help you resolve error 12029 and for the users who find the above-mentioned troubleshooting as a complicated task as it involves setting up Windows components, we have our QuickBooks experts ready for the help. If you are stuck with this error and need immediate assistance, then call our QuickBooks Payroll Helpline Number (844)-888-4666 now.