QuickBooks provides an ultimate solution for small and mid-sized business running payroll, and errors in payroll can be quite frustrating. Some payroll errors do not allow users to download the payroll updates and tax tables whereas other interrupts the payroll calculation. The error that we will discuss today in this article is QuickBooks Error 12057 that is an update error and occurs every time when a user tries to update the payroll feature of QuickBooks. If you are also struggling to get rid of QuickBooks Payroll update error 12057, then follow the article until the end for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
Reasons that Cause Error 12057 in QuickBooks
Several reasons including third-party security apps cause different payroll errors in QuickBooks. Following is the list of all known reasons that might trigger error 12057 in QuickBooks Payroll.
- QuickBooks might face difficulties connecting with the internet due to the incorrect network set up.
- Various internet connectivity issues like misconfigured Internet Explorer settings cause QuickBooks to display error 12057.
- Windows Firewall and third party antivirus apps can block QuickBooks access to the internet causing payroll update error 12057.
- Incorrect SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) Settings also triggers QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12057.
- User account does not have the proper administrative rights to install the QuickBooks payroll updates.
- Faults in QuickBooks installation also cause payroll update errors in the application.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12057
Troubleshooting Step 1: Check SSL Configuration under Internet Settings
- Press Windows + R and type Control Panel in the Run box.
- Press Enter and select Network and Internet Option.
- Click Internet Options and then select the Advanced tab.
- Scroll down and checkmark Use SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checkboxes.
- Click Apply and then hit the OK button.
- Try to update QuickBooks Payroll once again.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Set Internet Explorer as your Default Internet Browser
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Tool icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click Internet Options and navigate to the Programs tab.
- Hit the Make Default button under the Default Web Browser option.
- Hit Ok and open QuickBooks to update Payroll.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Add QuickBooks as an Exception under the Firewall Settings
For detailed instructions on how to exclude QuickBooks from being blocked by Windows and other common third-party firewall applications, follow our article on QuickBooks Desktop Error -6094, 0 (6010,2).
Troubleshooting Step 4: Run QuickBooks as an Administrator
- Open Control Panel and select User Accounts.
- Click Manage User Accounts and form the list of user names check if your account has administrative rights.
- If your account is not an admin account, then restart your computer, sign in with an account that has the administrative right to perform actions on Windows, and try to update payroll.
- You can also right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select Run as Administrator to open QuickBooks as an administrator.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl in the text box of the Run window.
- Hit OK and scroll down in the list of programs to find QuickBooks.
- Double-click QuickBooks and select the Repair option.
- After the application is repaired restart Windows and try to update Payroll once again.
For any reason, if you are still getting error 12057 while updating payroll and you have no clue what is the cause of error, then you can contact our team of Certified QuickBooks Payroll Experts at (844)-88-4666 for further help and support.