QuickBooks unexpected error stands true to its name and appears out of nowhere to infect your system. If you have encountered this issue and now don’t know what to do, take this guide as your ultimate solution to get rid of this issue.
QuickBooks users can see an error like “An unexpected problem occurred on the server during your request” this error appears when a user tries to log in to their QuickBooks online account, and it can be frustrating to get this kind of error message again and again.
However, resolving QuickBooks unexpected server error is not a complicated task if you know the correct troubleshooting method. In this article, we have listed every troubleshooting step that is needed to resolve unexpected server problems while signing in to your QuickBooks account.
Has QuickBooks unexpected server error taken a toll on your work? We offer effective solutions to get you out of this error. Call our support specialists at +1- 855 738 2784 Now to avail of professional help
QuickBooks Unexpected Error – Description
It is not usually a problem of using wrong credentials as there is a different error message that pops up when entered invalid credentials, most of the times this error message pops up when invalid URL is used for sign-in.
- Make sure the URL that you are using to sign in is
https://qbo.intuit.com/app/homepage if not change the URL and try to sign in once again most of the times this will resolve the issue.
However, there are times when even if you are on the correct sign-in page, you can still see the same error message. In that case, there is one solution to this problem that is the user can wait for some time as this problem is on the server end and usually gets resolved automatically within a few minutes. Just try to sign in as usual after a few minutes, and you will be able to log in successfully without the unexpected server response. In rare cases, if you still notice the same error message popping up on the screen, then we will suggest you contact us to get the issue resolved.
Recommended To Read – Why QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
Various Error Messages you can see when a Server Error Occur
An unexpected server error occurred while starting QuickBooks on Windows as follows:
- Unexpected error: QuickBooks has encountered an error. Start it again and try opening it. When this error appears continuously, note the C value against it.
- Unexpected error: QuickBooks is facing an error. It needs to close to solve the problem C= 342.
- QBW32: The program has conducted an illegal operation. It needs to be shut down. Contact the program vendor if the issue persists. DETAILS: QBW32 caused an invalid page fault in module APPCORE.DLL.
- An unexpected error occurred: The error is: Value cannot be null. Parameter: s.
- 1766120 Error – Status: Invalid License Key, Key got Denied.
- Error Message: Exception was thrown off the target due to invocation.
- Error 100 database server not found “08w01.”
- The Initializing configuration system has failed.
- POS symbol is making it challenging to access the application.
- Unexpected error occurred: Please start POS again. Exception from HRESULT: 0x88980406.
Reasons for the Unexpected Server Error
A server error has occurred and infected your system due to the following reasons:
- Random browser issues can trigger unexpected server errors.
- A damaged Windows admin user may cause this issue.
- If your QuickBooks company file is damaged, you are sure to face the error.
- A corrupted folder where the company file is saved can be responsible for the unexpected server response.
- Missing Windows components are also responsible for unexpected server issues.
- Improper installation of the .NET Framework can result in this issue.
- When the desktop has limited system resources, it may face unexpected server errors.
- Unmatched system requirements may also cause this issue.
- The Database Server Manager issues of the QB POS can be the factor of server errors.
- Outdated application is among the primary reason for any errors, including the QuickBooks unexpected error.
- An invalid URL used to access your account can cause this issue.
- A server down for maintenance can be highly responsible for the error.
Read Also – What is QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Unexpected Error Occurred Problem
Once the issue is resolved, and you are successfully signed in, you can continue from where you left off. If the same error message, “An unexpected problem occurred on the server during your request,” pops up while you are logged in and performing any task, there are two easy ways to get this fixed:
- Wait for a while and give it a try once again. This could be a transient problem and usually gets fixed automatically within a few moments.
- Make some changes to the task you are performing as if you are generating a report, and try to regenerate it again to display less information.
If these troubleshooting solutions do not work, implement the following troubleshooting methods to fix the QuickBooks unexpected error:
Solution 1: Erase the Browsing History
As mentioned in the causes, browser issues can sometimes lead QuickBooks unexpected server to arise. Deleting the browser history and related cookies can be a fix to this issue. Erase the cache, cookies, and browsing history as follows:
- Launch the browser you use to access QuickBooks.
- Move the cursor to the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Here, choose the option to open History.
- Click the Clear Browsing Data option.
- Tick mark all the boxes, including cached images and files, browsing history, cookies and other site data.
- Hit the Clear Data button and let the browser get cleared of these junk files.
- Now, you need to access QuickBooks and your account to see if the unexpected error persists.
Solution 2: Update the QuickBooks application
Outdated software will restrict you from accessing the improved benefits and thus cause errors. Update the QuickBooks POS version as follows:
- Alter the entitlement client folder name.
- Go to the product updates page in the application.
- Choose the current POS version you’re using.
- Finish the on-screen instructions to install the updates.
- Start the system again to check if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 3: Reinstall/ Repair the .NET Framework
Uninstall the .NET Framework as follows:
- Go to the Control Panel from the desktop or Start menu.
- Hit the Programs and Features button here.
- You’ll get an option to uninstall/ change/ repair the program.
- Select it, and then from the list of programs, choose the .NET framework.
- Click on Uninstall/ repair according to your choice.
- If you choose to uninstall, let the process finish, restart the system, and reinstall it from recognized sources.
Solution 4: Verify the System Configuration
Check your RAM requirement beforehand, as insufficient space can lead to an unexpected server error. So, do so as follows:
- Move to the Start menu.
- Hit the Computer icon.
- Select the Properties icon on the system.
- Now, check your system’s RAM. If it’s not enough, upgrade it to rectify the issue.
Solution 5: Microsoft Component Clean-Up Tool
Running the Microsoft Clean-up tool can rectify several issues with Microsoft and its components. You can correct the following with this tool:
- .NET Framework
- Visual C++
Solution 6: Create a new Windows User
Corrupt or damaged Windows users can result in QuickBooks unexpected error. Therefore, creating a new Windows user can help rectify this error causing reason:
- Type User accounts in the Start menu’s search space and press Enter.
- Select Manage User Accounts, and further click Manage other accounts.
- Now, hit the create a new account option and give it a new name.
- Now, for this user type, select Administrator.
- End with logging off the current Windows user and log in as a new user. Run the application again.
You May Also Like To Read – How to Fix QuickBooks Error PS077
Solution 7: Opening a Sample File
Opening a sample company file lets users know that no data damage exists. Do it as follows:
- Hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard while accessing the QuickBooks application.
- Wait till the No company open window appears and then release the Ctrl key. Disable the Windows compatibility mode (explained in the next step) if the error appears while launching this window.
- From the No Company Open window, users must choose “Open a sample file” and select any sample file from the list.
- When the sample file opens without showing an error, it indicates damage to the company file. When a company file is damaged, users must run the verify and Rebuild Data utility tool. Moreover, they must restore the company file from a backup file to eliminate errors.
- If the error appears while the sample file is open, you need to disable the Windows compatibility mode. Follow the next solutions for instructions on the same.
Solution 8: Switching the Windows Compatibility Mode Off
When Windows isn’t compatible with QuickBooks POS, it may cause unexpected server errors. So, rectify it as follows:
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon and select the Properties option from the list.
- Next, hit the Compatibility tab.
- Here, you need to un-tick the “Run this program in compatibility mode” check-box and choose OK.
- However, if you find that this option is already unselected, then you need to proceed with the further steps.
Disabling compatibility mode for QBW32.exe file
- Right-click QuickBooks and choose the Properties option.
- Next, go to the Shortcut tab and choose “Find Target,” which will take you to the QuickBooks installation folder.
- Now, users must select the QBW32.exe file and select Properties.
- Hit the Compatibility tab and un-check the “Run the program in compatibility mode” checkbox, and hit OK. If it’s already unchecked, press Cancel.
- Now, close Windows Explorer and close the shortcut properties Window on QuickBooks Desktop.
- End by opening the QB Desktop again and attempting to run it seamlessly.
Solution 9: Terminate the QBCF Monitor Service
Terminate QBCF Monitor Service as follows:
- Open the Task Manager window by pressing the Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys together.
- Here, move to the Details tab and select the QBCFMonitorService.exe.
- Click End Task > End Process.
- Close the task manager window and open QB again on the workstation.
Solution 10: Install QB Tool Hub
QB Tool Hub is known to fix several errors arising due to damaged company files, software issues, network connectivity problems, etc. Therefore, install it as follows:
- Download Tool Hub from an official source to prevent corruption.
- Now, go to the Downloads list (Ctrl + J) and click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Select Yes and permit the app to make modifications.
- Keep hitting Next and accept the license agreements until the installation procedure finishes.
- End by opening QB Tool Hub.
Use Quick Fix My Program
- In the QB Tool Hub, utilize the Quick Fix my Program feature.
- Open the software and go to the Program Problems tab.
- Select Quick Fix my Program and let it run.
- Reopen QB Desktop once it’s done with its task.
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- The QB Tool Hub has QB File Doctor Tool under the company file issues tab.
- Select it and let it run.
- Reopen QB Desktop after it ends. It should help with the damaged Admin user.
Solution 11: Let the Reboot.bat file run
Re-register product files like .dll and .ocx by running the reboot.bat file as follows:
- Close QuickBooks Desktop and right-click its desktop icon.
- Select Properties > Shortcut tab > Open File Location.
- Find the reboot.bat file from the list based on your Windows OS.
- Right-click the reboot.bat file and click Run as Administrator. Give the user account permissions by selecting Yes.
- You will see a black window known as the command prompt window open and a different file scrolling.
- Close it and reopen QB to check the status of the error.
These are some of the quick troubleshooting methods to resolve this type of error; give them a try by yourself as you can always contact us at +1- 855 738 2784 any time to get the issue resolved.
How to clear Safari history on Macbook to rectify the QuickBooks unexpected error?
Erase cache, cookies, and more in Safari on Macbook as follows:
- Hold Command, Alt, and E keys together on the keyboard.
- Tick all the boxes on the screen and press Clear Data to finish the procedure.
How to repair Microsoft .NET Framework to fix unexpected server error?
- Open the control panel from wherever you find it easy.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Select the option to Turn Windows features on or off.
- If the .NET Frameworks 3.5 or later option is checked, un-tick it > OK > restart the computer.
- Check these frameworks after restarting and follow the on-screen instructions.
Related Posts –
[FIX] – QBCFMonitorService Not Running On This Computer Error
Effective Ways to Eliminate QuickBooks Won’t Update Error
Learn Effective Ways to Convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Convert QuickBooks Online to Desktop in Easy Steps
QuickBooks Already Has a Company File Open Issue : What to do next?