QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 is one of the QuickBooks errors that affect various QuickBooks versions, including QuickBooks Point of Sale. QuickBooks Error Code 5 might appear while installing POS hardware, opening QuickBooks functions, or while accessing the company file in multi-user set up. Intuit has suggested multiple work around’s to cope with the error, and you will find all of them with step-by-step instructions in this article. We suggest you apply the solutions in the given sequence to avoid unnecessary efforts resolving QuickBooks Desktop error 5.
Are you Getting Error Code 5 While Running QuickBooks! Call QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number (844)-888-4666 for Troubleshooting Assistance
Reasons that Triggers Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks
- Network connection errors that cause interruptions between the company file and the workstation is one of the primary cause that triggers error code 5 in QuickBooks Desktop and POS.
- Damaged company file or network data file also cause unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks.
- Windows User account does not the have necessary rights to access the company file in Multi-User mode.
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop application not only triggers QuickBooks error 5 but also cause numerous other errors in the application.
Steps to Get Rid of QuickBooks Error Message 5
Make Sure to Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest released version before following the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
Solution 1: Recreate QuickBooks Company File User
Steps to Remove the User
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Company tab select Users.
- Select the option that says Set up Users and Roles.
- Now from under the User List, select the user and click Delete.
- Press Yes for the confirmation.
Steps to Re-Create the User
- Go to the Users and Roles page and select New.
- Enter the username for this new user.
- Type your password and confirm the action.
- Now set the roles for the user and click OK.
Solution 2: Repair Damaged Network and Company File Using File Doctor
For detailed instructions on repairing damaged network and company file follow our article How to Repair Damaged Network and Company File using QuickBooks File Doctor. QB File Doctor not only repairs damaged company file and network but it also assigns proper folder permission to the user to access the company file in multi-user hosting set up.
Solution 3: Turn-off User Account Control on Windows
- Click the Start button from the left bottom corner of your Windows Desktop.
- Select Control Panel from the list of programs at the right side panel.
- From the search bar at the top search for User Account.
- Now select User Account and then click Change User Account Control Settings.
- Click Yes and move the slider to Never Notify.
- Click OK and restart Windows.
- Try to run QuickBooks again and if you are still getting “System Error. Code: 5 Access Denied” error message then follow the next troubleshooting step.
- If the error is resolved, then make sure to turn-on the UAC on Windows to ensure the proper functioning of Windows security features.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the troubleshooting steps helps then as a final troubleshooting step, we are required to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- Double-click QuickBooks and follow the instructions displayed on the screen to completely remove the application and its features from Windows.
- Click the link and visit QuickBooks Desktop Download page.
- Select the correct product and version and then click Search.
- Now click Download and open the setup file from the downloads of your computer.
- Follow the instructions to install the application.
For any reason, if you are still struggling to get rid of the Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks, then we suggest you get in touch with us at (844)-888-4666 for help. We use advanced tools and screen sharing that helps us better recognize the root cause of the error, so that we can provide you with an instant resolution of the problem in the shortest time possible.