QuickBooks is a robust accounting software satisfying the needs of numerous businesses and freelance individuals. Among various features that QuickBooks offer one is the QuickBooks Multi-User Mode where multiple users can work on the same company file from different workstations in a network. Accessing the company file in a multi-user environment is as simple as accessing the file on the same computer, but the problem arises when QuickBooks for some reasons cannot access the company file and gives error H505. Once you encounter the error 505 in QuickBooks, it displays “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting”. If you are also getting such an error message with error code H505 then follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
What Does Error Code H505 Mean
There are several types of H series errors that arise in QuickBooks and this type of error is related to the network issues that evolve when you use QuickBooks in a network with more than one computers. Whenever QuickBooks face difficulties connecting with other computers in the network it throws an H series error on the screen. QuickBooks Error Code H505 is displayed when QuickBooks on the user’s computer is unable to connect with the other computer in the network that is hosting the company file. This error indicates that there are technical glitches in the network that is interrupting the connection between different workstations in the network.
Reasons that Trigger QuickBooks Error Code H505
- Incorrect hosting settings of the QuickBooks Desktop application on the server that is hosting the company file.
- Windows firewall or a third-party firewall is interrupting the connection between the computers in the network.
- Damaged or corrupt Network Data file (.ND) that is used by QuickBooks to establish a connection with other computers in the network.
- QuickBooks Desktop is not installed with the latest released updates.
Solution to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H505
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Help tab select About QuickBooks.
- From the Update QuickBooks window click Update Now button.
- Make sure to checkmark the New Features, Maintenance Releases and Reset Updates checkbox.
- Click the Get Update button.
- Restart QuickBooks and if prompted to Install Updates then click Yes.
- Once the updates are installed restart your computer and try to open the company file again.
Solution 2: Create a New Company File Folder
- Navigate to the company file folder on the computer that is hosting the company file.
- Create a new folder on your desktop and paste the company file into it.
- Right click the folder and select Properties.
- Under the Share tab select Advanced Sharing.
- Checkmark Share This Folder checkbox and click the Permissions
- Select the Full Control checkbox for Everyone Group and click Apply and OK.
- Click Apply and Ok once again and now try to open the company file again from the workstation.
Solution 3: Set Proper Hosting on Computers
- On your Workstation open QuickBooks and from under the File tab click Stop Hosting Multi User Configuration under the Utilities option.
- Now on your Server that has the company file open QuickBooks and select Host Multi User Configuration under the Files -> Utilities.
- Restart both the Server and the Workstation and try to open the company file again.
Solution 4: Configure the Windows Firewall Settings
- Press Windows + R and type Control Panel.
- Press Enter and search Windows Firewall.
- Click the Allow an app through Windows Firewall option.
- Click the Change Settings.
- Checkmark the box under the Public list for QuickBooks application.
- If you don’t find QuickBooks in the list then click Allow another app option and browse QuickBooks.
- Click OK and then select Public option for the application.
- Click OK and try to open the company file again on the workstation and check if you are still getting the error H505.
As the error H505 occurs because of network issues, there are possibilities that you can again get the same error or the error might not get resolved even after following all the troubleshooting steps. In such conditions, we suggest users call our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number (844)-888-4666 for help and better support.