QuickBooks is considered as one of the most trusted accounting application by small and mid-sized businesses and by individuals working as freelancers. The reason for its popularity is its amazing accounting features that ease the difficult task of managing vendors, customers, employees and filing various taxes online. It is important to update QuickBooks and its features regularly for uninterrupted operations, but sometimes while updating payroll, QuickBooks encounters errors. One such error that we are going to discuss in this article is QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15240 that interrupts the payroll update and gives the user an error message “Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully.” Follow the Complete article for detailed information.
What Cause QuickBooks Update Error 15240
Updating QuickBooks and its features requires proper internet connectivity and correct application setup. Whenever QuickBooks desktop application experience internet connectivity issues it throws different types of errors on the screen. Down below we have listed all the other reasons that cause QuickBooks to encounter payroll update errors:
- The QuickBooks Desktop application you are using is outdated.
- The account you are logged in with on Windows does not have the required administrative rights to perform certain actions on Windows.
- You are running QuickBooks Desktop application in a multi-user environment, and for the update, QuickBooks is required to be running in single-user mode.
- Windows having registry errors.
- Incomplete or corrupt installation of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Improper Internet Explorer security settings.
- Incorrect Date and Time of the system.
- Third-party firewall application is interrupting the download of the update file.
NOTE: You might get different types of error messages after getting the Update Error 15240 so make sure you recognize the error by reading the error message displayed.
“Internet connection error: unknown error”
“File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.”
If you are also getting such error messages while updating payroll then before following the troubleshooting steps make sure to verify the following points.
- Verify that the date and time displayed on your computer at the right side bottom corner of the screen is correct.
- Check if the QuickBooks Desktop application you are using is installed with the latest updates.
- On your Windows computer make sure to log in with a user account that has the administrative rights to download and install applications.
- Turn-off any firewall or antivirus application installed on Windows while you update the payroll.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15240
Solution 1: Allow Permissions for the QuickBooks Installation Folder
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop application and open Windows File Manager.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\ folder and right click the folder that is named Intuit.
- Click Properties and hit the Advanced tab.
- Check if the User Group is set to be the Owner.
- Now click the Advanced Security Settings section and click Change left to the Owners section.
- Now under the Enter the object name to select section type the names of the Users and then click Check Names.
- Click OK and then checkmark the Replace owner on sub containers and objects section.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Under the Permissions section choose the Users and then select Full Control.
- Again click Apply and then hit OK.
After applying proper permissions to the QuickBooks installation folder try again to install the updates and in case the error still persists then follow the same steps from step 1 to step 5 for the following folders.
- C : \Users\ Your User Name\ AppData\ Local\ Intuit
- (64-bit users) C: \ Program Files (x86)\ Common Files \Intuit
- C :\Program Files \Common Files\ Intuit
- C :\ ProgramData\ Intuit
Step 2: Change Internet Explorer’s Security Settings
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Tools icon at the top right corner.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Under the Security section checkmark the Use SSL 3.0 and Use SSL 2.0
- Click Apply and then hit OK.
There are possibilities that even after following all the troubleshooting steps mentioned you are still facing the same error, in such condition, we will suggest you get help from a certified QuickBooks Payroll expert and call QuickBooks Payroll Support Number (844)-888-4666 for instant support.