If your QuickBooks 2023 keeps crashing, you know how much you and your work suffers. This problem can be highly annoying and cause severe issues for the end user. However, there’s no need to stress as we provide a handy troubleshooting guide that incorporates every detail about why does QuickBooks keep crashing, including what it entails, it’s causes, signs, and troubleshooting methods.
QuickBooks accounting software offers several tools and improvements to its users to manage their finances. It helps prepare financial reports, use analytical tools, payroll tax tables, etc. This application’s user interface is excellent, leading it to establish its authority in the accounting software market. However, like all technical applications, this software also faces occasional glitches and errors interrupting a user’s work routine.
One such frustrating issue is when QuickBooks 2022 keeps crashing. A user might be working on some data or file when suddenly the app stops working, freezes, or shuts down without any warning or response. Such an issue can cause severe harm to data files, especially if they aren’t backed up. Therefore, this guide is here to help the users identify and eliminate this issue from the root so it doesn’t cause any hassle again.
Are you fed up with your QuickBooks crashing when opening? Find effective solutions to this hassle in this blog or dial ++1- 855 738 2784 to get in touch with QuickBooks specialists. Our experts will provide in-depth assistance and complete satisfaction with your problems
What is QuickBooks Keeps Crashing Error?
As the name suggests, the QuickBooks keeps crashing error causes the system to freeze, hang, and crash automatically while the user is working on the application. This issue can emerge due to several reasons like corrupted files, incomplete or damaged installation, etc. However, despite the number of reasons triggering this issue, it can become extremely challenging to fix it if the root causes are hard to locate.
Let’s keep reading this article further, so you can know how to find the probable causes of the QuickBooks Desktop keeps crashing error.
Recommended To Read – Fix QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly Issue
Root Triggers of QB Desktop Crashing Error
If you’re wondering why does my QuickBooks keep crashing, here’s an in-depth list of reasons that trigger the issue:
Problems with QBWUSER.INI File
The QBW.INI file stores initialization information to be used by QuickBooks. It determines how QB loads and behaves. When this file gets damaged or goes missing, the QB user may get the answer to “Why does QuickBooks keeps crashing.”
The hard drive where your QB files are stored can go corrupt. If they do, you may face trouble opening or using QuickBooks. This may lead you to search for troubleshooting my QuickBooks keeps crashing error.
Often, users don’t realize that their QuickBooks Desktop installation files are incomplete or improperly installed because of network issues or other interference during the installation. Moreover, damaged program files of QB can also lead the user to face the QuickBooks 2013 keeps crashing error.
Issues with Windows OS
Your Windows Operating System must be compatible with QuickBooks and working properly so that QB can behave and perform appropriately. However, errors like QB crashing can arise when the Windows OS files are damaged.
Other than damage, outdated Windows OS can also trigger the QuickBooks 2015 keeps crashing error. Therefore, users need to ensure constant updation of the Windows to eliminate QB errors.
Incompatibility between OS and QuickBooks application is also the primary reason for QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing.
If you’re using an old or outdated version of QuickBooks, you are bound to face several errors, including the one where QB keeps crashing. It is because the older the version gets, the more problems it encounters, with far lesser tools and features to resolve them.
Malware or Virus Attacks
You may encounter the QuickBooks 2021 keeps crashing error if your system has been infected by a virus or malware. These attacks can harm your company files and can lead to data loss if not corrected beforehand.
Unrecoverable QB Errors
Unrecoverable QuickBooks errors detected by the verify data utility can also bring forth the QuickBooks keeps crashing Mac error. These errors can interrupt access to various tools and features of the application, which ultimately leads to this error.
Third-party Software Interruptions
It is quite possible for the QuickBooks application and its functioning to get interrupted by third-party applications. Even antivirus software can block access, due to which QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing.
Incorrect Company File Name
Although this issue doesn’t have a higher probability of crashing QuickBooks, it still stands a chance. Usually, when the company file name is too long or has special characters that do not go according to the compatibility standards, the app may start functioning poorly and eventually crash.
QuickBooks BEX Error
If you do not know what this error is, keep reading. QuickBooks Bex error appears when the app interferes with the data execution of Windows and attempts to store more data than the memory of the storage space allows. This conflict can be a cause of the QuickBooks 2010 keeps crashing error.
Missing MS Office Components
You may become a victim of the QuickBooks 2014 keeps crashing error if the MS office components on your system are missing. These components are essential to running QB; their accidental deletion, missing, or damage can harm QB’s performance.
Directory File Problems
If the directory file goes corrupt, you will be at the receiving end of the QuickBooks 2016 keeps crashing error.
If you detect one or more of these causes on your system, it can become easy for you to implement the various troubleshooting methods we have listed further. However, if you aren’t sure that QuickBooks Desktop 2021 keeps crashing due to these issues or you don’t know how to recognize this error, keep reading for the symptoms.
Read Also – Resolve QuickBooks Won’t Open
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Crashing Error
The QuickBooks Desktop 2022 keeps crashing and leaves the following recognizable signs for users to confirm the presence of the error:
- Even after multiple attempts, opening QuickBooks becomes a hassle.
- The application running currently may stop responding and will freeze or hang with a blue loading circle spinning.
- You may experience your OS crashing suddenly.
- The most prominent symptom of QuickBooks for Mac 2012 keeps crashing error is the app shuts down automatically while working without warning.
- Repeated error messages indicating the app failure might fill your system’s screen.
- You might experience QuickBooks Crashing When Opening or closing company files.
- In some instances, QB might open but not work properly and QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing.
- There might be issues when the user attempts to send paychecks.
These symptoms are pretty scary, especially when the risk of data damage or paychecks is at its peak. Therefore, users need adequate troubleshooting for the 2014 QuickBooks keeps crashing error.
Resolution for QuickBooks Desktop Keeps Crashing Error
Let’s dive into the troubleshooting solutions and methods that users can apply to get rid of the 2014 QuickBooks keeps crashing non network error. However, before you do so, do look into the following considerations to keep your data safe and avoid QuickBooks point of sale 18 keeps crashing issue:
- Make sure you have a backup of your QB files and data.
- Keep the product information, including license number, service key, version, etc., handy.
- Check if the Windows and QB applications are up-to-date or old.
Now, let’s jump into resolving the cant open another company in QuickBooks keeps crashing error:
Solution 1: QuickBooks Tool Hub to the Rescue
The very first thing you can do when you encounter issues like Intuit QuickBooks keeps crashing on startup is to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub and use its various tools and features. Tool hub is pretty helpful in detecting and repairing several errors that you might face. Let’s first look into the steps to download and install it on the system:
Keep in mind the following before proceeding to fix the QuickBooks 2013 for mac keeps crashing error:
- Run the tool as an administrator to avoid errors.
- Always restart your system after using any of the tools mentioned below.
Downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub
- If you do not have QB Tool Hub on your system or you have an outdated version, make sure to download the latest one from an official source.
- Visit the genuine website to download the file of QB Tool Hub.
- Initiate the downloading procedure and save the QuickBooks Tool Hub file to an easy-to-access location.
- Once done, go to that folder and double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- This will initiate the installation procedure, and you will see several prompts and permission dialog boxes on the screen asking for your input for installation.
- Follow them as given and accomplish the installation by accepting the terms and conditions.
- Also, finish setting the program up on the system with appropriate user credentials, etc.
- Now you can open and utilize the Tool Hub features to look for errors causing the QuickBooks Point of Sale 18 keeps crashing error. .
Quick Fix My Program
- When you launch QuickBooks Tool Hub, move to the Program Problems section.
- Here, you will find an option indicating Quick Fix My Program.
- Select it, follow the on-screen prompts, and let the tool do its job.
- Open QuickBooks and launch your data file.
- It will run and find problems in the program and repair them so that you can access QB seamlessly and get rid of QuickBooks point of sale keeps crashing issue.
Quick Fix My File
You can locate and correct issues with your QB files as follows:
- Go to the Company File issues tab in QB Tool Hub.
- Hit the Quick Fix My File option.
- Let it run and see if it corrects the QuickBooks 2011 keeps crashing on windows 10 error.
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
Another tool in the Tool Hub is the file doctor tool that can help fix QuickBooks 2011 keeps crashing error.
- In the QB Tool Hub, locate the Company File Issues tab.
- Here, you will find this tool to help you fix problems in your company file.
- Run it and locate the company file grasped with errors or damage. It may take a minute or two to appear on the screen. If it doesn’t open, you can undertake a manual search for the QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor.
- Further, choose your company file from the drop-down menu in the QB file doctor. If the file isn’t visible, browse and search for it.
- Choose to Check your file and network. Proceed by clicking Continue.
- Enter the admin password to your QuickBooks and hit Next.
- The File doctor tool will take care of it and repair it for you to use QB hassle-free.
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
The Install Diagnostic tool will help you fix various issues that occurred during installation, leaving it incomplete or improper. Fix it as follows to resolve QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing issue:
- In the Tool Hub, visit the Installation Issues tab.
- Here, you’ll find the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, which takes around 20 minutes to run and fix the Microsoft components causing the QuickBooks Point of Sale keeps crashing error.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The database server manager rectifies several issues that are causing the QB crashing errors. Run it as follows:
- Hit the Network Issues tab in the QB Tool Hub.
- Click and run it and let it scan and resolve the errors.
See if running the QB Tool Hub benefits you and fixes the root causes of the QB crashing issues. If it doesn’t, proceed with the troubleshooting mentioned below.
Solution 2: Alter the Name of the QBWUSER.INI File
As discussed in the causes section, a QBWUSER.INI file, if damaged, can lead to the QuickBooks 2014 for mac keeps crashing error. However, you can repair the damaged file by renaming it. What happens is when you change its name, QuickBooks gets prompted to make a new QBWUSER.INI file. Therefore, the errors end with the previous versions. So, let’s see how you can proceed with this solution:
- Access the directory folder of the QB app on your system’s C Drive.
- Find a folder with the .ini extension.
- Now, right-click the files named QBWUSER.INI and hit the Rename option.
- Now add .OLD extension to the name, which will make these files look like QBWUSER.INI.OLD.
- Hit OK, and your file will be renamed.
- However, you need to know that all your rundown records, including the inventory of the last opened company files, will get erased.
- Further, you should also modify the name of the DataStore.ecml file.
- Now, reboot the system and launch it again to see if the QuickBooks 2014 keeps crashing Mac error persists.
Solution 3: Restart the System and Application
Sometimes QuickBooks 2014 keeps crashing PC because of conflicting programs or related reason that doesn’t need in-depth troubleshooting. In such cases, simply restarting your system is enough to be error-free and resolve QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing error. Therefore, take the steps to reboot as follows:
- Simply close the QuickBooks application by hitting the cross button. If it doesn’t respond instantly, give it time.
- Sometimes, even the Windows might hang, and the mouse and keyboard inputs might receive no response.
- You should still hit the power button and go to the Start menu to initiate the system shutdown procedure. Keep trying until you see the shut-down option.
- Once done, restart your system after a few minutes.
- Now, try accessing the QuickBooks application and see if QuickBooks 2014 keeps on crashing issue is fixed.
Solution 4: Change the Names of the .ND and .TLG Files
Network Descriptor and Transaction Log files are essential to run the QuickBooks application and open the company files. So, when QuickBooks 2015 keeps crashing when making general journal entry, try renaming the .ND and .TLG files.
- Locate the company file folder where .ND and .TLG files can be found.
- Once you locate these files, right-click and opt for the Rename option for them.
- Add .old to their extension, which will turn the files as follows:
- Renaming the files will create a new file that is error-free.
- You can now go back and verify if QuickBooks still encounters the QuickBooks 2017 keeps crashing error.
You May Also Like To Read – Fix QuickBooks Migration Failed Unexpectedly
Solution 5: Suppress QuickBooks Desktop
Suppressing QB can help you resolve the QuickBooks 2018 keeps crashing error. Let’s look into ways you can do so:
- Press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard.
- Now, you need to double-click the QB Desktop icon.
- Keep holding the Ctrl key until the No Company Open window appears on your screen.
After you suppress the QB Desktop, you should proceed with suppressing the company file to fix QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing issue. Do it as follows:
- From the No Company Open Window, select the desired company file.
- Now, press and keep holding the Alt key and proceed with clicking the Open button.
- If a dialog box asking for your username and password appears, release the Alt key and enter this information.
- Now, press and hold the Alt key until you notice the company file opening fully.
Now, check if the QuickBooks 2019 keeps crashing error remains.
Solution 6: Run Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
If your QB keeps crashing periodically, meaning it is functional for a while and then crashes suddenly, run the verify and rebuild utilities from QuickBooks to identify and fix the QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing error. You can do so as follows:
- Visit the QB Desktop app.
- Go to the File menu.
- Select the Utilities option.
- Choose the Verify Data option.
- Let it run and detect errors in the app.
- After it finishes running, go to File > Utilities again.
- Now, run the Rebuild Data utility tool.
- The rebuild utility will resolve all these issues causing QuickBooks 2020 keeps crashing errors.
Solution 7: Copy Company Files to the Desktop
Undertaking this method will help you know whether the error lies in the company file or the program. So, implement it as follows and fix the QuickBooks database file manager keeps crashing error:
- Right-click on the Desktop screen and choose to create a New > Folder.
- Now, visit the current location of your company files.
- Now, copy the company files.
- Go back to the new folder and click Paste.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key until you see the No Company Open window appears on the screen.
- Choose the option to Open or Restore an Existing Company from the drop-down menu.
- Hit the Next tab after the company file opens.
- Now go back to the new folder company file to open it.
The crucial things to note here are as follows:
- An issue with the folder hosting your company file arises if, apart from the sample file, you can also open the company file.
- However, if the sample file opens, but the company file causes the QuickBooks database server manager keeps crashing error, copying it to a new folder can determine whether the issue was with the company file or something else.
- If the QB sample file shows errors while opening, you need to repair the installation of QB Desktop.
Solution 8: Repair the QuickBooks Desktop
Fix your QB Desktop from the Control Panel to resolve the installation issues. It will help prevent QuickBooks Desktop accountant 2018 keeps crashing errors.
- Go to the Control Panel from the Desktop, Start menu, or Run Window (Windows + R keys), whichever is easy.
- After this window opens, go to the Programs and Features tab.
- Here, you will find an option to uninstall/ change the applications.
- Opt for QuickBooks Desktop from the list of currently installed programs on the system and choose Uninstall/ Change.
- Further, hit the Repair option and let it fix the QuickBooks desktop accountant keeps crashing issue.
- Tap the Finish tab when the repair ends and restart your system.
Solution 9: Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop
Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop after running the clean install tool to repair the installation issues and let things go smoothly. It will help rectify the QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020 keeps crashing issue.
Uninstalling QB Desktop
- Visit the Control Panel on your system.
- Hit the Programs and Features tab.
- Choose QuickBooks Desktop from the applications list currently installed on the system.
- Opt for the Uninstall/ Modify option.
- Select the Uninstall > OK option.
- Let the procedure go smoothly.
Download Clean Install Tool
- Download the clean install tool from official sources.
- Install this file by following the instructions on the screen.
- Now, let it run and fix every issue including QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing problem.
Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Now, go to the official Intuit website to download the QuickBooks installation file.
- After it downloads to an easy-to-find location, go to that folder.
- Click the QuickBooks.exe file and initiate its installation.
- Follow all the prompts that you see on your system’s screen.
- Now, it’s time to set it up by entering the license information, service keys, and other essential information.
- Agree to all the terms and conditions and ensure QB Desktop opens.
- Check if QuickBooks Crashes while Reconciling Accounts.
Solution 10: Disable the Antivirus Software
When third-party applications like antivirus software restrict QuickBooks and cause it to crash, disabling it is a good solution. Some updates or patch releases of QuickBooks get treated as malware by the anti-virus applications. They, in turn, get deleted before getting applied. Therefore, go to Settings and choose to disable the antivirus software.
Recommended To Read – Fix QBDBMgrN Not Running on This Computer Issue
Solution 11: Turn the Windows Firewall Off
Windows Firewall can restrict users from accessing QuickBooks completely and can trigger QuickBooks 2023 Keeps Crashing error. Disable it successfully as follows:
- Go to the Windows search bar from the Start menu or Task Manager.
- Search for Windows Firewall and click OK.
- Next, you need to go to Settings.
- At the left side pane, click the option to Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- From here, you need to click the Disable option for both public and private networks.
- Agree to this selection and restart your system. Now, attempt to run QB again and see if it crashes.
However, you should enable your firewall settings once QuickBooks launches without crashing. It can be dangerous to run your system without protection from malware.
Solution 12: Run SFC and DISM Scans
SFC, aka System File Checker, scans and removes the errors in the system. On the other hand, DISM or Deployment Image Servicing and Management can optimize images and remove errors there. Run it as follows:
- Begin by going to the Start menu and typing cmd to launch the Command Prompt.
- Run this as an administrator by right-clicking this icon to have full control.
- Once the command prompt window opens, type SFC/Scannow after C:\windows\system32>
- Let the scan finish, and then go back to check if QuickBooks is crashing or running uninterrupted.
If it doesn’t run, you need to run the below-mentioned commands:
- Launch the Command Prompt window as an administrator.
- You need to let the following commands run one by one only after the first one finishes completely:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
After following these commands properly, restart your system and check that QuickBooks keeps crashing error is resolved.
Solution 13: Clean Boot in Selective Startup Mode
The selective startup mode eliminates all the interferences by third-party apps. Rectify it as follows:
- Get to the Run window by pressing the Windows and R keys together.
- In the search space, you need to type Msconfig in the field.
- Now that you get to the General tab choose the Selective Startup and Load System Services options.
Further, go to the Services tab.
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services option.
- Hit the Disable all option. Head to the Startup tab and open the task Manager.
- A new window with all the startup applications will open.
- You need to move and end the processes of all the applications that you are not using currently.
- After disabling, press OK and Apply the configuration.
- Reboot the system and see if the error persists.
Further, in the same selective startup mode, you can undertake reinstallation of the QuickBooks Desktop. The steps for uninstalling and reinstalling remain the same as mentioned in the clean install QuickBooks method. However, once QuickBooks gets installed and is up and running, you need to switch back to the normal mode. The steps for it are as follows.
Switching to Normal Mode
- Launch the Run window and type the command Msconfig and press Enter.
- Once the window appears, switch to Normal mode under the General tab.
- Restart your system to implement this change.
Solution 14: Restore the Backup of your Company File
Take the following steps to restore a previous backup of the company file to get rid of any errors in QB:
- In the QuickBooks Desktop, go to the File menu.
- Choose the option to Open or Restore Company.
- Opt for Restore a backup copy option and choose Next.
- Select Local Backup and then hit Next.
- Find the location of the company file from the look-in drop-down menu.
- Choose the backup file from the folder with the file name emerging as company_name.qbb.
- Hit Open and then Next.
- Select the location to save the restored file from the save in drop-down.
- Type a new file name in the file name field. Hit Save. (The Save as type field will populate the QB file as *.QBW
- Before saving, ensure to respond to all the messages appearing before restoration accordingly.
We hope that this detailed guide on QuickBooks 2023 keeps crashing error will help you eliminate this issue effectively. This error might emerge due to various reasons mentioned above. But if you follow the troubleshooting steps and methods properly, it will help rectify the error. However, in case you still feel stuck and need help from experts, our QB specialists are available at TFN for immediate assistance.
How to fix the QuickBooks keep crashing error in Mac OS?
If you’re suffering from QuickBooks keep crashing error while using Mac OS, implement the following methods to fix the issue:
- Restart the operating system.
- Undertake manual app updates.
- Check QB’s compatibility with Mac.
- Delete the preference file from the Mac.
Why do QuickBooks keep freezing and crashing?
QuickBooks can freeze or cash due to the following reasons:
- Many programs might be open and running on the system.
- The drivers might have gone corrupt or become outdated.
- Overheating the system can lead to this issue.
- Insufficient RAM memory can also prompt it to freeze.
- Virus attacks can trigger QB to freeze or crash.
- Corrupted or missing files can lead to this error.
- Software damage can also result in QB freezing and crashing.
Related Posts –
QuickBooks File Repair With Verify Solutions Like A Pro
Troubleshooting Steps to Tackle QuickBooks Error 179
Quick Ways to Get Rid of QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
Learn Effective Ways to Convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online
Convert QuickBooks Online to Desktop in Easy Steps