QuickBooks is a bookkeeping software that is specially designed for small and medium-sized businesses to get rid of the extra efforts of managing accounts and finances. You can install QuickBooks on Windows and Mac operating systems if proper resources are available. In case if the operating system components are damaged or there is an issue with the resources QuickBooks installation may encounter errors. One such error that we are going to discuss in this article is QuickBooks error 1304. The error appears while installing QuickBooks Desktop on Windows computers using a CD. For detailed troubleshooting instructions, follow the complete article.
What is QuickBooks Error 1304?
Error 1304 is a Windows error message that not only affects QuickBooks but can also appear in a number of different Windows applications. QuickBooks error 1304 not only pops up while installing the Desktop app it can even hit the application during the update process. The error displays an error message “Error writing to file [THBImg45.dll]. Verify that you have access to that directory.” you can notice a different file name in the error if the error is caused by a some other file.
Error 1304 in QuickBooks mostly occurs because of the issues with the installation CD that contains the QuickBooks setup file, other reasons that might cause QuickBooks writing to file error 1304 are mentioned below in details.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 1304
- QB installer is unable to read the installation files from the CD that you are using for the installation.
- The QuickBooks installation disk is damaged.
- Microsoft .NET Framework is corrupt/damaged or outdated.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error 1304
Step 1: Install QuickBooks from your computer’s local storage
- Put the CD inside the CD ROM of your computer.
- Hit Quit if the installation is automatically started.
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop in the blank space, hover your mouse cursor at New section, and select Folder.
- Enter QuickBooks as the name of the folder.
- Now open Windows File Explorer and double-click the CD drive.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all the files and then press Ctrl + C to copy.
- Navigate back to the QuickBooks folder that you have created on the desktop and press Ctrl + V to paste the copied files.
- After all the files are copied to the new folder, double click the setup.exe file to start the installation.
- If you are still getting QuickBooks error 1304, then follow the next troubleshooting step for resolution.
Step 2: Share CD-ROM from a different computer in the network
- Insert the QuickBooks installation CD into a different computer in the network.
- If installation begins automatically, click Quit on the installation window.
- Open Windows File Manager, right click the CD-ROM and select Sharing and Security.
- Checkmark the Share this Folder checkbox.
- Hit Apply and then OK.
- Right click the My Computer icon, select Computer Name and hit Full Computer Name.
- Press Windows + R key on the computer where you want to install QuickBooks.
- Type \\(name of the computer having the QuickBooks CD).
- Hit Enter and double click the letter of the drive that has the CD.
- Now double click the setup file to start the installation.
Step 3: Repair/Reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework
- Follow troubleshooting step 3 Repair Microsoft .NET Framework on Windows from our article on QuickBooks Error 61 for complete instructions on repairing .NET Framework.
Troubleshooting QuickBooks error 1304 requires extensive knowledge of Windows and its components, in case if you are not much familiar with Windows operating system then you can contact us at our QuickBooks Customer Support Number (844)-888-4666 for help and support. Our team of QuickBooks Desktop experts is available 24/7 to provide uninterrupted support to QuickBooks users, so don’t wait and give us a call today for a quick solution.