Most of the QuickBooks Desktop errors are caused by improper setup of the application on the Windows operating system, whereas error 61 occurs when windows framework or registry has some issues. Error 61 in QuickBooks can appear at any step of the operations like while updating, repairing, installing the app and even while sending or receiving data from QuickBooks. Error code 61 also affects other software like Microsoft Office and Mac applications when the hardware of the system is malfunctioned. This article will guide you through each step of troubleshooting QuickBooks Error 61. Follow the complete article for detailed information.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 61
Error 61 is one of the errors that is caused by various reasons including glitches in Microsoft components. Down below we have listed all the reasons that cause QuickBooks Desktop Error 61.
- A problem with Microsoft .Net Framework.
- Windows registry having undeleted registries from the last installation.
- Error 61 could be a result of an infection on Windows.
- Unexpected system shutdown.
- Accidentally deleting QuickBooks installation files can also cause error 61 to appear.
Important Steps to Consider before Troubleshooting Error 61
- Make sure to update QuickBooks Desktop application to the latest version.
- Install and scan your computer for any infections using an antivirus.
- Install a registry cleaner application to fix windows registry issues.
Steps to Repair Error 61 in QuickBooks Desktop
Troubleshooting Step 1: Use QuickBooks Rebuild Data Utility
For instructions on how to use QuickBooks Rebuild Data Utility, follow the steps mentioned in our article on QuickBooks Crash Catcher Error.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Restore QuickBooks Company File
- Under the File tab, click Open or Restore Company.
- Click Open a Company File and hit Next.
- Locate the backup company file on your computer and click Open.
- Follow the on screen instructions.
- Take note of the information on Update Company File for New Version.
- Hit Update Now and follow the on screen instructions for taking the backup.
- Now hit Yes and after the file is updated, save the backup file at a safe location.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Repair Microsoft .Net Framework on Windows
- Exit all running applications from Windows.
- Click the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Under the Uninstall a Program sections click Turn Windows Features on or off.
- Check mark the box beside .NET Framework 3.5.
- If already selected then first unmark the box and then check mark it again.
- Once Windows ask for confirmation to reboot the computer click Yes.
- After the computer reboots open QuickBooks again.
Users have reported facing the same error 61 even after following all the troubleshooting steps, and this happens because of some less common error provoking reasons. If you are also one of the users facing Error 61 in QuickBooks, then you can connect with our QuickBooks technical troubleshooting team at our QuickBooks Error Support Number (844)-888-4666.