If you are facing issues updating, repairing, installing, or uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop application, then you might have encountered QuickBooks error 1328. As there are several reasons that trigger this error in the application, this is one of the most common errors encountered by the users in QuickBooks. However, troubleshooting this error in QuickBooks is not a tedious task if you know the correct troubleshooting technique. In our article along with the troubleshooting, we have also mentioned various reasons that cause this error in the application.
What Triggers QuickBooks Desktop Update Error 1328
It might be frustrating to face this error, as the error does not provide users with any clear description of what exactly happened. The user only gets an error message window with a description “Error 1328.Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PT62C7.tmp. System error-1072807676” on the screen with options to Abort, Retry and Ignore and the error message window pops up again when any given option is selected. The screenshot of the error is given below:
You can notice a different file name in the description of this error as it shows the file name that is causing the error in the application. QuickBooks encounters 1328 error in the following scenarios:
- First and the primary reason for getting 1328 update error is using a license number that is not compatible with the version of QuickBooks you are installing on Windows.
- In case if some of the important Windows system files are infected with viruses and malwares.
- If the software setup files you are using for the installation is not downloaded completely or is corrupt.
- Sudden system failure or if Windows is not shut down properly.
Troubleshooting Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Error 1328:
Troubleshooting Step 1: Perform Windows Update
Updating your Windows to the latest update available will also update Windows components that QuickBooks require to function correctly like MSXML, Microsoft .Net Framework, and C++.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and in the Search Programs and Files search box type Windows Update.
- Click Windows Update icon at the top of the list.
- Click Check for Updates and once the Windows has finished downloading the updates, click Install Updates.
- Restart your computer and try installing or updating QuickBooks to see if the error is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Rename Hidden System File Config.msi
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and click Computer from the left side of the programs list.
- From the left side panel click Local Disk (C:).
- Click Organize from the top and select Folder and Search Options.
- Under the View tab, unmark the Hide Protected Operating System Files
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Now in the search bar located at the top right of the window type and search for Config.msi file.
- Right-click Config.msi file and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name, e.g. (Config.msi.OLD).
- Restart your Windows and try to use QuickBooks once again to verify QuickBooks Error 1328 is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Download and Use QB Install Diagnostic Tool
Utilizing QB Install Tool will automatically resolve any issues with Windows components like MSMXL, .Net Framework and C++ that causes this 1328-update error in QuickBooks.
- Click the link and download QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Once the download is completed, exit other applications are running on Windows.
- Click the setup file from the Downloads of your computer.
- Click Yes on the EULA Agreement
- Click Proceed on the QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool window.
- Wait until the tool updates all the Microsoft components, once the update is completed, Restart your Windows and try using QuickBooks once again.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Rename the Folders where QB is Installed
If any corrupt file or folder in the QuickBooks installation directory causes this error, then renaming the folder will prevent QuickBooks to use that particular folder and files in it. QB will then create new folders and files for use that will eventually resolve QuickBooks Desktop Error 1328.
- Follow the steps mentioned in this article to Display Hidden QuickBooks Files.
- Now from Windows file explorer navigate to the location where QuickBooks folders are located on your C drive.
- Right-click every QuickBooks folder and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the folder name and try using QuickBooks Desktop application.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows
If none of the troubleshooting works for you then reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop app will resolve QuickBooks Update Error 1328. Follow the steps below to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks:
- Press the Windows + R key together on your keyboard to open the Run Window.
- Enter the command Control Panel in the search bar of the Run Window.
- Now under Programs and Features list look for QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Download QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from Here.
- Open QuickBooks Clean Install Tool and click I Accept on the license agreement page.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks on your Desktop.
Sometimes you might face issues following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article, as you might need to make changes to the Windows settings, in such situations we suggest you call QuickBooks Desktop Technical Helpline Number (844)-888-4666 for quick assistance from expert QuickBooks Desktop support representatives.