Often times QuickBooks, users are hit with a problem where QuickBooks app quits unexpectedly, and an error message appears “QuickBooks has stopped working”. This is a Windows generated error message that also displays “A problem caused the program to stop working correctly or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem”. When the user retries to open QuickBooks after the application quits itself the same error message appears again and sometimes QuickBooks doesn’t throw any error message and starts freezing on Windows. If you are also facing such an error where your QuickBooks is not responding or has stopped working then follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting instructions.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error
As this type of error can also affect QuickBooks without giving any error message so, it is important to know the signs of the error so that it can be resolved quickly. Down below we have listed every symptom that points out at QuickBooks has stopped working or QuickBooks is not opening error.
- Seconds after opening the QuickBooks Desktop, it starts freezing.
- Mouse pointer and keyboard starts lagging.
- QuickBooks quits all at once when you open the company file.
- QuickBooks stops even before loading the dashboard.
- Other Windows applications also respond slow and experiences freezing issues.
What Gives Rise to QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Problem
Whenever you get QuickBooks has stopped working, or QuickBooks is not opening error it is typically due to one of the following reasons:
- Windows operating system files are damaged.
- There are damaged or corrupt sectors on your hard disk.
- QB Desktop installation files are damaged.
- QuickBooks is not correctly installed on Windows.
- QBWUSER.INI file is missing from Windows, or is damaged.
- The company file name has more characters than allowed by QuickBooks.
IMPORTANT: There is another type of QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error that displays Problem Event Name as BEX and is known as QuickBooks BEX Error. If you are getting any error that displays “Windows can check online for a solution to the problem” then click the Show problem details option and check if the error is a BEX error and if yes then follow our article Fix QuickBooks BEX Error for complete troubleshooting info.
Points to Consider Before Troubleshooting QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error
- Make sure you have installed the latest available updates of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- The company file name must be less than 35 characters including spaces.
- Turn off the antivirus protection on your computer before running QuickBooks, and if this resolves your issue, then you need to exclude QuickBooks from your antivirus scan list.
- Make sure to log in with an account that has the administrative rights on Windows.
- Try to Reinstall QuickBooks using Clean Install Tool (Follow Step 5 from the article). If the problem persists and you are still not able to open QuickBooks then follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error
Follow the troubleshooting steps in the given order, it might be possible that the first step will resolve the error or you might have to follow all of them to get rid of QuickBooks has stopped working issue.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Click the link and download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Choose Desktop to save the file.
- Before running the QB Install Diagnostic Tool, close every running application on Windows.
- Double-click the setup file from the desktop and follow to instructions to start the diagnosis.
- Depending on the performance of your computer, it might take up to 25 minutes to repair the damage in the installation.
- Once the tool finishes fixing the installation errors, restart your Windows and try to open QuickBooks once again. If you find QuickBooks is still not responding then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Scan and Repair Bad Sectors on Hard-Disk
- Open Windows File Manager and right click the C drive.
- Select Properties and under the Tools tab click Check now.
- Checkmark Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors options.
- Click Start and wait until Windows complete the scan and repair process.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Edit QBWUSER.INI File Name
- Open Windows File Manager and navigate to \Users\User Name \AppData\Local\ Intuit\QuickBooks and find QBWUSER.INI file.
- If you don’t see the file, then click Folder and Search Options under the Organize tab at the top left corner of the Window.
- Under the View tab checkmark Show hidden files, folders, or drives option.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Now right-click the file and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the end of the file name for example (QBWUSER.INI.OLD).
- Open QuickBooks and check if the QuickBooks has stopped working error is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Reinstall Windows Operating System
Before reinstalling Windows make sure to backup your company file, as reinstalling Windows will completely remove QuickBooks and Company file data from the computer. You can ask your local IT administrator to install a fresh Windows on the computer or get in touch with us for support.
Hope this article will help you resolve QuickBooks is not responding error but in case the troubleshooting didn’t help, and you are still struggling to get rid of QuickBooks has stopped working error then we might need to perform advanced troubleshooting on your Windows computer. You can contact us at our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Number (844)-888-4666, and one of our QuickBooks experts will immediately take care of the issue for you.
Related Search Terms: QuickBooks not opening, QuickBooks has stopped working, QuickBooks windows app not working, QuickBooks not responding when opening company file, QuickBooks has stopped working 2018, QuickBooks 2017 has stopped working windows 10, QuickBooks pos freezes, How to unfreeze QuickBooks, What to do when QuickBooks freezes, QuickBooks 2017 takes forever to open, Why does my QuickBooks not open, Application freezes while attempting to open company file, QuickBooks not responding when opening, QuickBooks Desktop Does Not Start, QuickBooks Pro 2010 will not open after download of Windows 10, QuickBooks Desktop is unresponsive, QBs won't open, QuickBooks payroll has stopped working, QuickBooks crashes on startup, QB closes with no error, Unable to launch QuickBooks Pro, Quick books has stopped working error message, QuickBooks closes after login, QuickBooks starts to open then closes, QuickBooks not responding windows 7, QuickBooks has stopped working windows 7, QuickBooks freezes, QuickBooks freezes when creating invoice, QuickBooks freezes when paying bill, QuickBooks freezes when printing, QuickBooks freezes when opening company file, Cant open QuickBooks on Mac, My computer freezes up when I open QuickBooks, QB2018 payroll freezes