QuickBooks error 404 might show up in the application while using bank feeds, updating QuickBooks or while accessing any service that you have not subscribed for like GoPayment, there are many other instances where you might encounter error 404 in QuickBooks. For most of the instances, Windows firewall or security software causes this error by obstructing QuickBooks connection with the internet, but there are also some other lesser known reasons responsible for triggering 404 error in the application. In this article, we will discuss the causes that provoke this error and the troubleshooting steps for error removal.
What Triggers Error 404 in QuickBooks
As we have described earlier Windows firewall or antivirus applications is one of the most common reasons for QuickBooks to show you error message 404 cannot open page. Down below we have listed all the other reasons responsible for triggering QuickBooks error 404.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop app is installed with errors.
- Windows have registry errors.
- Windows or QuickBooks files are infected with virus or malware.
- If you are not having a proper internet connection.
- Some of the files required by QuickBooks to work are missing or deleted.
Troubleshooting Steps for QuickBooks Update Error 404
Step 1: Verify Internet Connection Settings
- Open Internet Explorer and visit www.google.com to check if you are getting a proper internet connection.
- If the website is not reachable, then check your internet connection settings for any issues.
- If you can access other websites, then open QuickBooks application and under the Help tab click Internet Connection Setup.
- Now under the Internet connection settings select Use my Computer’s Internet Connection Settings option.
- Click Next and then Done.
Step 2: Check your Firewall and Antivirus Settings
- Click the Start button on your desktop and type Firewall in the search box.
- Click Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
- Check your Firewall settings if it has blocked QuickBooks services from accessing the Internet Connection.
- Remove any QuickBooks service that is blocked.
- If this doesn’t help then open your antivirus application’s firewall and exclude any QuickBooks service from the blocked list.
NOTE: For detailed info on removing QuickBooks from the blocked list of your antivirus, you might need to contact your antivirus support.
Step 3: Scan Windows for any Infections
- For this troubleshooting step, you will need an antivirus application installed on your Windows system.
- If you already have an antivirus installed then scan your computer for infection removal or download and install a virus and malware removal tool.
Step 4: Repair and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop app for removing Error 404
- Repairing QuickBooks will resolve any application error that will result in removing the 404-error message from QuickBooks if repairing does not help then you need to reinstall the app using the Clean Install Tool. Follow troubleshooting step 4 from the article QuickBooks Desktop Error 80029c4a for repairing QuickBooks.
- Follow the troubleshooting step 5 from our article on How to Resolve Error 1328 for reinstalling QuickBooks.
NOTE: If you are getting error #404 for the Service Messages option under Update QuickBooks window then it is normal and should not be considered as an error.
Most of the times following these troubleshooting steps will resolve your issue, but some users have reported facing the same error even after the troubleshooting if you are also stuck with QuickBooks error 404 message then connect with one of our QuickBooks Desktop Troubleshooting Expert for help at (844)-888-4666.