When upgrading to a newer version of QuickBooks, you are provided with enhanced features and bug fixes that might have affected the older versions. Upgrading the software ultimately asks for updating the company file as well and QuickBooks has the functionality to do it automatically when you open the older company file into the newer and updated versions of QuickBooks Desktop. With this blog, we will explain company file compatibility between QuickBooks Versions, which will help you avoid issues during QuickBooks company file upgrade.
To avail help regarding Company File Compatibility between QuickBooks Versions or any issue during the process, dial 1.855.738.2784. The support team will answer all your queries and, if needed, perform the company file upgrade for you
Can Newer Versions of QuickBooks Open Older Versions? Points to Consider before you Upgrade:
- To update your QuickBooks company file, make sure to log in as an admin in QuickBooks. This is particularly important while accessing QuickBooks in multi-user mode where you must define users and roles.
- You must avoid updating your company file over a network. In case you have to update the company file from a different system, move the company file there, and once it is updated, move it to the original system.
- Once your company file has been updated, it is not possible to open the QuickBooks company file in the older QB version. The only method you can employ is restoring the backup of QuickBooks Data in the older version of QuickBooks.
Limitations that come with Company File when Upgrading to another Product, Version, or Edition
What to know when Upgrading to a New QuickBooks Product?
- You can open the QuickBooks Premier Company file in QuickBooks Pro without modifying the data in the company file. Vice-versa also remains true.
- Upgrading the Pro and Premier Company file to QuickBooks Enterprise solutions is possible without hassle, but the QuickBooks Enterprise company file cannot be opened in Pro and Premier.
Company file Compatibility between QuickBooks Versions
- Opening a company file of one region into another is not possible. For instance, the company file created in a US version won’t be compatible when you change to QuickBooks Canada.
- You can upgrade the older version of the company file to a newer version. However, after the upgrade you cannot reverse this action and you can only open the file in the same version of QuickBooks. The exception here lies with QuickBooks Desktop Accountant and working with Accountant’s Copy.
- QuickBooks generally asks if you want to upgrade your company file when you open it in a newer version. When the upgrade is just a single version ahead, a new version will update and convert an older company file. If the company file won’t upgrade, then try to upgrade to an intermediate version first.
What happens to QuickBooks Company File while Changing Editions?
Company file created in one edition (Retail, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Accountant, etc.) is accessible with any other QuickBooks edition without affecting the data of the company file.
Quick Reminders Regarding QuickBooks Company File Compatibility
- It is important to create a different folder such as pre-conversion Backup to avoid overwriting the files.
- When you need to move the company file between different locations and systems, each computer must have the same QuickBooks version and release.
- In case the new version of QuickBooks Desktop is installed on top of the old version, reinstall the old version in a different folder. Later, restore the pre-conversion or old backup on the reinstalled old version.
Have some queries related to company file compatibility between QuickBooks version? Get answered by dialing 1.855.738.2784. Our support team will resolve your issue with our hassle-free assistance.
After updating the company file, it is NOT possible to open the company file in older versions of QuickBooks. If you need to use your previous QuickBooks version, then you need to manually enter the transactions from the new file to the old one.
As per Intuit®, you cannot downgrade QuickBooks Files. But if a situation arises where you need to save a QuickBooks File as an older version, contact support.