QuickBooks application is a versatile software that is liked by accountants/business owners all over the world, but just like most software, it is prone to errors. The common error that multiple users report is QuickBooks Error 186 or commonly referred to as the banking error. Due to the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 168, QB Online cannot find your account when signing into your bank’s site. Eventually, you won’t be able to see your results on the site, usually depicting a deleted account. What can be causing this error? Is it an issue from the bank’s site or QuickBooks? We are going to answer all these questions through this article. For the rest, you continue browsing through different sections of this article and fix QuickBooks Error 186 manually.
If you are short of time and want a quick way out, you can also call on toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784 and reach out for expert help for the same
What are the Prominent Reasons for the Occurrence of QuickBooks Banking Error 168?
- Your financial institution, i.e., the bank, must have closed your account.
- The login details you are entering to access the bank’s website are incorrect.
- Another reason for QuickBooks Error 168 is an error with the bank server.
Real Also – QuickBooks Error OL-221
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Online Banking Error
QuickBooks Error 168 appears while uploading the bank transactions into QuickBooks Online, and with the methods below, you can solve the QBO banking errors.
Method 1: Update Bank Account Manually
- Go to QuickBooks Online, and from the navigational panel towards the left, choose the Banking option.
- You will need uncheck the accounts that you do not wish to update at the moment. The Blue sign indicates the selected accounts, while the grey ones are for the unselected ones.
- Once the above steps are done, click on the Update button.
- A prompt appears where you need to fill in the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Number.
- The update process starts, and you will get notified once it is completed.
Wondering How to Know if the Methods Worked?
Observe the last update’s date plus the total number of transactions. If they are modified to the latest one, the issue is resolved. Else move ahead to the next solution.
Points to be noted during the Manual update process to fix QuickBooks Error 168
- Certain banks and credit card companies allow the transactions to be downloaded only after a day or the following day. Therefore, you can wait for one day and then go for the manual update process.
- As a result, some transactions are available online on the bank website but will only be downloaded once posted by the bank.
- In case of missing transactions, we recommend waiting for about 24 hours before contacting us on the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784.
Recommended To Read – QuickBooks Error 185
Method 2: Check if the URL Provided by the Bank for Online Banking can be of any aid in Logging in to the Bank’s Website
The instructions given below should be followed attentively to check if the URL provided by the bank for online banking can be of any aid in logging in to the bank’s website.
- Go to QBO and press the Banking option. The option can be found in the navigational panel on the left of the screen.
- From the top-right corner of the screen, click on Add account.
- Use the list provided to look for your financial institution and click on its URL from the top of the window.
- A new window will appear where you must double-check all the functions and their performance.
- Next, you need to verify the website, and for that, look at the account summary, account details, and account history section.
- If the above details are displayed without an inconvenience, then the Bank website URL is working fine.
Note: The above solution is important because, as a QB user, you must know that a connection to the bank is supported by QuickBooks only if you can log in to your bank account through the above link.
Method 3: Look for any Modifications in the Security Features Created by the Bank causing QB Error 168
This solution will only work if you are able to access your bank account. Once you have logged in, check for any messages, notifications, or alerts from the bank that may point out any modifications in its security features. Those changes can be causing QBO Banking errors.
For instance: There can be a notification that asks you to update the bank login password due to security reasons, or with the introduction of a new security feature, certain steps are to be followed from your end.
Staying updated with such changes can help avoid QuickBooks Error 168.
Method 4: Solving QuickBooks Error 168 for U.S. Customers with Well Fargo
Wells Fargo users in the U.S. may face QuickBooks Error 168 or similar banking errors when trying to connect to their personal account or business account. The reason behind this is the method used by Well Fargo to provide QuickBooks with customer details. To recover the lost account and eventually connect it to QuickBooks Online, the steps to be followed are listed below:
- Open your default browser and access Wells Fargo internet banking.
- Go to Account Summary, and from the drop-down, select your business account.
- Hit the Go option.
- Click on “Set as Default View” option.
- Next, log in to QuickBooks Online.
- Following this, set up the connection in Well Fargo online banking.
Remember that you cannot find personal and business accounts as the default view simultaneously. Therefore, you need to switch the accounts on their site.
You May Also Like To Read – QuickBooks Error 101
With this, our carefully drafted article on QuickBooks Error 168 comes to an end. Hopefully, you were able to find a way out of this banking error with the help of this article. In case of doubt or persisting issues with QuickBooks Online, you should our support team on call. Dial the toll-free number +1- 855 738 2784 and they can securely take the matters from there.
Related Posts –