QuickBooks is the first and foremost choice of small and midsized businesses to deal with payroll chores. QuickBooks Payroll as like other computer applications also requires regular updates for smooth operations as updating the app removes bugs and glitches from the app. A common error that several users encounter while updating payroll is QuickBooks Payroll update error 15270 that appears on the screen with an error message “[Error 15270] the payroll update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a file”. With this article, we will help you get rid of update error code 15270 in QuickBooks.
What Causes “The Update File is Missing Error 15270”?
A number of reasons affect QuickBooks payroll update. Check out the list of reasons mentioned below and try to figure out what reason might have caused 15270-error message to pop up in your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Your internet connection got interrupted within the update process.
- The updates you are trying to download and install are not compatible with the Windows version you are using.
- Other than, the update process some of the other QB processes are also running in the background of the computer.
- In case if, your computer is infected with a virus or other types of infections.
- If QuickBooks Desktop application is not completely installed or installed with errors.
- Inactive or expired payroll subscription can also cause update error code 15270.
- You have entered an incorrect Employer Identification Number or Service Key.
- Internet Explorer is not set as your default internet browser.
How to Remove 15270 Error Message from QuickBooks Payroll
Troubleshooting Step 1: Check Internet Connection for any Issues.
Follow troubleshooting step 1 – Verify Internet Connectivity from our article on Payroll Update Error 12029 to fix internet connectivity issues.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Set Internet Explorer as your Default Internet Browser
NOTE: Avoid using Edge Browser in place of Internet Explorer, as it is currently not supported by QuickBooks.
- Access Internet Explorer on your Windows.
- From the top right corner click the Gear icon and then click Internet Options.
3. Now under the Programs tab click Make Default.
4. Click Apply and then OK.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Verify the Payroll Service key in QuickBooks to Fix Error 15270
- Open QuickBooks, and from under the Employees tab move your cursor to My Payroll Service and select Manage Service Key.
- Now under the QB Service Key window click Edit if you see your payroll service listed and click Add if there is no payroll service shown in the window.
- After you click Edit note down the Service Key and then click Remove.
- On the confirmation window click Yes.
- Once the service key is removed click Add.
- Now enter your Service Key, and Employer Identification Number then hit Next and Finish.
- Now click OK on the Payroll Update window and make sure your payroll subscription is showing an Active Status.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Verify your payroll subscription with QuickBooks
Follow troubleshooting step 2 – Verify your QuickBooks Payroll Subscription from our article on Payroll Update Error 15276 for payroll subscription verification.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Run QuickBooks Reboot.bat file
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop application and right click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop.
- Click Properties and then select Open File Location.
- Locate and right click Reboot.bat file in the QuickBooks folder.
- Now click Run as Administrator and wait for the process to register all the QuickBooks files to Windows.
- Once the DOS window is closed automatically, restart your computer and check whether the error 15270 is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Rename Paysub.ini File on Windows
Follow Troubleshooting step 2 Rename Paysub.ini file from our article on Verify Payroll Subscription Error to resolve any issues with Paysub.ini file.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Scan Windows using a Virus and Malware Removal Tool
If none of the troubleshooting helps then this error might be a result of an infection present on your computer. We suggest you install an antivirus and a malware removal tool to remove any infections present on Windows.
Final Step to Remove 15270 Payroll Update Error
These are some of the troubleshooting steps that you can follow to rectify QuickBooks update error 15270. Most of the times following these 7 steps in the given order resolves the error but in case if you are still facing the same issue, then we might need to repair and reinstall QuickBooks. For complete list of instructions on how to repair and reinstall QuickBooks Desktop app follow troubleshooting step 4 and 5 from our article on How to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Errors.
We understand that removing Error code 15270 from QuickBooks sometimes can be a tiresome task as it involves a lot of troubleshooting steps and thus we are always ready to help users in such situations. You can call our QuickBooks Payroll Support Number (844)-888-4666 to connect with one of our QuickBooks Payroll expert who will help you resolve such errors in the shortest time possible.