There could be several reasons you might want to move your QuickBooks Desktop application to a different computer along with the license, and in this article, we are going to discuss the whole process in details. The process of transferring the QuickBooks Desktop application to a different computer is not complex unless you know the right method and follow the correct instructions. Further, in this article, you will find the requirements and step-by-step instructions of installing QuickBooks to a different computer along with this you will also find the additional steps you need to take after moving QuickBooks Desktop to the other computer.
Requirements of Moving QuickBooks Desktop to a Different Computer
Before starting the process of moving QuickBooks to a different computer, make sure to have the following things ready:
- Make sure the other computer on which you want to install QuickBooks Desktop is connected to the internet, as you will need to register the product after the installation.
- An external storage device that you will need to move your QuickBooks Desktop files (For Example: a USB storage device or an external hard disk).
- License and Product registration information.
- QuickBooks Desktop installation disk or the setup file on an external storage device.
- Remove QuickBooks Desktop from the first computer.
- Make sure to take a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
Using QuickBooks Migrator Tool to Transfer QuickBooks to a Different Computer
Steps to Perform on Old Computer
- Make sure to sign in as an administrator on your computer.
- Plugin the USB drive to the computer.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the File tab click Move QuickBooks to another Computer.
- Click I’m Ready and choose a strong password.
- Now select the USB drive to copy all the files that need to be moved to the other computer.
- Wait until the file copy process completes and then safely remove the USB drive from the computer.
Steps to Perform on New Computer
- Insert the USB drive and wait until the QuickBooks Migrator tool automatically appear, if not then click the Move_QuickBooks.bat file from the USB drive.
- Now enter the password that you set up while moving files on the old computer.
- Click Let’s go and wait for the tool to complete the QuickBooks migration task.
- It might take a while if your computer’s performance is low.
- After the installation, open QuickBooks and from under the Help tab click Register QuickBooks.
- Enter all the required information for the registration like phone number, postal code, and license key and register the product.
Steps to follow after Moving QuickBooks to the Other Computer
- In order to use all the feature of QuickBooks Desktop like Payroll and Intuit Data Protect you will need to sign in into each service separately.
- If you have, more than one company files, then copy the other company files to the new computer using an external storage device.
- Make sure to create a backup of your company file data on the new computer.
There are certain difficulties you might face after moving QuickBooks to the other computer, as the migration process does not transfer all the QuickBooks data. If you have successfully transferred your QuickBooks Desktop to a new computer and now you are dealing with errors or any difficulties then get in touch with us at our QuickBooks Desktop Helpline Number (844)-888-4666 for assistance.