You might encounter error 1904 while installing QuickBooks whether it’s your first time installing QuickBooks or you are upgrading your QuickBooks version from pro to premier. This error closely relates to the Microsoft components required to install and run QuickBooks on Windows. Most often damaged Microsoft Visual C++ files triggers QuickBooks error 1904 during installation. You might also notice this error after switching to a new Windows OS (for example Windows 10 installation on a Windows 8 computer). The error message displayed clearly describes the file that is causing the QuickBooks Enterprise error 1904 to evolve. The error message reads “We’re sorry! Something went wrong with your installation. Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files (X86)\QuickBooks 2018\ICWrapper.dll” failed to register”.
What Causes QuickBooks Error 1904 Module Failed to Register
Multiple reasons including damaged Microsoft components cause QuickBooks to show error message Error 1904 module failed to register icwrapper.dll, other files you might notice in this error are qbprefs.dll, qbupdate.exe, cv32.dll, QBversionTool.dll, and RcnFndRequestHandler.dll. Following are some of the other reasons that cause QuickBooks 1904 installation error to emerge on Windows operating systems.
- Installation of a new Windows operating system.
- Damaged QuickBooks installer file.
- Upgrading QuickBooks Desktop application version.
- Any Windows security application is interrupting QuickBooks installation.
- The user is not having required permissions for installation on Windows.
How to fix QuickBooks 1904 module failed to register error
Follow the series of troubleshooting steps in the given order as listed below for a quick resolution of QuickBooks enterprise error 1904
Troubleshooting Step 1: Download and Install QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Follow troubleshooting Step 3 Download and Use QB Install Diagnostic Tool from our article on QuickBooks Error 1328 for the complete list of instructions on using QuickBooks Install Repair Tool to fix any installation errors.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Activate Hidden Admin Account on Windows
NOTE: Activating hidden/built-in admin account on windows will turn off UAC (User Account Control) on Windows that will remove all the operating system restrictions from QuickBooks and other applications installed on Windows. The built-in admin account is only used for troubleshooting common application issues and is not suggested for regular use.
- Click the Start button on your keyboard and type CMD in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Right click the CMD file at the top of the list and click Run as Administrator.
- Now in the black color cmd window type command net user administrator /active:yes and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- In case, an error message pops up on the screen then type net user administrator /active and hit Enter.
- For more info on activating Built in administrator on Windows, follow the article How to enable the built-in Administrator account in Windows by Microsoft.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Login to Built in Admin Account on Windows
- Click the Start button on the desktop and select Switch User.
- Now select Default Admin Account.
- Alternatively, press and hold Control + Alt + Delete key on your keyboard at the same time to get the Switch User option.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Disable Built in Admin Account
- Click the Start button and type CMD in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Right-click the CMD file from the list and click Run as Administrator.
- Now type net user administrator /active:no in the command prompt window and hit Enter.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Set Proper User Folder Access Permission
- Open Windows File Explorer and navigate to C: \ Program Files \ Common Files.
- Right click the folder named Common Files and then click Properties.
- Under the Security tab, click Edit.
- Now click Users under Group or Usernames.
- Under the Permission for users tab, allow Modify, List Folder Contents, Write, Read, and Read and Execute options.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Add QuickBooks to the Exception List of any Security Program Installed on Windows
If Windows is installed with a security program like an antivirus or a firewall, then open any of such programs and add QuickBooks in their exception list.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Reinstall Adobe Flash Player to remove QuickBooks Install Error 1904
- Press Windows + R key on the keyboard at the same time to open the Run window.
- Type Control Panel in the Run window and press Enter.
- Click Uninstall a Program and then double click Adobe Flash Player from the list of programs.
- Click Uninstall and proceed with the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstallation process.
- Now install Adobe Flash Player from Adobe’s official website.
- Once the installation is finished, restart your computer and try reinstalling QuickBooks again.
If even after following all the troubleshooting steps, you are still facing the same error message “QuickBooks installation error 1904 failed to register” then the error might be a result of faults in some other Windows components. We suggest you connect with QuickBooks Error Support Team at (844)-888-4666 and one of our Desktop experts will take a closer look at the causes of the error and will provide you with a quick solution in no time.