Every application running on Windows require proper permission and administrative rights to perform any action and if the application does not have rights to access system resources then the application encounter errors. QuickBooks is a broad application that requires permission to access most of the Windows components and error -12, 0 occurs when QuickBooks does not have administrator permission on Windows. The user receives an error message “We’re sorry, QuickBooks encountered a problem… Error codes: (-12, 0)” once encountered this error. Read out the complete article for complete troubleshooting info.
Steps to Resolve Error -12, 0 in QuickBooks Desktop
NOTE: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps make sure, you are logged in as an administrator on Windows, and your QuickBooks Desktop application has the most recent updates.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Verify QuickBooks Desktop Version
- Open QuickBooks Desktop application and press F2 key on your keyboard.
- Alternately, press Ctrl + 1 key on your keyboard to open the Product Information window.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Restart QuickBooks Service
- Press Windows + R key on your keyboard.
- Type Services.msc in the Run window’s search box.
- Press OK or hit Enter.
- Locate QBDataServiceUserXX in the list of services where XX stands for the QuickBooks version you are using.
- Click the QuickBooksDBXX and from the left side panel select Restart.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Set Folder Access Permission
- Right click the service name and select Properties.
- Under the Security tab, click Everyone for Group or User Names.
- Select Full Control under Permissions for Everyone section.
- Click Apply and then OK.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor scans QuickBooks Desktop application for common error that arises due to improper installation and other technical glitches on Windows. Follow our article on Fix Damaged Company File or Network for detailed instructions on how to use QuickBooks File Doctor.
After following the troubleshooting steps, open QuickBooks and check if you are still facing the same error. If while opening the company file you get a new error message, “This Action Requires Windows Administrator Permissions, Error -12, 0” then we suggest you get in touch with one of our QuickBooks technical support experts at (844)-888-4666 for quick assistance and help.