Error 502 Bad Gateway is one of the common browser errors that not only affect QuickBooks but also negatively impact other web applications running on browsers like Google Chrome and Firefox. In most of the applications, error 502 arises because of an invalid response from the server but in case of QuickBooks, this happens when the browser’s cache memory is full. 502 Bad Gateway error can appear in both QuickBooks Online, and it’s Desktop application while running payroll or while logging into the QuickBooks Online account. Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article to get rid of 502 Bad Gateway in QuickBooks Online App.
What is QuickBooks App 502 Bad Gateway Error?
Whenever you visits a webpage, the browser saves data from the page in its cache memory to load it faster the next time you visit the same webpage. If the cache memory is full and your browser is unable to store any more data, then it gives an error message 502 bad gateway in QuickBooks Online. Error message 502 bad gateway can easily be removed from the browser by clearing its cache memory, but sometimes you might need to apply additional troubleshooting steps for a fix. Further, in this article, you will find some more reasons that cause QuickBooks Error 502 along with the solution.
Following are the operations where you might face 502 Bad Gateway Error message in QuickBooks Online:
- The error might appear while running payroll
- Logging into the online app
- Updating the QuickBooks Online desktop app
- Viewing and downloading forms in the browser
Why QuickBooks Encounters 502 Bad Gateway Error
The only few reasons that cause QuickBooks Online and the Online Desktop app to show 502 Bad Gateway message are:
- Browser’s cache memory is full
- Intuit’s website is not added as a trusted site in the browser
- QuickBooks application’s cache memory is full
- Active Scripting is turned off in the browser’s settings
Troubleshooting Steps to Resolve QuickBooks 502 Bad Gateway Error
Troubleshooting Step 1: Clear Cache and Cookies of the Browser
For Google Chrome:
- Open Chrome and click the three dots at the top right corner.
- Move your cursor over More Tools and select Clear Browsing Data.
- Make sure All Time is selected in the Time Range drop-down list.
- Check-mark Browsing History, Cookies, and Other Site Data, and Cached Images and Files boxes.
- Click the Clear Data button.
- For more info visit Google’s article on Clearing Cache and Cookies from Chrome.
- Click the three bars at the top right and select Options.
- Click Privacy and Security tab and check-mark Cookies and Site Data and Cached Web Content boxes.
- Click Clear.
- For more info, follow the article on How to Clear Firefox Cache.
- Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools option from the top, and select Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, click Delete.
- Check-mark Temporary Internet Files and Cookies check-boxes.
- Click Delete button.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Clear Cache from the QuickBooks Online Desktop App
- If you are using QuickBooks Online Desktop app, then open the application and click Reset App Data under the Help tab.
- Restart the application and check if error 502 Bad Gateway is resolved.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Add Intuit as a Trusted Website in the Browser’s Settings
For Internet Explorer:
- Under Tools, select Internet Options.
- Select Trusted Sites under the Security tab.
- Click Sites and then type *.intuit.com and make sure to uncheck Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check-box.
- Click Add then hit Close and OK.
For Safari on Mac:
- Open Safari browser and type intuit.com in the address bar and press Enter.
- Click Bookmarks and select Add Bookmark.
- From the Add this Page to drop-down list select Top Sites and click Add.
- If you are still getting 502 bad gateway error message, then follow the last troubleshooting step.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Enable Active Scripting in Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer and click Internet Options from under the Tools menu.
- Click the Internet icon under the Security tab.
- Select Custom Level and then click Enable for Active Scripting.
- Hit OK.
If following the troubleshooting steps don’t help and you are still getting 502 Bad Gateway message in your browser while using QuickBooks Online Desktop app then we suggest you get in touch with us at our QuickBooks Error Support Helpline Number (844)-888-4666. We might need to investigate the error further to provide you a quick and permanent solution.