Errors while updating QuickBooks Desktop are quite common and can appear anytime in the application during various operations. QuickBooks Update error can also affect the QuickBooks Desktop features like payroll, and once you encounter any of such update errors, the application won’t allow you to download or install any updates.
We all know how important it is to install the updates of any application, as it removes the bugs from the application, makes it more secure, and adds new features for user convenience. Intuit, like other application developers, also releases regular updates of QuickBooks Desktop and if you are getting any errors while updating QuickBooks, then follow the troubleshooting mentioned further in this article for a quick solution.
Are you unable to update your QB application and access the latest QB features? Worry not! Either read this article till the end or reach out to our QB specialists at the helpline Number +1- 855 738 2784 for Instant Support and resolution
What are QuickBooks Update Error?
As the name suggests, QuickBooks Desktop update errors don’t let QuickBooks update. It hinders the update procedure by flashing error messages or codes on the screen. Further, it can also crash the system or it will freeze and not respond to the instructions. Such errors where QuickBooks will not update can affect the system pretty heavily.
Usually, users will receive a notification from the application that an update is ready to install. However, when they proceed with the procedure, QuickBooks won’t update. The error codes that most commonly emerge in this scenario are:
- QuickBooks error 404
- QuickBooks error 1328
- QuickBooks error 6190
- QuickBooks error code 12007
- QuickBooks error message 12038
- QB error 12045
- QuickBooks error 12157
- QB Errors 15XXX series
What Trigger QuickBooks Desktop 2023 Update Error?
There are various types of update error that one can encounter and every error displays a different error code, some of the common update errors that you might face are Error 12157, Error 1603, Error 15271, Error PS038, and QuickBooks Error 404. Following are some of the known reasons that cause update errors in QuickBooks Desktop application.
- QuickBooks needs to close to install updates due to incorrect Date and Time settings on your Windows computer.
- Internet connectivity issues.
- Windows Firewall is preventing the QuickBooks critical update from happening.
- More than one installation of QuickBooks Desktop on Windows.
- Restrictive internet security settings can also lead to QuickBooks update problems.
- A misread file on the Windows computer can lead to errors in updating the application.
- An outdated Windows Operating System can be the answer to why is QuickBooks not updating.
- Issues with digital signatures can also lead to this issue.
Now that we have some knowledge of what update errors are and why QuickBooks update won’t install let’s look into effective troubleshooting methods to eradicate this issue from the core.
Recommended To Read – Resolve QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Update Error
Troubleshooting Step 1: Check Date and Time on your Computer
Incorrect date and time settings on the computer can lead you to QuickBooks Desktop not updating errors. Let’s see how to fix it:
- Make sure that the date and time displayed on your system are correct if not then right-click the date and time displayed at the lower right corner of your desktop screen and select Adjust Date and Time.
- Unmark Set the Time Automatically slider box and click Change under the Change the date and time settings.
- Now set correct date and time and make sure that Set the Time Zone Automatically option is turned on.
- Click Change and close the Date and Time window.
- Open QuickBooks and try to download the updates again.
If QuickBooks won’t update even after this solution, proceed with the next one.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Verify and Setup your Internet Connection
Internet connectivity issues pave the way for QuickBooks update not working issue. Let’s dive into its resolution:
- Open Internet Explorer and visit a safe website that you regularly visit like intuit.com.
- If you are not able to access the website or getting any error message like Unable to Connect to the Internet, then contact your IT person or Support for help. If the website is loaded successfully, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, and under the Help tab click Internet Connection Setup.
- Click Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.
- Hit Next and choose Advanced Connection Settings.
- Now click Restore Advanced Settings under the Advanced tab.
- Click OK and then hit Done.
If the QuickBooks desktop update still doesn’t work, do as follows:
Troubleshooting Step 3: Configure your Computer’s Firewall Settings
Interruptions due to firewall restrictions can be pretty annoying and a primary cause of QuickBooks update issues. Its resolution can be as follows:
- Press the Start button and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the list and click the Port Monitor option.
- Note down the Port Number of your version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now click the Start button again and search for Windows Firewall.
- Select Windows Firewall and click the Advanced Settings option from the left.
- Now right-click the Inbound Rules option and hit New Rule
- Click Port and then hit Next.
- The TCP option must be enabled.
- Now, checkmark the Specific Local Ports and enter the port number in the text box.
- Click Next and choose Allow the Connection.
- Click Next and type a name for this new rule.
- Now follow the same steps to set the outbound rules for QuickBooks.
The next step will help you get rid of issues causing errors in QuickBooks updates.
Note: For detailed instructions on allowing an app through Windows Firewall follow article How to Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Remove the Second Copy of QuickBooks Desktop
If you have the same version of QuickBooks Desktop installed twice on your computer then it can cause you to face update errors, we suggest you remove the other copy of the application and keep only one application installed on Windows. It may help your QuickBooks update procedure to go smoothly.
Troubleshooting Step 5. Open QuickBooks as an Administrator
The QuickBooks Desktop update error might also occur when the user does not have admin permissions to install the latest update. To resolve this, you need to run QuickBooks as an administrator. Here’s how:
- Exit all the programs running on your computer.
- Reboot the system.
- Find and right-click the QuickBooks.
- Then, choose Run as Administrator.
If you still get the QuickBooks desktop pro updates error, then proceed to the next troubleshooting step to update QuickBooks.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Try to Run Quick Fix my Program
We can make use of Quick Fix my Program to fix the critical update issue. To run the tool, we need to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub on your workstation. Here’s how to initiate the QuickBooks pro update:
- Exit QuickBooks.
- Get the most recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file from downloads.
- Install the tool hub by following the prompted steps.
- Mark the Agree to the terms and conditions box to proceed.
- Double-click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
- Once the QuickBooks Tool Hub opens, choose the Program Problems
- Select Quick Fix my Program.
In case QuickBooks failed to update error still appears, move to the next step.
Troubleshooting Step 7. Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If the QuickBooks update issue arises due to installation files, we can fix the problem using QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub. Following are the steps to do so:
- Once again, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Within the tool hub, click on the Installation Issues tab.
- Next, select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- The tool will run to fix the installation issues.
- Restart your workstation once the tool repairs the installation errors.
Proceed to the resolution of QuickBooks not working after Windows update as follows.
Troubleshooting Step 8: Download Digital Signature Certificate
An absent or invalid digital signature can cause issues when QuickBooks critical updates needed. Resolve it as follows:
- Move to the C Drive > Intuit > QuickBooks location where your QuickBooks application is installed.
- Locate the qbw32.exe file and select the Properties option.
- Now, move the cursor to the Digital Signature tab and select Intuit in the signature list.
- Next, hit the Details button.
- Further, click the View Certificate option in the Digital Signature window.
- Follow this step by choosing the Install Certificate option.
- Hit Next and Finish to conclude the process.
- Restart your system and try updating QuickBooks again.
Troubleshooting Step 9: Resort to the Safe Mode
Download updates in the safe mode to prevent other applications from blocking the procedure:
- When your system restarts, hit the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options emerge on your screen.
- Here, select the Safe Mode with Networking option and press Enter.
- Now, try downloading the updates again.
- When the updates installs successfully, restart the system in normal mode.
Read Also – Fix QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
Troubleshooting Step 10: Reset the updates
When 15xxx series errors appear on your screen, do as follows:
- Begin by running the reboot.bat file.
- Start the system again and open the QB Desktop.
- Choose the install now option if prompted to install the update.
- If you can’t do so, delete and download the updates again.
- Visit the QB Desktop and follow this path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks \ Components.
- Now, open QB, move to the help menu and choose to Get the Updates.
- Hit the Update now checkbox in the update QuickBooks Desktop option and ensure to mark the reset the updates checkbox.
- Select Get updates and re-download the updates.
- Finish downloading and initiate installation to let the update finish.
There are still possibilities that you can get a new QuickBooks update Error after following all the steps mentioned in this article as QuickBooks is an extensive application and requires multiple system resources to function, even a minor misconfiguration in Windows and application’s settings can trigger update errors. In case if you are not able to resolve the error you are facing and need help, you can call our Desktop technical Support Number +1- 855 738 2784 for instant support.
Which files should I permit in firewall settings to fix QuickBooks Update Error?
Allow the following processes access as follows:
Activate the ports with 443 and 80 digits. Then, permit these files:
What does the QB File Doctor tool do to fix QuickBooks Update Error?
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool in QuickBooks Tool Hub can fix several errors. It diagnoses, scans, and repairs various issues like network, company files, etc. Run it by installing from recognized sources and finish the installation. The Company File issues tab have this option in the tool hub.
Related Posts –
Quick Fixes to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 6010
Eliminate QuickBooks Error 1612 with this Detailed Guide
Step Wise Troubleshooting Guide to Resolve QuickBooks Error 1920
A Detailed Guide to Getting Rid of QuickBooks Error 12152
UPDATED METHODS to Quickly Resolve QuickBooks Error 12031