In this article, we are going to guide you through a progressive method of resolving QuickBooks error OL 301 and OL 393 that shows up while connecting or downloading banking transactions online. You might get an error message “Your financial institution sent an error message. It might be because your account info changed or they haven’t turned on a service, like online bill pay. Find common fixes for this error or give your bank a call” once encountered the OL 393 or OL 301 error. You can effortlessly rectify these errors by following the set of instructions mentioned further in the article.
What Triggers OL 301 and OL 393 Errors in QuickBooks
There are many variations of OL errors with different error codes that one can face while using online banking in QuickBooks. Error OL 393 and Error OL 301 arises when for some reasons QuickBooks is not able to verify users information with the bank or is not able to connect with the bank due to some technical faults.
You might also notice a different type of error message displayed on the screen “QuickBooks and the bank cannot exchange data because they have different account information.” after getting one of these errors. Down below listed are all the possible reasons that cause QuickBooks bank connection error OL 301 and OL 393.
- The bank account information entered in QuickBooks Desktop is incorrect.
- You are trying to access a service that is not yet activated like (Online Bill Payment Service).
- Incorrect login credentials for online banking.
- The status of your account is inactive, or your account is blocked by the bank for some reasons.
- Your identity confirmation request is still under process by the bank.
- The server used by the bank is down due to maintenance.
- The company file that you are using in QuickBooks Desktop is damaged or corrupt.
NOTE: If you have recently installed a new version of QuickBooks Desktop or updated the version you are using then it is suggested that you verify your identity to your bank once again. To verify your identity to the bank, sign in to your online banking using a web browser and check the notification for the identity confirmation request.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Error OL 393 and Error OL 301
Before proceeding further with the troubleshooting steps make sure to take a backup of your QuickBooks Desktop company file, as it will eliminate the risk of losing important company’s data.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Setup a New Company Test File
- Click the File tab and select New Company.
- Hit the Express Start option.
- Fill all the required information to create a company and hit Create Company button.
- If you don’t get any error using this test company file, then follow further troubleshooting steps but in case the problem persists then this might be happening because of some technical glitches at your bank’s end, and you should contact your bank for further help and information.
- Once you contact your bank, ask them to verify your account info so that you can use QuickBooks without getting any OL errors.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Reset the Connection of your Account in QuickBooks
- Click Chart of Accounts from under the Lists
- Locate and right-click the account and choose Edit Account.
- Under the Bank Feed Settings tab, click Deactivate all online services.
- Click OK and then Save & Close.
Once the online bank feed of the account is deactivated, we need to reactivate the online bank feed once again, follow the steps below for reactivation
- For Direct Connect – click Bank Feeds under the Banking tab and select Set up Bank Feed for an Account option.
- Choose your bank and fill all the information that is required.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen to complete the process.
- For Web Connect – Login to your online banking account and download the banking transaction file in .qbo format and save it on the desktop.
- Click Utilities under the File tab.
- Click Import and then Web Connect Files.
- Select the .qbo file that is saved on the desktop and hit Open.
- Now select Use an existing QuickBooks account option in the Bank Account
- Hit OK after you see Your Web Connect data has been successfully read into QuickBooks.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Check QuickBooks for any Inactive Accounts
- Select Chart of Accounts from the Lists
- From the Accounts drop down menu, select Show Inactive Accounts.
- Right click any account that is inactive and select Edit Account.
- Under the Bank Feed Settings tab check mark the Deactivate all Online Services option.
- Click OK on the confirmation window.
- Restart QuickBooks and check if the error OL 301 and error OL 393 is fixed.
- Repeat the same process and deactivate any other inactive accounts.
- Follow next troubleshooting step if still getting the same error.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Check QuickBooks Desktop Company File for any Errors
QuickBooks File Doctor repairs any damage in the data file automatically. For complete instructions on how to use QuickBooks File Doctor, follow our article on How to Fix Damaged Company File.
If the data is severely damaged, then you might get error OL-301 and OL-393 even after running rebuild data utility multiple times. If this is the case, then we suggest you call QuickBooks Desktop Technical Helpline Number (844)-888-4666 for help as you might lose a significant amount of critical company’s data because of such data damage in the company file. Our QuickBooks Desktop technical support experts are proficient in handling such cases and provides complete resolution to such types of errors to QuickBooks users.