Today in this article, we are going to discuss QuickBooks Error 15106, which is one of the common 15XXX series error that affects QuickBooks. Error 15106 in QuickBooks mainly affects the update function and every time a user tries to perform an update of QuickBooks or payroll, they receive an error message “The update program is damaged, or the update program cannot be opened.” Unlike other 15XXX series errors QuickBooks Payroll Update error arises mainly because of two reasons that we have discussed further in this article, so follow the complete article for more information about the error and its troubleshooting method.
What is QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106?
The installer is a piece of software that install programs, and its updates on the Windows operating system and when the installer is damaged or corrupt the application throws errors. The same thing happens with QuickBooks when its installer is damaged or corrupt and when the user tries to install the QuickBooks or update the payroll it gives an error 15106.
So if you have encountered QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106, we need to take all the necessary steps to repair the installer and remove the third-party applications that are causing damage to the installer file.
What Cause QuickBooks to Encounter Update Error 15106
There are several reasons that cause errors while updating payroll or installing QuickBooks and error 15106 arises when for some reasons QuickBooks installer file gets corrupt or the user does not have required permission to perform the update on Windows. Down below we have listed all the reasons that might cause QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106.
- QuickBooks installation fails to install all the additional components those are later required to update the application and payroll.
- You might have installed WebRoot antivirus application on your computer that detects QuickBooks installer as a potential threat and blocks its operations on Windows.
- If your user account does not have Windows administrative rights then also you might get QuickBooks Update Error 15106.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106
NOTE: Make sure to follow our article How to Rectify QuickBooks Error 15241 if QuickBooks is stuck in the middle of the update.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Login with an Administrator Account on Your Computer
- Click the Start button and select Control Panel or press Windows + R key and type Control Panel in the Run Window and press Enter.
- Select User Accounts and Family Safety and then click User Accounts.
- Hit Manage another account and enter the admin password if prompted.
- You can see the account type just below the name of the account, if your account is already an administrator account then follow the next troubleshooting step and if not then you need to ask your IT administrator to assign administrative rights to your user. Follow the link and find more details on Logging as an Administrator on Windows.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Reset QuickBooks Updates
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and select Update QuickBooks under the Help tab.
- Select Mark all under the Options tab.
- Hit Save and then navigate to the Update Now tab.
- Checkmark Reset Update now checkbox and click Get Updates.
- If you are, still getting QuickBooks Error, 15106 while updating payroll then follow the next step.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Repair QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- Press Windows + R on keyboard and type command “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter.
- From the list of installed programs under the Uninstall or Change a Program window scroll down and double-click QuickBooks.
- Select Change / Remove and click Next.
- Make sure the Repair option is selected and click Next.
- Hit Repair to start repairing QuickBooks installation for removing QuickBooks Error message 15106.
- In case if you get an error message File in Use the select Ignore and proceed with the Repair.
- Once the repair is completed, restart your computer and open QuickBooks application.
- Select Install Now when you get the QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update window.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Remove WebRoot Spyware Sweeper
- Click the Start button on your Windows desktop and select Control Panel.
- Choose Add / Remove Programs.
- Double-click WebRoot from the list and click Uninstall/Remove.
- Select Uninstall and click Next.
- Follow on-screen instructions to completely remove the application from Windows.
- Restart your computer and try installing QuickBooks updates once again.
- Follow the given link for more detailed information on Removing WebRoot from Windows.
If the above steps are not successful in removing Error code 15106 from QuickBooks, then you can call our technical support team at (844)-888-4666 for further assistance. We might need to set up a remote session with you to completely resolve QuickBooks Error 15106 from your computer.