Are you looking for an easy way to transfer your QuickBooks company file or all of your QuickBooks data to a new computer? If yes then this article is for you. There could be several reasons you might want to move your QuickBooks company file to a new computer like performance issues with your old computer or you just want to upgrade your desktop computer. In this article, we have described a quick and easy method that you can follow to transfer the company file to a new computer without facing any troubles. Follow the complete article for detailed instructions.
Steps to Perform Before Moving the QuickBooks Company File
Down below we have listed a few essential requirements that you need to follow before transferring the QuickBooks company file to your other computer so make sure to fulfill all the requirements before starting the company file migration process.
- Install the same version of QuickBooks Desktop that you have on your old computer.
- Transfer the QuickBooks license and registration information from the old computer to the new one.
- Change the name of your company file on the old computer so that you won’t move the wrong file accidentally.
- Make sure to update payroll tax tables if you are a payroll user.
- Make sure to take a backup of your QuickBooks company file and other important QuickBooks data.
IMPORTANT: For detailed instructions on moving QuickBooks Desktop installation to a new computer, follow our article on How to Move QuickBooks Desktop to a New Computer.
Steps to Move your Company File to another Computer
Step 1: Create a Backup on the Old Computer and Restore it on the New one
- Open QuickBooks and switch it to single user mode if you are using it in multi-user mode.
- Create a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
- Plugin an external storage device like a USB drive or an external hard-drive.
- Copy the backup of your company file to the external storage device.
- Now safely remove the external storage device and plugin it into the new computer.
- Open QuickBooks on the new computer and restore the backup using the Open or Restore Company option under the File menu.
Step 2: Migrate Complete QuickBooks Data to the Other Computer
- Open QuickBooks Desktop application and press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard and check out the location of QuickBooks data folder.
- Open Windows File Manager and navigate to the location where all the QuickBooks data is saved.
- Click the folder and press Ctrl + C on the keyboard.
- Now paste the folder into your external drive.
- Plugin the external drive into the new computer and copy the QuickBooks folder.
- Paste the QuickBooks folder to your desktop and open QuickBooks.
- Now open the company file from the new folder on your desktop.
Step 3: Restore QuickBooks Data using IDP
- If your Intuit Data Protect plan supports the backup of your entire PC, then you can use it to migrate complete QuickBooks data to another computer.
- Create a backup of your QuickBooks data on your old computer.
- Login to your IDP account and save the backup file to the online backup.
- Now login to your IDP account on the new computer and restore the backup from there.
Sometimes users face issues after moving data to another computer and this happens when some important QuickBooks files are not copied to the other computer, which is common. If you are also dealing with errors and difficulties using QuickBooks on your new computer, then you can get direct support from Certified QuickBooks Desktop Experts at (844)-888-4666.