QuickBooks one of the leading account management software developed by Intuit that helps small and mid-sized businesses manage their accounts. You can efficiently manage your bank account, credit cards, investments, and loans in one place. While performing the online banking using QuickBooks you might get some errors and glitches that can degrade the performance of the application. There are many variations of OL errors that a user can encounter where every different error triggers a different issue in the application and today in this article, the error that we are going to examine is QuickBooks Error OL-221 that affects the connectivity of QuickBooks with the Internet.
What Cause QuickBooks Error OL-221
Numerous reasons can cause OL errors in QuickBooks Online where OL-221 is caused by the following reasons:
- Issues with your internet connection.
- Errors in the company file.
- Improper format of the imported file.
- Outdated version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- In case the bank account you are using is not active.
- Any issues with the QuickBooks Web Connect that is required to establish a connection with your online banking.
Verify the Given Points before Troubleshooting
- If you have recently installed a new version of QuickBooks or you have recently updated the current version of your QuickBooks application, then you might need to verify your identity with your bank. For verification login into your online banking from a browser and check for any notifications from the bank. If no notifications are received then contact your bank directly for more information.
- Check the internet connectivity, for this open your internet browser, type www.google.com in the address bar and press Enter. If you are able to access the website, then there are no issues with the internet, and in case you get any error accessing the website, then contact your IT administrator for assistance.
- If you are using QuickBooks Online, then make sure to access it using Internet Explorer 11 or later as any previous versions of IE and other browsers are not supported by QuickBooks.
- Open QuickBooks and press F2 for the Product Information page, note down your product version and compare it from the latest released version. In case if you are not using the latest version then update the application first.
- Verify your online banking login credentials by logging into your bank account using the web browser. In case you are unable to log in then reset your login credentials or contact the bank for help.
- Try running QuickBooks using in Classic Mode.
Solution to Fix Error OL-221
Solution 1: Allow TLS 2.1 Security Protocol under IE Settings
- Open Internet Explorer and Internet Options by clicking the Gear icon at the top-right corner.
- Under the Advanced tab navigate to the Security options.
- Unmark USE TLS 1.0 option.
- Mark the checkbox for USE TLS 1.2 option.
- Hit Apply and then OK.
- Now restart Windows and try to use QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Try using QuickBooks from a Test Company File
- Open QuickBooks and from under the File menu click New Company and select Express Start.
- Now add the bank account that is facing the trouble to this new company file.
- Download the banking transactions into this new account that we have created for the testing purpose.
- In case if you are facing any issues using the test company file, then the problem is with your bank and you should contact your bank for the resolution.
- Follow the next troubleshooting step if you are able to use QuickBooks using the Test Company file.
Solution 3: Resolve .QBO File Formatting Issues
- Follow troubleshooting step 1 from our article on QuickBooks Error OL-222 for detailed instructions on how to change the format of the QuickBooks Online data file.
Solution 4: Disable all QuickBooks Online Service Accounts
Follow this step if you have set up multiple accounts with QuickBooks Online services
- Open Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online and from the bottom of the window checkmark the Include Inactive box.
- Now select the option to Deactivate the accounts and exit the QuickBooks company file.
- Open the company file and set up every account once again.
- Try using QuickBooks and if the problem persists and you are still getting QuickBooks Error OL-221 then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 5: Get in Touch with your Banking Support
Every bank in the United States and Canada that supports QuickBooks with their online banking have a separate support team for QuickBooks related errors and in case if your issue is not resolved after following all the troubleshooting steps, then we suggest you contact your financial institution for further support. Make sure to gather your entire bank feed files before contacting your bank as they will need it to resolve the error.
OL errors are generally caused by the faults in the application made by users and can be resolved easily if the error is arising because of misconfiguration in the application. In case if you are getting the OL-221 error because of the issues at your banking end, then you should wait as such issues get resolved in a short time or contact your bank. If you need our help to rectify the OL-221 error, then you can call our QuickBooks Technical Support Number (844)-888-4666 for better assistance.