QuickBooks encounters errors while opening the company file that is quite common while running QuickBooks Desktop application. QuickBooks requires permission to access files located inside QuickBooks folder for smooth operations and when a user does not have proper read/write or delete permission then error 80070057 is triggered in QuickBooks with an error message description “The Parameter is Incorrect”. There are number of possible reasons that trigger this error in the application, and we have listed all of them further in this article. Follow the complete article for detailed troubleshooting info.
What Triggers Error 80070057 in QuickBooks Desktop
- Using an incorrect method to open company file like clicking the file to open, instead of accessing the file from the QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you are accessing the company file that is located on a different computer in the network and QuickBooks Desktop application is unable to access the file.
- Firewall application installed on your computer is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the company file.
- You are using Bit Defender antivirus that blocks access to the ports that QuickBooks requires to communicate with the internet.
- Incomplete or improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- The company file is stored on an external storage device like an external hard drive or a USB drive.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Error 80070057
Troubleshooting Step 1: Exclude QuickBooks from computer’s firewall
- Follow the troubleshooting step 2 Exclude QuickBooks from Firewall Settings from our article on QuickBooks Payroll Update Error for detailed information.
Troubleshooting Step 2: login as an administrator on your computer
- Restart your computer and login as an administrator.
- Right click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select Run as Administrator.
- If your system requires an admin password, enter the password and press Enter.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Open the company file from within the QuickBooks Desktop application
- Open QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Click the File tab at the top and select Open.
- Browse the company file located inside the QuickBooks folder and click OK.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Update QuickBooks Desktop application
- Follow the link and open the QuickBooks download page.
- Click the drop down list and select the QuickBooks product you want to download.
- Now select the version of your choice.
- Click Search and then click Get the Latest Updates.
- Save the file on your computer and double click the file from the downloads to install the latest version of the application.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Access the company file from the local storage
- Copy the company file from the external drive.
- Paste the file on the local storage of your computer.
- Open QuickBooks desktop application and click the File tab.
- Browse and select the company file from this new location.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Use QuickBooks File Doctor to repair the application
- Follow our article on How to Use QuickBooks File Doctor for complete instructions on utilizing QB File Doctor to fix error 80070057.
Troubleshooting Step 7: Reconfigure Bit Defender antivirus for allowing connections
- Open Bit Defender application on your Desktop.
- From the Dashboard, select Antivirus.
- Click Custom Level and select Exclude Path from Scan.
- Click the New Item option and select the company file on your computer.
Following all the troubleshooting steps in the given order will resolve the error 80070057 in QuickBooks but in case for some unknown reasons if you are still struggling to get rid of the error then call QuickBooks Desktop Error Support Number (844)-888-4666 for help.