Intuit Data Protect (IDP) is one of the most effective subscription services by Intuit that allows QuickBooks users to backup their vital business information online on secure servers. Currently, a user can integrate IDP with 2016 and later versions of QuickBooks Desktop. Once the service is activated, it will automatically take the backup of your data at your preferred timing everyday. There are some common errors that users face while using Intuit Data Protect that we are going to discuss in this article along with the causes that trigger these errors. Follow the complete article for detailed information.
What are the Most Common Intuit Data Protect (IDP) Errors?
Most of the errors in Intuit’s Data Protect service are caused by misconfigured settings of Windows firewall and QuickBooks Desktop application. Follow the list below to know more about the types of errors in Intuit Data Protect.
- Missing Intuit Data Protect icon from the Windows taskbar.
- IDP automatic startup no longer working.
- Scheduled backup is not working.
- Online backup failed, or IDP is not able to take online backups.
- Error 305 while taking backup.
- Error 8991 – (Backup encountered Backend error 8991).
- Backend error 2108 – (Intuit Data Protect Backup Failed: Firewall or connection issue).
- Intuit Data Protect login errors.
- IDP installation errors.
What Causes Errors in the Intuit Data Protect (IDP)
- If QuickBooks Desktop application and Intuit Data Protect is not updated to the latest version.
- If IDP and Intuit websites are not selected under the trusted websites list in the Internet settings.
- Windows Firewall is blocking IDP services to connect with the internet.
- The user is not logged in as an administrator on Windows.
- Outdated version of Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on Windows, or the installation is corrupt.
- Incorrect login credentials cause login errors in Intuit Data Protect.
- Installation errors arise when the Windows computer does not meet minimum system requirements for IDP installation.
- IDP services are excluded from the Windows startup program list.
Quick Solutions for Intuit Data Protect Errors
- On your Windows computer, make sure to login with an account that has administrative rights.
- Verify your user id and password to avoid any IDP account login errors.
- Make sure your system is having 1 GB of free disk space and a minimum of 150 MB of RAM available for running IDP.
Troubleshooting Step 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop and Intuit Data Protect
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop application, and under the Help tab click Update QuickBooks.
- Click the Update Now tab and scroll down to make sure Data Protect is check marked in the list of QuickBooks features.
- Click Get Updates and once the updates are downloaded, restart QuickBooks for installing the updates.
Troubleshooting Step 2: Configure the Windows Firewall to allow IDP to access the internet
- Click the Windows Start button on your desktop and type Firewall in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Click Allow a Program through Windows Firewall from the list.
- Now select Allow Another App and click Browse.
- Now navigate to Program Files (x86)\ Common Files \Intuit\ Data Protect folder and select QBIDPservice.exe file and click Open.
- Click the Network Type button and check mark the box beside the Private
- Click OK and then click Add once again to add IBUenghost.exe and IntuitDataProtect.exe files.
Troubleshooting Step 3: Include IDP in the Trusted Websites list under the Internet Settings
- Click the Windows Start button on Desktop and type Internet Options inside the Search Program and Files search box.
- Click Internet Options from the list and from under the Security tab select Trusted Sites.
- Now click Sites and type IDP and Intuit’s websites one by one (backup.com, *.intuit.net, *.intuitdataprotect.com, *.intuit.com, *.quickbooks.com, workplace.intuit.com) and click Add and make sure Require Server Verification checkbox is not marked.
- Once you are done with adding the websites, click Close and then OK.
Troubleshooting Step 4: Reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework
Follow troubleshooting step 1 Reinstall .Net Framework on Windows from our article on Event id 4 Error for detailed information on installing .NET Framework on Windows.
Troubleshooting Step 5: Run Intuit Data Protect Diagnostic Tool
- From the bottom right corner of your desktop, right click the IDP icon and select About Intuit Data Protect.
- Now press the Control key and F2 key at the same time on your keyboard.
- Click Run Diagnostics.
- If the test result returns with success, then it means the issues have been fixed but if you see any error message with description then connect with one of our expert for resolution.
Troubleshooting Step 6: Add Intuit Data Protection to Windows startup programs list
- Press and hold Windows key + letter R key on the keyboard at the same time.
- Type command msconfig in the Run box.
- Under the Startup tab checkmark all the QuickBooks services.
- Click Apply and OK.
Sometimes users have reported facing the same Intuit Data Protect Errors even after following all the necessary troubleshooting steps, and this might happen if any third party firewall or security application is interrupting IDP’s connection with the internet and there are also some lesser-known reasons that trigger such errors. We suggest you call QuickBooks Error Support Number (844)-888-4666 for help and support.